EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 May 2017, 09:18 PM   #1
miguelm

MAIL.COM the worst that can happen to your email account

Dear mail.com Member,

We understand your request but as stated previously there is no other answer we can provide you with. There is no information to recover, all emails sent to this address are lost as the account is inactive. We are not able to tell you if or when the address may become available for re-registration for various reasons.

We wish there would be a different answer we can provide you with but the account in question cannot be recovered.

With kind regards,
Your mail.com Support Team

Hi,

but I don't want a new email address, when it will be free again? I did access in the last 6 months for sure so that is an error
can you please check again and help me to recover my address please?
thank you
Miguel

On Fri, 26th May 2017 at 8:45 am, Jaylord Escarda wrote:
Dear mail.com Member,

Our system shows that the address you are referring to was deactivated due to account inactivity of more than 6 months as outlined in our Terms and Conditions. You may have received the error message "You've entered an invalid Email address / password combination." or even a message referring to a "block". The messages are triggered automatically and can be misleading at times. We apologize about this - we are in the process of re-working our error messages.

While this is a standard answer an agent manually checked your account and found that the address you provided is in the deletion process which is why you can't access the account.

The deletion process might still be in progress but we are not able to reverse this. Please note that we are not able to recover the account for you and there is no account data (such as email history, email content, contacts etc.) to be retrieved. Please be aware that even after deletion, we cannot guarantee that you can use the same email address again for various technical reasons. Therefore, we recommend that you sign up for a new email account with a different address of your choice.

We understand that this may not be a satisfactory answer, but it is the only one we can provide you with.

With kind regards,
Your mail.com Support Team

On Fri, 26th May 2017 at 2:04 am,
Hello,
I am unable to login to my account as explain previous
can you help?
thank you
Miguel
miguelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 May 2017, 11:54 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Well,. what feedback do you want us (EMD folks) to provide?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 05:58 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Interesting that they are so strict about inactivity. I have seen that disclaimer on many email providers, but it seems somewhat rare that companies actually invoke the clause. In fact, I have discovered that accounts I had previously deactivated actually still existed! Google gives you 2-3 weeks to reactivate an inactivated account.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:03 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

All email accounts have TOS (Terms Of Service), and nearly all free email accounts have an inactivity time. You ignore the TOS at your own peril! If you are worried about this you should get a paid account. See section 2.4 of the TOS:
Quote:
2.4. If your account is not a Premium Services email account, you are required to log in to your account periodically, but no less that once every six months, in order to maintain the account. You agree that in the event mail.com determines, in its sole discretion, that you have not logged in to your account for more than six months, mail.com may, without any liability to you, and in addition to any other remedies, terminate or suspend your account and erase any materials associated therewith from mail.com’s Equipment without notice to you.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:06 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

This is a good reason to choose a provider that requests valid backup contact information so you can be notified before anything is deleted.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This is a good reason to choose a provider that requests valid backup contact information so you can be notified before anything is deleted.
even WITH back up information Gmail locked me out of my own account back in 2012. I was very very lucky to get back in after 10 days!!

Form then on i learned my lession...and started to move away from Gmail. Feel free to search the internet for people who got locked out their own account at gmail. There are THOUSANDS of them!! Just like that....for no reason. And most of them can NOT get back in!!

Stability surely is an issue with free mail providers, even with large companies such as Google or Microsoft. (not to mention Yahoo or AOHell....!)

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:43 PM   #7
miguelm

I did not ignored the TOS, I did login last time 2 months ago and I am absolutely sure about it, this is on my reply to them and the reason of this post, I am ok if they block the account if I had login as per the TOS which is not true and I have mention it on my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
All email accounts have TOS (Terms Of Service), and nearly all free email accounts have an inactivity time. You ignore the TOS at your own peril! If you are worried about this you should get a paid account. See section 2.4 of the TOS:
Bill
Old 27 May 2017, 11:59 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I am sorry that you lost your account. Their TOS says they have sole discretion on this determination, and their server logs should indicate if you actively used the account. Were you sending or receiving several messages per month? If it's a free account which is not being actively used they have no incentive to keeping the account activated. The purpose of free accounts is to gain advertising revenue (in most cases) and let people try the service before purchasing an account. This forum has had many posts over the years from people using a wide range of free accounts whose accounts were dropped due to inactivity and who were sure they had been more active than the server logs indicated. I suggest not expecting that free accounts are reliable.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 05:16 PM   #9
miguelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I am sorry that you lost your account. Their TOS says they have sole discretion on this determination, and their server logs should indicate if you actively used the account. Were you sending or receiving several messages per month? If it's a free account which is not being actively used they have no incentive to keeping the account activated. The purpose of free accounts is to gain advertising revenue (in most cases) and let people try the service before purchasing an account. This forum has had many posts over the years from people using a wide range of free accounts whose accounts were dropped due to inactivity and who were sure they had been more active than the server logs indicated. I suggest not expecting that free accounts are reliable.

I understand your view, but if you see their reply it does not seem that they are concern to check the logs, correct?
I can assure with 100% certain that I have login several times before the last 6 months, take now your own assumptions and my question is, if this happen with you will you be happy?
Additional, I do also have a premium account and I was asking them how could I make the account I lost an alias of my premium account
I understand the idea behind the free accounts, but if you provide this service you should be professional or close the service as many other providers did due to their inability to run against large free email providers
Old 28 May 2017, 06:33 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelm View Post
I understand your view, but if you see their reply it does not seem that they are concern to check the logs, correct?
I can assure with 100% certain that I have login several times before the last 6 months, take now your own assumptions and my question is, if this happen with you will you be happy?
No, I personally wouldn't be happy (can't speak for n5bb...).
OTOH it's basically your word against theirs. And, I'm afraid, it's the latter which counts, however you may dislike the idea.

According to your 1st post mail.com said "Our system shows that the address you are referring to was deactivated due to account inactivity of more than 6 months". They didn't mention the magic word "logs", but isn't the meaning the same? Besides, the T&C say "mail.com determines, in its sole discretion, that you have not logged in to your account for more than six months" (my emphasis) , so you have no leg to stand on anyway.

I understand you wanted to vent your frustration here at the unfair (in your view) treatment. You got a fair amount of commiseration and advice for the future, but beyond that there is nothing EMD members can do for you.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 05:58 PM   #11
DavidJ

IMHO, posts like the OP's are always useful to the community; they can help people to choose a new email host and to design backup strategies.

As to the post's usefulness to the OP himself, people wiser than I am have suggested that the very act of telling others about his problem can provide some emotional relief, as ca a sympathetic response.

Thanks.
David.
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote