EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
nightotter

Gmail "older" / "newer"

I don't know how long it's been this way, but if you look in the upper right hand corner of your gmail home page you will notice "Newer Version" or "Older Version" depending on which one you are using. I find that the newer version will not allow auto e-mail name fill in as I type. I am using the latest version of Safari When I click on the older version it the auto-fill-in works.
nightotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Nov 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Gmail has said that the new version of Gmail will work only with Firefox 2.0 and IE7. So Safari does not fully worked with new UI. Click on "Older Version" and autocomplete will work as before.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2007, 12:40 PM   #3
nightotter

Is there a page that i can go to that describes compatibility and other faqs?
nightotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Camille
Cornerstone of the Community

I noticed that with the new version when I click on download attachment, it would "refresh" the window, giving me a blank page before the download box pops up (might be, I'm the only one experiencing this) while in the old version, the download box will just pop up without touching the current window.
I have to either hit the back button or F5 to view the page again.

I'm using Firefox 2.
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2007, 12:02 PM   #5
RichMLM

With the older [better] version I could send an email to multiple personal groups and gmail would automatically eliminate duplicates. Example use: Say somebody sends me a great joke that multiple people in several groups would enjoy. With the older version of gmail, I can specify the groups I want to send the joke to and gmail will handle eliminating duplicates. With the new version, I don't see how it's possible to send one email to multiple groups in one action. To me, that's a big step backwards.

Rich in MN USA
RichMLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:44 PM   #6
MrKaraokeSteve

Old Version

I love the old version of better, is there to auto use the old version all the time instead of the new version?

I know I can keep changing to old, but would like it auto to old?
MrKaraokeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:35 PM   #7
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

Ive been trying to figure out how to set it and keep it in the older version, too. Or, at least make gmail skins work in the newer version.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2007, 12:08 AM   #8
war17
The "e" in e-mail

You can bookmark the older version page. Then select the bookmark to open Gmail.

You can set the language to NOT English US, like English UK, you'll be sent in older version.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 11:23 AM   #9
28pfds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMLM View Post
With the older [better] version I could send an email to multiple personal groups and gmail would automatically eliminate duplicates. Example use: Say somebody sends me a great joke that multiple people in several groups would enjoy. With the older version of gmail, I can specify the groups I want to send the joke to and gmail will handle eliminating duplicates. With the new version, I don't see how it's possible to send one email to multiple groups in one action. To me, that's a big step backwards.
There is a "work-around" for this. Rename your groups by prefixing them with the word "Group". For example if you have a group called "Friends" and another named "Club", rename them to "Group-Friends" and "Group-Club". When you want to send an email to several groups, just start typing "Group" and Gmail will show all your groups in the address drop-down list. Choose the ones you want. (Note - if you remember all the group names yourself, there's not need to do this... but I have found it removes the need to do so and quickens the process.)

I have tested and can confirm that Gmail will eliminate the duplicates across multiple groups and only send the email to each address once.

I hope this solves the problem.
28pfds is offline   Reply With Quote