EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jun 2020, 11:04 AM   #1
JMac
Essential Contributor

"Mark as Read" in Rules not working

I have a few rules setup that call for certain specific domains to be marked as read and sent to spam. The good part is they are all sent to spam. The bad? None are marked as read.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2020, 06:03 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I would suggest going back and rechecking that rule to see if you actually did set the flag to "mark as read".
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 10:58 AM   #3
JMac
Essential Contributor

The first item, "Mark as Read", is most definitely checked for all the rules where I have "Send to Spam" also checked.

Hmm.. I was planning to upload a screenshot of one rule here but apparently that is not permitted.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 30 Jun 2020, 12:49 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Can't duplicate issue

I can not duplicate your issue as reported. The message is properly marked as read. My guess is that you have some side effect produced by one of:
  • Multiple normal rules acting on those messages.
  • Custom sieve script.
Here is how I made my test:
  • On a test account with only one other existing rule, I create a rule as follows.
  • From *@gmail.com
  • Only these three boxes are checked:
    • Mark as read
    • Send to spam
    • Apply to... New matching messages on arrival
I then sent test messages from my Gmail account to that Fastmail account. They all arrived in the spam folder marked as read (not bold).

When I uncheck "Mark as read", the messages arrive as expected as unread (bold).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 12:49 PM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Hmm.. I was planning to upload a screenshot of one rule here but apparently that is not permitted.
Upload your screenshot to some image site like PostImage and add the URL to it in your post here (see this for step-by-step instructions).
Old 30 Jun 2020, 08:52 PM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
I have a few rules setup that call for certain specific domains to be marked as read and sent to spam. The good part is they are all sent to spam. The bad? None are marked as read.

Any ideas?
Maybe an earlier rule is processing them?

Try temporarily changing the rule(s) that you think are processing these mails and have it instead move the mails to a specific folder, invented just for this.

If new mails still end up in Spam, then it's not the rule you think, that did it

Another possibility is if some of the generic spam-scoring rules (if you've turned them on, or not turned them off) are moving the mails..
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2020, 03:36 AM   #7
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Check that you have "mark as read" under spam settings.

If you use a rule to send email from certain domains to spam, it will get trained in SpamAssassin's Bayes, and in FM's reputation database. Eventually such mail will likely go to spam without reaching your rule.

Discarding to Spam is potentially harmful if it 's not out-and-out spam because of it's effect on Bayes.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2020, 11:13 AM   #8
JMac
Essential Contributor

I think that perhaps these messages have finally been recognized as spam and therefore being sent to the Spam folder before the rules are acted upon, as mentioned by Jeremy and Sideshow Bob above.

BTW, I am not just discarding these to spam recklessly; though I've never subscribed to or visited these websites, I receive an average of seven messages from them daily. I consider that to be spam.

When these started appearing they always were received in my Inbox. However I did just notice that they now have a spam score of 10+. SO they are apparently going directly to spam before the rules can be applied. Is there a way to have these marked as read now?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 1 Jul 2020, 11:18 AM   #9
JMac
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Check that you have "mark as read" under spam settings.

Just reread this reply and checked my spam settings - Mark as Read was NOT selected there. It is now.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 1 Jul 2020, 01:24 PM   #10
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Just to be clear here I interpreted your original post as you created a rule (or rules) to test for certain domains and if matched to send those messages to spam and marked as read. In other words the checkboxes for the actual rule in the rules then actions were "mark as read" and "send to spam". It was that "Mark as read" checkbox I was referring to, not the Spam Protections "Mark spam as read".

So if you now checked Spam Protections "Mark spam as read" and it is "working" now that tells me those messages were (are) always being classed as spam and never using your rule(s).

I base that on the fact that clicking "Mark spam as read" in Spam Protections only adds the "read" flag where spam score is checked in the sieve code and that takes place before your rules are applied (determined by comparing the sieve code with and without that checkbox checked).

If you now have "Mark spam as read" in Spam Protections then all spam will be marked as read. If that's what you want, fine. But non-spam, i.e., messages that reach the rules would still need their rule's own "mark as read" as one of their actions.

Last edited by xyzzy : 1 Jul 2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 11:35 PM   #11
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
If you now have "Mark spam as read" in Spam Protections then all spam will be marked as read. If that's what you want, fine. But non-spam, i.e., messages that reach the rules would still need their rule's own "mark as read" as one of their actions.
They have that. The issue was that he had created rules that send mail to the spam folder and mark it as read, but the mail was being caught by the spam handling sieve before it could reach his rules.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2020, 01:57 AM   #12
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
They have that. The issue was that he had created rules that send mail to the spam folder and mark it as read, but the mail was being caught by the spam handling sieve before it could reach his rules.
That;s what I was trying to say, albeit much longer.