EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Mail.md

In the other section I saw someone mentionning mail.md from Moldova.

Rather than disturbing the question about its reachable-ness, I thought I'd start a seperate more general topic about them.

Does anyone have any background info regarding reliability, stability, size of inbox, POP3 options, and expiry policy?

I never saw a Moldovan service before, I'm quite curious
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:58 AM   #2
mikedk
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Mail.md

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsunami
In the other section I saw someone mentionning mail.md from Moldova.

Rather than disturbing the question about its reachable-ness, I thought I'd start a seperate more general topic about them.

Does anyone have any background info regarding reliability, stability, size of inbox, POP3 options, and expiry policy?

I never saw a Moldovan service before, I'm quite curious
Check them out on 'Alexa'; http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main?url=mail.md
I've had an account with them for about a year, but don't use them much at present. They've increased their quota to 250Mb with a 5Mb max message size. They say they've been around since 1999. I think they might be Government sponsored. No direct POP3 unfortunately, but I like it. I'm sure POP will come.

BTW, are you not supposed to be touring the world or something?
mikedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

It's interesting because .MD registry tries to label it as a domain for medical sites, and their policy says that registrations are restricted to people in the medical field. But the fact a mail service uses them proves they don't really follow their own policy and just sell .MD domains to anyone who wishes to pay

I wonder if the service is reliable and stable. I am not very aware of Moldovan internet resources and connections.

And yes Mike, I am hopefully on a long haul around the world. Dublin was a first stop, then a year Belfast followed, and I am already curious what will be next. Maybe one of those idyllic countries we've been discussing mailservices from, who knows it may be Moldova
Old 26 Sep 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

For those amongst us who seek their email solutions in Russia and other former East Bloc nations:
www.mdemail.md

Their description on Google says : "Achieve HIPAA compliance using our secure email with encryption, hipaa compliant email archiving and secure messaging products."

Not too sure about this one, but maybe it's a hidden gem. But what does HIPAA stand for?
Old 27 Sep 2013, 01:20 AM   #5
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

HIPPA is Heath Information Privacy & Protection Act (or something like that, from memory.)

It's an legal requirement for medical providers in the USA.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

HIPPA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 06:58 PM   #7
bbauri

.md domains if promoted as medical domain are little discriminatory. A surgeon won't have any use for .md domain , rather he ( or she ) will need a .ms domain. Oh well surgeons don't use that Dr. prefix either.
bbauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbauri View Post
.md domains if promoted as medical domain are little discriminatory. A surgeon won't have any use for .md domain , rather he ( or she ) will need a .ms domain. Oh well surgeons don't use that Dr. prefix either.
That is true in Britain and the Commonwealth countries and other places that were influenced by British practices, but not in other parts of the world. In the USA, surgeons most definitely do use the "Dr." prefix.

BTW, can anyone find a TOS or privacy policy at mail.md, or any indication of the inactivity period? I wonder if the site is maintained or neglected. I have created an account and it works, but the home page displays news that is months old.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

You can sign up here in English, but the news page is outdated. But does that matter when what you want is email?

If needed the question can be asked to support as their FAQ indeed doesn't specify the inactivity period or privacy policy. It does state inboxes come with 250 MB. The local FAQ is an exact translation of the English one, a few words and terms make that clear without the need to speak Moldovan (or Romanian, which I believe is the national language). From context you can see it's the same info as in English, no info on inactivity or privacy policies neither.