EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 21 Sep 2013, 05:53 PM   #31
pippopippo204

another free email

libero.it
(to sign up click on REGISTRATI, in the upper right)

Suggestion to decrease the advertising:
after sign in
settings -> Account -> Personal Information
(bottom) uncheck all, if any
(bottom left) Commercial Information - enable disable - answer NO to both questions
pippopippo204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 05:04 AM   #32
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrey View Post
In which country is it based?
Thanks.
You talk about Safe-Mail, I assume?

Offices and servers are in Israel. Jerusalem, to be more precisely, is the city from which they operate although they may have servers elsewhere as backup.

Extremely reliable provider.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 05:31 AM   #33
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I in the past asked if anyone knew how reliable mail.ir was. Nobody ever answered so that topic is probably way back on the forum topic list (using chronological order of last replies). But maybe this topic is suitable to ask again: did anyone manage to decipher the terms (all in Farsi language) and has anyone ever tried if they're stable and reliable (and with a clean interface preferably)?
Old 25 Sep 2013, 10:32 PM   #34
pippopippo204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I in the past asked if anyone knew how reliable mail.ir was. Nobody ever answered so that topic is probably way back on the forum topic list (using chronological order of last replies). But maybe this topic is suitable to ask again: did anyone manage to decipher the terms (all in Farsi language) and has anyone ever tried if they're stable and reliable (and with a clean interface preferably)?
It seems to be down now.
The url is www.mail.ir?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:03 AM   #35
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, for sure. But it doesn't load here neither. Maybe a little downtime.

See this topic (which was never answered to but contained a link to their homepage)

I assume they're undergoing maintainance or having a downtime (which can happen to any service, no matter how unpractical it is)
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:12 AM   #36
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
TANSTAAFL - Nothing is ever free. They have to be funded somehow. I prefer to pay for my online services myself in the (maybe forlorn!) hope that, having a proper commercial relationship with the supplier, the service is more likely to treat me as a valued customer.
For free services, the customers must be the people or organisations that are providing the finances.
Sorry for the slightly late reply, only just noticed this post.

It has been said recently that "if you dont pay for a service you use, you're not the customer — you're the product". The attitude of Farcebook ("there's no such thing as privacy anymore") confirms that this is true, at least of Farcebook, and is one of many reasons why I won't touch Farcebook with a ten-foot pole.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:57 AM   #37
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
I won't touch Farcebook with a ten-foot pole.
Virtual, human or wood?

BTW it's FACEBOOK.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 06:14 AM   #38
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

A farce by any other name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
BTW it's FACEBOOK.
Obviously robert@fm meant "Farcebook" as a joke. Moreover, it is a joke with a certain ring of truth to it, IMO.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 10:24 PM   #39
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

In some countries, the service just named would be banned for the practises they do outside of their users' view. But the popularity of the service seems to make people no longer care about what happens with their data, and makes government agencies look the other way or even work with them for data mining.

Of course, sadly enough, some email providers have chosen to go the same way. Maybe not as extreme as FB as yet, but the "privacy is a thing of the past" attitude seems to have infiltrated in the email world too.

And as long as you have any email traffic with someone using a US based provider, I doubt the usefulness of trying to avoid any service hosted in the States. You can try hard to find the most strict privacy laws on the planet, but the moment the receiver of your email is using a US based service it won't make much difference and can be read into just as well.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 06:10 AM   #40
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopippo204 View Post
libero.it
(to sign up click on REGISTRATI, in the upper right)
I tried to register yesterday. After I finished and entered the captcha code the registration seemed about to go through, but then a message appeared that said (in Italian of course) that some sort of anomaly had been encountered and I should 'try the operation again in a few minutes'. I tried again but the same message appeared. Twenty-four hours later I tried again, and the exact same thing happened. I can't imagine what the problem might be. Has anyone else encountered problems creating an account?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2013, 04:27 PM   #41
pippopippo204

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
I tried to register yesterday. After I finished and entered the captcha code the registration seemed about to go through, but then a message appeared that said (in Italian of course) that some sort of anomaly had been encountered and I should 'try the operation again in a few minutes'. I tried again but the same message appeared. Twenty-four hours later I tried again, and the exact same thing happened. I can't imagine what the problem might be. Has anyone else encountered problems creating an account?
You have PM
Old 6 Oct 2013, 06:13 PM   #42
zdt

Quote:
(not sure if still operating) Mail.gr
This one may be a bit old, but I guess it might be useful.
mail.gr is still on business but if I can understand correctly from their first page they are cooperating with Google which means that maybe this service is not exactly non-US.
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 07:07 PM   #43
bbauri

Not only mail.gr, there are some other email services from Greece like in.gr or freemail.gr etc... But would you trust an email provider from Greece given the situation that all Greek companies are going out of business slowly?
bbauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 07:41 PM   #44
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbauri View Post
Not only mail.gr, there are some other email services from Greece like in.gr or freemail.gr etc... But would you trust an email provider from Greece given the situation that all Greek companies are going out of business slowly?
mail.gr is government owned, not a private company with risk of going out of business. Not that the government is rich in cash at the moment, but still ...
Old 12 Oct 2013, 04:54 PM   #45
soromak

Quote:
mail.gr is government owned, not a private company with risk of going out of business. Not that the government is rich in cash at the moment, but still ...
It is hosted at Google servers, so I do not see the difference between using this service and gmail other than domain name.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote