EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

lavaboom

http://www.lavaboom.com/

The succesor of lavabit???

I didnīt sign uo yet.....

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:35 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
The succesor of lavabit???
A single click on the home page answers the question:
Quote:
Is Lavaboom connected to Lavabit?

We’re not associated with Lavabit or Ladar Levinson. We're huge fans of Lavabit and were devastated when it shut down. Felix, Lavaboom’s CEO, named Lavaboom in tribute to Lavabit and Ladar's stand against the US government's attack on the world's privacy. We are completely independent with no obligations to any other entity, third party, company or government organisation.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 04:35 AM   #3
emebrs
Essential Contributor

That web site makes a very good impression. I hope they have the substance to match the style.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 04:46 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Good impression?
I tried to sign up, they want an alternative email address to send a confirmation link to.
So I typed one of my "spare" addresses in some 2 hours ago and I am still waiting...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 05:14 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

For what it's worth, if the word applies at all, "good" with regard to email is extremely "relative" to me these days. Personally, I'm probably usually more inclined to say "a sometimes necessary evil".
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 05:44 AM   #6
B4its2L8
Master of the @

I got the confirmation email right away, but clicking it only took me to the sign-up page. No statement that any confirmation took place. Do others get a different page when clicking the link?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 05:53 AM   #7
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I've not only as yet received no confirmation email, I didn't even see any clear indication that the submission of my signup "took" at all.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 07:18 AM   #8
bbauri

I've got the confirmation email immediately. After clicking the link it leads to the sign up page but it also displays a message that "Your account has been saved". You can't use this service right now cause they haven't released it yet. For now you can only book an account with them in advance which will be available to you after Easter.
bbauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 07:33 AM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I tried again and this time I did receive a response of a sort at the sign-in page plus an email confirmation, although the latter itself seemed a bit obscure.

The only difference may have been that I used a subdomain address of my own to apply the first time, when I received no apparent response -- a 100% legal email address, of course, so it looks like they may be a bit overly "picky" for who knows what reason.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 08:47 AM   #10
emebrs
Essential Contributor

From what I have read so far, my only issue is that you can't clear your cookies. I sometimes clear cookies multiple times per day, so I guess that means I can't use Lavaboom.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 11:26 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
From what I have read so far, my only issue is that you can't clear your cookies. I sometimes clear cookies multiple times per day, so I guess that means I can't use Lavaboom.
If you cannot clear cookies, how do you logon to your account, using a different machine, I am wondering...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:29 PM   #12
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
That web site makes a very good impression. I hope they have the substance to match the style.
Speaking of substance...

They claim to be "secure email for everyone", but they don't even have SSL on the main page. Your name and email address are transmitted in the clear if you click "Subscribe". They could have bought a cheap certificate in the time it took them to write that lame excuse for not having SSL yet. Seriously.

Also, the "privacy settings" tab on the right side enables social media integration and third-party analytics by default. Analytics is somewhat forgivable, but do they seriously think that a Lavabit fan will want to connect their Facebook with their email?

First impressions are nearly everything. Unfortunately, in light of the above, my first impression is "Are you retarded?"

Coming soon: Lavabust!
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:56 PM   #13
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Agreed. At least thus far, I've seen nothing to set them apart from any "run of the mill" email service. Or, nothing but an expression of their "love" of the name "Lava", which could easily be little more than advertising in the form of "name dropping".
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:49 PM   #14
mf1941
Essential Contributor

I would love to read a review from Havokmon/VFEmail as he has a great ability to cut thru the smoke & mirrors of many of these "secure" services in plain language.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2014, 01:15 AM   #15
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post
I would love to read a review from Havokmon/VFEmail as he has a great ability to cut thru the smoke & mirrors of many of these "secure" services in plain language.
Do you have a link for that? Are Havokmon and VFEmail the same author?