EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:11 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

"At college, email gets failing grades"

Thought this might interest you. It's about how college students are now disdaining email.

"Email is a boring thing." Really? I'm guessing that the boring part is the student, not the general medium of email.

Here's the article:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/at...-grades-426716
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Oct 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I wasn't going to read the article, but I did. My opinionated remark is still the same: Because text email lacks the 'instantaneous' (which it really doesn't) and the 'flashiness' (which it doesn't if one cares to format a HTML mail) of IM's and texting, I'm not surprised that the MTV generation and their fauna feel that way.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

I didn't want to read the article either, but I did. It seems that email is becoming ancient, and is slowly becoming as infamous as handwriting.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 04:26 PM   #4
cahero

We are dumbing down. Simple as that. When I see 60 year olds checking facebook on their iphones for stupid internet meme's people forward to each other I know the end is near. I make a living (such as it is) using the internet, and I can predict at least half of my retail customers don't read the email I send them regarding their purchase. My own family doesn't read half the email I send. I refuse to "join" Facebook PERIOD.
We've returned back to the old AOL chatroom era.
Our culture reminds me more of my old Jr. High cafeteria than anything else. Cliques, and instantaneous gossip is what it's all about.
Wake me up when Facebook is dead.
Thanks
cahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahero View Post
Wake me up when Facebook is dead.
We'll send you an e-mail.

But by the time you read it, you may have missed the party:

1m-highgate-home-ruined-when-600-revellers-turn-up-to-teenagers-facebook-party
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:51 AM   #6
cahero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
We'll send you an e-mail.

But by the time you read it, you may have missed the party:

1m-highgate-home-ruined-when-600-revellers-turn-up-to-teenagers-facebook-party
Thanks, you got me on that one. I needed a good laugh
cahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Email can never be totally ignored. Because even all those Facebook/MySpace/Twitter junkies need an email address to sign up. Also, at some point they will have to send out resumes to apply for jobs, and once they have a job there is internal communication within the company as well as communication with customers -- all of those will remain based, I really don't see job applications and letters from a company board to employees being spread by Facebook or Twitter.

Also, at some point people get bored of toys. Twitter and Facebook won't be around forever as popular as they are now. A new hype will instead show up, and to join that one people again will need... an email address.

So really, I do think email will survive all of those popular social networks, because of the necessarity to sign up for networks via email and because of professional communication still being heavily email focused.

PS: handwriting is also far from dead. Would you like to receive a loveletter written by hand and with a nice rose attached, or a message on Facebook with a heart emoticon?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2013, 09:45 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Would you like to receive a loveletter written by hand and with a nice rose attached, or a message on Facebook with a heart emoticon?
It depends what I think that the writer might want in return.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
It depends what I think that the writer might want in return.
Your love, your heart. And then I mean not a heart emoticon

The day we declare our love per Twitter or by emoticons, romance is officially dead. What happened to sending a lovely letter with a flower attached, or singing a serenade under her balcony? Nowadays we'd send her a "heart" emoticon per SMS and play an MP3 in front of her door?!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Cory
Essential Contributor

I'm a college student and I love email. But your absolutely right I feel like I'm in the minority. I work in a technology lab on campus and it amazes me when students do not even realize they have a University issued email account or have to ask us what the domain name of it is. (We utilize scanners that you can only send the scan to a University email address and people sometimes have to ask us what their own address is. Always a fun question.)
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2013, 02:54 AM   #11
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

It's not just college kids. My own kids (13 to 21) will never answer an email if I send one to them. Have to use SMS or Facebook to get a response. Hell even my wife does not do email. Several of my older friends (I am 59) also have gone away from email. Now if can only convince my "forwarder" friends to do the same.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 11 Oct 2013 at 11:25 PM.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
bbauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
PS: handwriting is also far from dead. Would you like to receive a loveletter written by hand and with a nice rose attached, or a message on Facebook with a heart emoticon?
Very soon the only option available will be 'a message on Facebook with a heart emoticon' . I don't think postal service will remain active after 40-50 years to come.
bbauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2013, 12:44 AM   #13
rishi
Essential Contributor

Email will survive but it will integrate these twitter/facebook features.

Sometimes I feel Blackberry was destroyed by facebook and twitter rather than Apple or Android.

They could not compete with these new methods of communication - skype, twitter, facebook etc..
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2020, 05:11 PM   #14
charlesarmstron

Quote:
I wasn't going to read the article, but I did. My opinionated remark is still the same: Because text email lacks the 'instantaneous' (which it really doesn't) and the 'flashiness' (which it doesn't if one cares to format a HTML mail) of IM's and texting, I'm not surprised that the MTV generation and their fauna feel that way.
I don't see any problem with young generation disdaining email except that texting in whatever messenger blurs the boundaries between official and friendly communication. At the same time the world is changing too fast to read/write long e-mail with a lot of polite but irrelevant information. Even my colleagues at ADVERTISING REMOVED are switching to texting.

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 17 Jul 2020 at 02:51 AM.
charlesarmstron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2020, 11:43 PM   #15
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

charlesarmstron, Join Date: Jul 2020, Posts: 1, and the first post advertising an essay cheating site.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote