EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Oct 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
blu

Can't find compatible free email

Call me picky, but I can't find a free web based email service that meets my needs.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) is reliable
2) allows me to use older browsers without removing important features (Outlook, I'm talking about you)
3) works with dialup without taking forever (Yahoo, I'm talking about you)
4) allows me to add html code to either the email itself or the signature.

Does anyone know of something that meets those four requirements?

The big four (or five) email services no longer meet those requirements. I am of course talking about Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo, Aol, Gmail, and Juno.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Oct 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Have you tried Zoho?
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2013, 01:20 AM   #3
ccl1
Essential Contributor

zimbra? i don't know about dialup though
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2013, 08:46 AM   #4
blu

Thanks for the responses.

Zoho might work (I'll have to think about it), but it doesn't let me add html code.

I don't even understand what Zimbra is. It looks like I have to download something and I'm not interested in that.

I did find something interesting that I'll have to check out further. My free webhost allows me to create an email address. On their website, they let me choose a webmail client to use (RoundCube, Atmail, or SquirrelMail) and using RoundCube, I can add html to emails. The only downside is that I have to sign into the webhost's website, then click through two pages to open up the email. It would be nice to log directly into it. This makes me even more confused as to what RoundCube and the others are exactly.

I'm checking out GMX now.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

SquirrelMail, is just plain old fashioned webmail. What it offers is dependent on the 'Plugins' installed. It's worth checking out (at least)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2013, 02:41 PM   #6
MagnumOpus

I have dial-up, and Zoho Mail.
The web interface is horribly slow.
So I access it via IMAP client.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 04:17 AM   #7
blu

Hmmm... I don't think Zoho is slow at all and I'm on dialup. I think it's one of the fastest webmails I've used in a while. Maybe it has to do with the browser? I'm using Opera 11.52 right now.

I still can't find anything that I'm happy with. I found that Juno allows me to add html code when I use IE, but I don't think they are accepting new users. I'm not sure they're that reliable either.

I didn't want to have to use a program like Thunderbird or anything I have to download. And Roundcube is confusing the heck out of me. I don't understand what it is. It doesn't appear to be an email client like Thunderbird, but it's not a free webmail like Yahoo or Hotmail. Whatever it is, I don't think it will work for me.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Tom Gallagher

How did you make out with GMX.?
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
MagnumOpus

blu wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... I don't think Zoho is slow at all and I'm on dialup...Maybe it has to do with the browser? I'm using Opera 11.52 right now.
What kind of dial-up?
There are accelerated versions, but mine's standard.

Zoho loads slowly here regardless of browser.
Also, I have horrible luck with Opera.
Sometimes it's unbelievably fast; other times it stalls.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2013, 01:20 AM   #10
blu

I want to like GMX, but it's really slow on dialup and doesn't allow me to add html. So it's not going to be useable.

I was able to create a Netzero and Juno account, but they don't allow html either. It's really strange too because my old Juno account allows html, but this new account doesn't. The entire layout looks different and I'm using the same browser and email settings. Very odd.

Hotmail/Outlook allows html to be added to the signature, which would work, but Hotmail/Outlook will only work properly in IE and I hate IE, it's so slow. Plus, I don't know how long this feature will be available since they're always messing with stuff.

I tested out a few other free email providers with no luck. I wonder why so many of them no longer offer the option to add or edit html code? And for those who may be confused, I actually mean the code itself.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
zdt

GMX is heavy indeed, but I use it with Thunderbird email client so I workaround that problem.
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
jdtaylor
Master of the @

What about eumx with squirrelmail, they have several webmail options and as a emd member, I believe you can request a free premium account or something like that.

It might be what you need, they do also offer Horde etc as well. They should load nice and fast on your dial up connection no problem. The other option, is use someone like them but use imap or something to access your email account from an email client on your PC and don't worry about webmail.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2013, 10:51 PM   #13
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu View Post

I don't even understand what Zimbra is. It looks like I have to download something and I'm not interested in that.
zimbra has a desktop client or you can find a zimbra webmail hosting provider. some companies offer a free account like mrmail https://www.mrmail.com/portal/?/cart/
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
What about eumx with squirrelmail, they have several webmail options and as a emd member, I believe you can request a free premium account or something like that.

It might be what you need, they do also offer Horde etc as well. They should load nice and fast on your dial up connection no problem. The other option, is use someone like them but use imap or something to access your email account from an email client on your PC and don't worry about webmail.
I am not sure if it is possible to get EuMX account for free with only 4 posts at EMD. Anyhow their Squirrelmail and Horde mobile interface should be fast even on dialup.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Red_Machine

What about Computermail.net? Their default interface is pure HTML, looks like a 90s time capsule to be honest.
Red_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote