EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 17 Mar 2005, 01:25 AM   #1
ALG

Problems with IMAP

Lately I have not been able to stay connected to the IMAP server it times out and disconnects in the middle of performing some task.
I am using Entourage 2004.
Below is a copy of my error log for just today so far.
Hmmmm it won't let me copy it. However from 9:30 AM to 11:15 AM CST it has lost connection 9 times. That is almost as bad as a popup.

Any comments or help is appreciated.

~AL~
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Mar 2005, 04:07 AM   #2
marc_otten
Master of the @

Hmmm..I'm afraid I cannot add something usefull to the discussion. Only that I cannot use IMAP at all at the moment

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:50 AM   #3
mtf169

Imap woes

I too have been having problems with IMAP. It keeps timing out in the middle of different operations.
mtf169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Jericko

Ditto
Jericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
IMAP update

We recently made use of an IMAP proxy server (Perdition). We realized today that the IMAP server (Courier) was configured to allow a specific number of logins per IP, which isn't meaningful with a proxy server in use.

We have now reconfigured the IMAP server, and there shouldn't be any more login/connection problems.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:33 PM   #6
marc_otten
Master of the @

OK...thanks for the update Geir. Hopefully, this is the last time we have to discuss "IMAP-problems" in this forum

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:01 PM   #7
simonb

Unhappy

In the course of these IMAP problems, some emails I sent at around 8am (GMT) this morning have been lost i.e. they have not been received by the people they were sent to. Also, some mails I sent out days ago were only received this morning.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:52 PM   #8
jbs
Essential Contributor

This morning I'm unable to connect to the IMAP server. Connection keeps timing out with this message:

Quote:
There may be server or network problems or your timeout interval may be too short. You can lengthen the timeout interval from the advanced page of this account's properties dialog.

Protocol: IMAP
Server: imap.runbox.com
Port: 143
I've not made any changes to my setup.

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:54 PM   #9
simonb

I resent all the mail I sent this morning about half an hour ago and still none of the mail has been delivered. Clearly, the IMAP problems are not over yet
Old 17 Mar 2005, 10:03 PM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I don't think IMAP problems should effect sending messages. IMAP is only for synchronizing stored messages on your PC with stored messages on your mail server.

All sent messages go through SMTP.

Is it possible that your mail client doesn't send through SMTP unless it first gets a successful IMAP connect? I don't use email clients much so I'm not sure if any do that.

Also, there have been noticeable delays of up to a couple hours in sending and receiving messages in the last couple of days. Maybe your message problems are related to that too.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2005, 02:33 AM   #11
simonb

Rich, thanks for that. I'll see if the messages I sent are recieved tomorrow. I can live with a delay far easier than no delivery.

Simon.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 08:12 AM   #12
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thumbs down Continued problems.

I just want to let staff know that from my location in New York, USA (EST) I have not been able to keep a half-way decent connection and view mails or message lists via IMAP for the last 5 days, consecutively. There has been intermitent times where things have worked, but for the most part reliability over IMAP has been in the toilet.

The time has come to push this new IMAP server ahead at full steam to the TOP of the priority list and get it installed ASAP! I look forward to seeing increased performance from Runbox when there new hardware comes in, as well.

I have already had to migrate from Runbox once before due to reliability and performance issues. I don't want to do it again, but if I must, I will this weekend.

Common guys, lets clean it up. For good.

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 06:57 PM   #13
glen_dsouza

Hey People forgive my ignorance. I need to know if using IMAP i can repllicate all my folders, that were created on the server, to have them locally too. But when ive used Microsoft Outlook 2003 to work on IMAP the only folder that i get is the inbox. No other folders come. Is there a way i can get all the folders or is my thinking of IMAP wrong. If so is there i way i can achive this?
glen_dsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 07:37 PM   #14
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Hi Glen,

Though I don't use Microsoft Outlook or IMAP, I'll see if I can help you.
Your understanding of the IMAP protocol is sound: you should be able to see and access all your Runbox folders locally through your email client.

As this does not appear to be the case for you, I suspect that there must be something amiss with the configuration settings. Before providing more assistance, I'd like to know whether you have set up your Runbox IMAP account in accordance with the Runbox IMAP configuration help page:

IMAP for Microsoft Outlook

Perhaps most important is that you enter the word 'INBOX' in the 'Root folder path:' field. This is crucial as the Runbox IMAP server is configured in such a way that all of your folders are considered subfolders of the INBOX. Without filling in this field, you will not see any of your other folders.

Good luck with this!

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 08:13 PM   #15
glen_dsouza

Thanks Henry but i have already done all the steps. But when i say send n recieve it will give me only the inbox as a folder ans show me only those mails in the inbox.
glen_dsouza is offline   Reply With Quote