EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 30 Oct 2005, 12:48 PM   #121
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
One seasonal film which everyone should see is Wallace and Gromit:  The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which I've seen twice.  Cracking!

Tip:  See if you can spot the nod to the Harry Potter franchise in the opening sequence.
My experience with Wallace and Gromit is that it has a very English/UK/Irish sense of humour and feel to it. Tho if you've ever seen Kath and Kim on bbc2 you'd probably find its very australian - brought that up to show the differences in humour
I did hear in the Sydney Morning Herald that the studios where wallace and gromit was made, and chicken run got burnt down. Are they re developing the studios?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 01:00 PM   #122
The Storm
Essential Contributor

I thought that Bryce Courtney's 'Jessica' was a bloody great movie, tho possibly of interest only to australian/new zealand audiences. It focuses on a young lady of the 1800's who is a farmer/mechanic and is not afraid of hard work, much to the disgust of her mother and sister who are firmely victorian era in values (women should sew, look pritty and be 'ladylike') What her own familhy do to Jessica is unbelievable, including stealing her baby and putting her in a mental asylum. And its a true story, it actually happened....
Old 30 Oct 2005, 01:07 PM   #123
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Danny Deckchair (filmed in my hometown village in New South Wale's north coast) and young einstein are other examples of fantatic australian films!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 02:41 AM   #124
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
My experience with Wallace and Gromit is that it has a very English/UK/Irish sense of humour and feel to it.
Well, we in the UK have been saturated with US culture via Hollywood for decades now, so why shouldn't we get our own back a bit?

Just a little harmless brain manipulation...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:24 AM   #125
ibolya

Well, I liked The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Carribean and even Interview with the Vampire....
ibolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2005, 03:12 AM   #126
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
[...] I saw The Polar Express (supposedly starring Tom Hanks, but to my mind the real stars are the children and the spectacular photography).  [...]

Mind you, TPE has several sequences which are very disturbing for vertigo sufferers, even in the standard 2D 35mm version — and I saw it in the 3D IMAX® version! Not recommended for someone like me (there was at least one time I had to close my eyes for a few seconds)...
The BFI IMAX cinema are showing TPE again this Christmas season, "back by popular demand".  I'm thinking of seeing it again...
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:29 PM   #127
The Storm
Essential Contributor

As a fan of the harry potter series, is the new film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire a good movie? Please DONT post spoilers as I've not read the book yet or seen the movie
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:52 PM   #128
sarf

Battleship Potemkin
High Noon
Duck soup
sarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2005, 04:41 AM   #129
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
As a fan of the harry potter series, is the new film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire a good movie? Please DONT post spoilers as I've not read the book yet or seen the movie
I saw it last night; it's quite good, and as with the previous ones it's deeper and darker than the last.  (There's one swear word in the dialogue which definitely wasn't in the book.)

However, I think that in trimming "superfluous" detail from the plot they've made one cut too many, and deleted one detail which is critical to the plot, not just of this film, but even more so of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which by my reckoning is due out at Christmas 2008.  As this involves a spoiler, you'll have to highlight the quoted section to read it.

"The Triwizard Tournament is supposed to have as the prize, not only the cup, but 1,000 Galleons; which Harry gives to Fred and George Weasley to help them found their joke shop, because he already has plenty of money and doesn't need any more, because he didn't want to enter the Tournament, and because he reckons Fred and George need it more.  This detail is of great importance in the sixth book, because products bought at Weasley's Wizarding Emporium are used by Voldemort's forces to help them triumph; so its omission from this film is to my mind a serious error."

Incidentally, any bets as to who will be playing Dolores Umbridge in the next film?  I reckon Jennifer Saunders would be perfect for the part; her portrayal of the Fairy Godmother in Shrek 2, a part which owed a lot more to Mario Puzo than to Hans Christian Anderson, is the same kind of part.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 10:42 AM   #130
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Recent movies I've recently seen;

The Island - a great movie, and different to what I expected
The Endless Summer 1 & 2 - classic surf movies, lots of fun
Madagascar - ok, but more for kids
The Skeleton Key - Great thriller, set in the louisiania swamps.
Monster In Law - if i had a mother in law like this I'd go crazy!!
Lords of Dogtown - actually a pritty good movie, documenting the start of skating. sad in places, but a good movie in all.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 01:41 PM   #131
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Has anyone seen the movie Brokeback Mountain from director Ang Lee? Its been getting alot of press in Australia already, before its offical release (mainly cause it won't screen in the cowboy north of queensland). What I'm basically wondering is, is it a good movie to watch? Putting the central issue of homosexuality to one side, is the cinematography and directing of the movie of high quality. Is the story of high quality?
Old 19 Feb 2006, 07:09 PM   #132
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Has anyone seen the movie Brokeback Mountain from director Ang Lee? ....

I went to see Brokeback Mountain today. Its a very powerful movie and I'm still thinking about it now.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 12:04 PM   #133
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I only recently watched that movie Million Dollar Baby on DVD, and ya know, it's a lot better than I expected
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2006, 12:15 PM   #134
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Though it's far from "great", another one I watched recently is Mystery Men, one of those Ben Stiller movies from several years back. A lot of the sequences and dialogue are hilarious
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:59 AM   #135
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I watched Walk the Line on DVD today --I rarely go to theaters anymore, just wait for the DVD to come out -- and it's really good too, overall; the performances are convincing and the music is great (T Bone Burnett is the "executive music producer", so it had to be good ).