EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Jul 2012, 10:57 PM   #16
peter_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy51 View Post
the posts have answered the questions in a round about way

I know my search for a registrar was a pain and thought maybe this thread might help others looking for a registrar easier to find

After all this is a place to discuss email,email hosts,and domains
Exactly my feelings, davy51. I really meant to help. I gave the 3 registrars names which made my "short list" and explained the process behind my recent choosing of those. Discussing Godaddy, 1&1, namecheap here means igniting true "holy war", as they are considered in domain registrar business the literal equivalents to Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail in email world... everyone chooses something for his peculiar needs. And, if I go back to important fact I already mentioned, registrar world changes quickly... I'm not sure all of those 3 I mentioned would make my "short list" now, even though it was a relatively recent decision. For someone deciding now a process is much more useful than actual names...
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2012, 12:47 AM   #17
Cory
Essential Contributor

I also recommend Namecheap, but look for coupons before you sign up.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2012, 02:15 AM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
With Godaddy Ive never had a problem
The only (not really a) problem I had with Go Daddy was that the admin for the privacy bit (can't recall the name off-hand) was separate to the Go Daddy Admin Panel - and transferring out domains with privacy enabled required some planning to get it right first time, without delays caused by your own ignorance of the system.

With Namecheap, all under 1 umbrella, and easy to administer.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2012, 02:36 AM   #19
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Amazingly Peter X the posts have answered the questions in a round about way

I have two domains of my own and use Godaddy and 1&1

With Godaddy Ive never had a problem

I haven't tried to transfer out of 1&1 yet

Been looking at moving it to namecheap dont know how big a pain thats gonna be

I know my search for a registrar was a pain and thought maybe this thread might help others looking for a registrar easier to find

After all this is a place to discuss email,email hosts,and domains
You may have already read this thread davy51 but I am posting for info.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2012, 02:47 AM   #20
davy51
Master of the @

i know 1& 1 is a pain to leave if you dont follow their recomended steps
Thats why one of the questions was ease of transfer
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2012, 08:43 AM   #21
William9
The "e" in e-mail

My experience is with Name.com, Dotster and Network Solutions. The later two are relatively expensive. I've had a great experience with Dotster and more recently with Name.com at about 1/2 the price for a dot com with privacy. Customer service has been excellent at both Dotster and Name.com.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2012, 10:51 PM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I use Name.com for my .com and .info domains. Low prices but excellent customer support, per phone and per email. Every query I had was resolved very rapidly. Very user friendly too and easy to use. You can have them installing a mailbox with Google Apps so that you don't have to do it yourself, and this is for no extra cost. I am not entirely sure if privacy in the WHOIS costs extra.

For European local suffixes I tend to check the country's registry but I can recommend United Domains if you understand German. Excellent support, very user friendly. Huge choice of extentions. Interface is only in German though, so is support. I speak German fluently but I can imagine it is a turn-off for those who don't speak it and need translation help. Not the cheapest too, but in my opinion the quality justifies the higher pricing.

Bnamed (located in Belgium) is very good too, excellent support and very user friendly. Again not the cheapest but you get quality for your money and their selection of extentions is impressive.

Only for special cases (eg .es , .co.il , .com.tr) I have dealt with either a local registrar or directly with the registry, because I felt more comfortable than going through a foreign registrar as third party.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2012, 06:35 AM   #23
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I use Name.com for my .com and .info domains. .... I am not entirely sure if privacy in the WHOIS costs extra.
I was curious about this issue, now that you mentioned it. (William9 also mentioned Name.com "at about 1/2 the price for a dot com with privacy." My italics.)

I know at Namecheap, the "Whoisguard" is free. ("You get a one-year WhoisGuard subscription (worth $2.88) absolutely free with every domain name registration and transfer.") But there are some restrictions (mainly some country-specific domains that aren't covered, including .us.

Since Name.com seems to have a lot more tlds to choose from (.sc, lac, .hn, .mn, .so, etc.), I was thinking of registering a domain with Name.com in one of the lesser-used tlds, but only if the Whois protection/privacy would be available for it and at a reasonable price. Their FAQ page only says, "Removing this information does require a nominal fee," but doesn't say how much. Would anyone know off the top of their heads how Name.com's fee compares to NameCheap's ?

Incidentally, how many people advise to take advantage of the Whois "protection" provided by these registrars ?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2012, 06:57 AM   #24
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Incidentally, how many people advise to take advantage of the Whois "protection" provided by these registrars ?
I have always taken advantage of protection offered on my domains.

I ditched my .us domains when whois protection was removed a few years ago.

Also to bear in mind, you can "opt out" of detailed whois information for co.uk and .eu domains - for free - provided you meet certain criteria.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2012, 08:44 AM   #25
David
Ultimate Contributor

I always use the 'privacy option' for my domain names. At the price it costs it's worth it.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 11:06 AM   #26
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Name.com's fees are $3.99 per year for private registration, but they have coupons from time to time with which you can get a year free under certain conditions.
It's prudent to get private registration, if you can afford it.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2012, 08:16 PM   #27
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Well, it seems that the Whois privacy is the way to go. And only a dollar difference between Namecheap's and Name.com's fees ! Nice.

Thanks for the comments !
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2012, 01:04 AM   #28
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I have a secondary address so I usually enter that and don't use private WHOIS. The problem is that I dislike my phone nr in the WHOIS, so maybe I should go for private WHOIS too (unless the phone nr is never used for vital stuff such as retrieving access to your account data, in that case the phone nr is not used for such things I could enter a secondary phone nr of which I don't mind it is visable)

Actually, on a domaining forum one person stated private WHOIS makes the registrar the owner of the domain because it is them who appear in the WHOIS search engines. I never heard of that before, as far as I know the owner's data are shielded but the owner remains the legal owner of the domain, not the registrar?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2012, 02:09 AM   #29
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
Wink Godaddy...

GoDaddy.com is likely the number one domain name registration company in terms of total domains registered. Also, they have phone support which is missing with Namecheap.

Personally, I think GoDaddy.com does a wonderful job servicing its customers and is very responsive.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:49 AM   #30
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmailHosting View Post

Personally, I think GoDaddy.com does a wonderful job servicing its customers and is very responsive.
So does the red light saloon.