EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Jul 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
radtux

Thumbs up Shifting from Gmail to Fastmail: Great write up

Hi! This was posted on Hacker news:
http://www.maxmasnick.com/2013/07/19/fastmail/

I think it deserves a wider publicity. The web interface is slick; I used it on Firefox 23 (beta) and my MacBook Air. It just works like a charm.

For all the naysayers who were stuck to the old interface, please realize that the world/browsers/interfaces/internet has evolved on both desktops and mobile landscape. While the workflow is an issue, one would slowly get used to the new interface. For best results, stick on the IMAP client; Fastmail has a bulletproof and awesome standards compliant client.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Link quotes a tweet about someone seeing ads in Gmail - someone who doesn't know how to set it up properly.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
radtux

True but Gmail is sending in advertisements based on the keywords that they scan although they claim that they "don't read" your emails! Ha! Whats the difference between "scanning" and "reading" your emails? Privacy is a myth, honestly but still, it creeps me out that my emails are being used to send me busload of crap in my emails. This makes email management a pain in the wrong place.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Would you rather see ads that are irrelevant? If I'm going to be served ads, I would rather that they be about something that interests me.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
north

Is this a custom style or availible in the standard settings? (Cant find it).

image: http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2013/07/fastmail.png
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
True but Gmail is sending in advertisements based on the keywords that they scan although they claim that they "don't read" your emails! Ha! Whats the difference between "scanning" and "reading" your emails?
I'd be much more happier if I get ads based on my preference, than get random s-h-i-t-s.
Mails are 'scanned' by automated system, no living body 'reads' your email.

@ All : Its all about choice. Some complaints/concerns about Gmail are legit, but most of the whining posts are simply lame. Personally I think fastmail have the best eyecandy+superfast interface. Only thing I want...

1. Clicking 'settings' leads to 'advance setting'.
2. Manual pop retrieval button.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Is this a custom style or availible in the standard settings? (Cant find it).

image: http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2013/07/fastmail.png
That's the Minimal style sheet, also looks like it's on a Mac.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
That's the Minimal style sheet, also looks like it's on a Mac.
Strange. I switched to minimal style sheet right now but I do not have the two column like in the screenshot.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 05:13 PM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Strange. I switched to minimal style sheet right now but I do not have the two column like in the screenshot.
Do you mean the preview?

In non-classic interface - Settings, go to Themes, under Layout you have option to enable preview.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
north

I am really sorry, but I cant find the settings.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 09:38 PM   #11
radtux

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1acc View Post
I'd be much more happier if I get ads based on my preference, than get random s-h-i-t-s.
Mails are 'scanned' by automated system, no living body 'reads' your email.
Of course I know it. Fastmail evidently kicks ***; I have seen a huge incremental improvement in the interface in recent times. They have really jazzed it up. (Unlike Opera Browser which has gone down the drain- but that is a separate story!).
Old 20 Jul 2013, 11:04 PM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am really sorry, but I cant find the settings.
Here's a screen cap:

http://s11.postimg.org/401n7xmc3/fastmail.jpg
Old 21 Jul 2013, 04:54 AM   #13
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
ops! i use the classic fm and not the new ajax, thats the problem. thank you anyway.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:36 AM   #14
masnick

OP here

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
Hi! This was posted on Hacker news:
http://www.maxmasnick.com/2013/07/19/fastmail/

I think it deserves a wider publicity. The web interface is slick; I used it on Firefox 23 (beta) and my MacBook Air. It just works like a charm.
OP here -- thanks, radtux!

My motivation for writing this post was not concerns about security. Instead, I don't like the direction the Gmail UI is going in (e.g. new compose interface), I'm concerned about the longevity of IMAP (and thus the ability to switch to a different provider easily), and I legitimately find FastMail better than Gmail.

My goal was to show Gmail users that (a) there are other good options and (b) you can get all your email out of Gmail and into FastMail pretty easily.

One additional thing, which I didn't know about until this morning, is that http://beta.fastmail.fm has a killer mobile interface. It's HTML5 but it's really, really well done so it feels as snappy as a native app in my brief testing. It even has swipe gesture support for archive and delete. I definitely like it more than the native Gmail iOS app and the default Mail app. If it continues to work well, this might be the biggest reason to use FastMail.
masnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2013, 05:11 AM   #15
cb500

I was also trying to replicate my gmail account into fastmail. I was willing to let POP do it, over a period of time, at a rate of about 350 messages per "POP". But some of the messages landed in fastmail tagged with the "time of the POP", while others landed with the "message sent time", despite my selecting "message sent time" on the POP set up. So, I opted to try the IMAP import, but like the person in the linked message above, it failed after awhile since I had a large number of gmail messages to import.
cb500 is offline   Reply With Quote