EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Apr 2014, 10:51 AM   #31
ProtonMail

Representative of:
ProtonMail.ch
ProtonMail Support

We definitely don't want to make anyone have to change their browsing habits to use our service - and we're working to add full support for Firefox at the moment. Sorry for the hurdles thus far everyone.

I've also reached out to Edwin to get approved as an official rep. for ProtonMail.
ProtonMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2014, 04:36 PM   #32
Just Bill

Nice web interface. Whenever ir goes out of beta and if at some point you offer hosting, I would not be opposed to switching to it.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2014, 12:22 PM   #33
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

I assume that since a secondary password is required to decrypt the mailbox, IMAP/SMTP clients can't be used with this service.

As far as login failures, perhaps it's the login name you're using. I'm using "username" by itself instead of "username@protonmail.ch" and logging in just fine.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2014, 12:37 PM   #34
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I assume that since a secondary password is required to decrypt the mailbox, IMAP/SMTP clients can't be used with this service.
That's my understanding as well.

Currently, they have no plans for mobile device apps, but a mobile version of the webmail UI is live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
As far as login failures, perhaps it's the login name you're using. I'm using "username" by itself instead of "username@protonmail.ch" and logging in just fine.
Same here. I have no problems logging in with IE11.

Last edited by rockman : 2 May 2014 at 02:41 PM.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2014, 01:13 PM   #35
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Those of us who are having problems with the service have had no problem following simple instructions. As ProtonMail has said several times, the service just doesn't work properly with all browsers yet or possibly even for all users; we're simply waiting until it does.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2014, 06:18 PM   #36
Clive T

Beta 1.03 has been released https://protonmail.ch/blog/

I still can't log in because of the wrong username/password error. Tried with IE11, Opera 20 and Chrome.

Hope this gets fixed soon; I like the look of this service.
Clive T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2014, 08:12 PM   #37
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks for the updated info.

I found that I was only using Firefox v28, so I cleared the cache and updated to Firefox v29. (Which I can't say I like the looks of, but anyway...)

I went to the original "approval" email from ProtonMail from which I opened the login page, entered my "approved" login name, password choice, and the given CAPTCHA.

Tried this three times and each time still only got the "Wrong Username or Password" error. So I closed the login page, again went back to the original email, re-opened the login page and tried three more times. Same result.

It still doesn't work with my Firefox.
Old 4 May 2014, 01:41 AM   #38
rockman

I want to add that I have had zero problems logging on and using ProtonMail using both IE11 and Chrome 34. I've submitted many bug reports and feedback on suggestions and improvements. These guys listen.

On another note, it is refreshing to use an "anonymous" or otherwise unknown Internet service somewhere else in the world by a company that publishes the names and faces of the actual humans working on it. Kudos!
Old 4 May 2014, 02:07 AM   #39
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
Thanks for the updated info.

I found that I was only using Firefox v28, so I cleared the cache and updated to Firefox v29. (Which I can't say I like the looks of, but anyway...)

this is not really related to this topic but firefox has full themes to customize the look. i've been using them for years. since 29 just came out it might take a little while for some to be updated to be compatible. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...mplete-themes/
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2014, 02:15 AM   #40
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
this is not really related to this topic but firefox has full themes to customize the look. i've been using them for years. since 29 just came out it might take a little while for some to be updated to be compatible. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...mplete-themes/
Yeah, maybe I'll find a way to change things to look the way I'm used to, or maybe I'll just get used to it soon enough. Offhand, the only thing I can remember noticing somewhat "radically" different is that they seem to have changed it so that all the currently unused tabs are "invisible", showing the names on the tabs, but not the background colors of the tabs themselves, which seems to change the overall look of the browser somewhat for me. But, again, maybe I'll get used to that or even decide at some point that I may like it better.
Old 4 May 2014, 02:23 AM   #41
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Ghacks: Making FF 29 Like 28

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I'll find a way to change things to look the way I'm used to, or maybe I'll just get used to it soon enough.
FWIW, I noticed this page that attempts to help FF users retain a pre-29 FF look. I don't know if there is anything there that would be useful. I myself am going to delay updating until I'm properly psyched up for the change.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2014, 02:28 AM   #42
rockman

As the topic starter, I am kindly requesting the Firefox discussion to be taken to a different thread. Feel free to post that thread link here for reference.
Old 4 May 2014, 03:39 AM   #43
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Of course, although I think think they are really quite minor asides -- and for me just something to kill time until my browser really appears to actually be compatible with what this thread clearly claims it already is -- which seems quite "on topic" to me, as a potential, and hopeful, ProtonMail user.
Old 4 May 2014, 04:27 AM   #44
ProtonMail

Representative of:
ProtonMail.ch
Hi everybody, this is Andy, one of the ProtonMail developers, we just pushed out a major security and functionality update and we should be able to support the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

However, there may be issues if you created your original account under an unsupported browser version. This is likely the cause of the login problem some users here are having.

If you are experiencing this issue, please contact us at support@protonmail.ch with your username. We will then erase your account so you can re-create it anew, hopefully using one of the now supported browsers!

Thanks everybody for the patience with this, we're doing our best to support as many browsers as possible, but as you probably know, there are a LOT of browsers and browser versions so we aren't able to do this overnight.
ProtonMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 02:36 AM   #45
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Of course, although I think think they are really quite minor asides --
Yes, of course, but a discussion about a particular email service, whether in general or not working successfully with a particular browser, and another discussion about that particular browser is a huge leap, not too minor an aside.. IMHO anyway
But that aside.. I would really like to start, or continue, discussing this particular email service. To maybe put this thread back on it's track? Some topics I think would be relevant here, amongst other 'email literate' EMD members, would be: trading addresses, looking at and comparing headers, useful (or spectacular ) uses, anything ProtonMail related..
It wouldn't be fair of me to say, type, this 'I want' type of post without providing some sort of example of what I would think might even be useful or informative or interesting in some way.. For instance, a comment I could make would be pertaining to the receiving of a ProtonMail encrypted 'to an outsider' email with an email client, Thunderbird, that uses the ThunderBrowse plugin. There are other items that I have found interesting about ProtonMail. Such as this post in their blog
https://protonmail.ch/blog/notes-pro...ruce-schneier/.
Other topics could be related to their web UI, as well as the service itself.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote