EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 20 Feb 2007, 05:49 AM   #256
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
Quick Screen Shot Maker appears to be only a "free trial" download. Do you happen to know what the limitation(s) is/are on the "trial" version of the program?
I downloaded so many in January and just kept the two I mentioned above. I don't remember it being a "trial" download but looking at the site now I do remember it being very confusing on what I wanted. I installed it on Jan 12th. Did a bunch of shots. I used it again yesterday and it worked so the trial is more than 30 days. Maybe it goes by how many shots you can have?

Sherry

Edit: Bu going into the registration screen in the program it says this:
Quote:
For trial version, there is functionality limited for saving. you can save 30 captures only. If you have captured and saved 30 captures, you can not save anymore. For registered version, there is no functionality limited.

Last edited by Sherry : 20 Feb 2007 at 05:54 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 06:19 AM   #257
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Ah, thanks fo the info. But since I already have two "simple" screen capture programs which I think I'll be satisfied with for awhile, I probably won't bother adding a third one which is free only for a limted duration.

I may consider trying out their Quick Screen Recorder, though, if it has a similar free trial, since I haven't yet found a free program of that sort that's been of much practical use to me, of several I've tried. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind finding a good media file conversion program, since that's really mainly what I'm trying to do anyway, the screen recording being but a roundabout way of trying to accomplish what the file format conversion programs I've thus far tried haven't been able to do, in a number of cases appearing to be incapable of doing what their advertising claims.

Last edited by xmailer : 20 Feb 2007 at 06:29 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 06:33 AM   #258
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
I tried that and another one a long time ago. I needed a scrolling screen capture just yesterday and when I brought up FastStone a mouse-over on the buttons didn't say anything. I think I preferred !Quick Screen shot Maker when I got them both. Used it yesterday and it worked great. If you try it can you let me know which you prefer and why?

Good to see you back and active.
Thanks Sherry. Nice to be here and see everyone. It's like coming home again. I'll certainly try screenshot-maker. I'll give it a whirl and see how I like it!

edit: after reading down some, I see it's a trial. I'll still see how it goes but I probably won't keep it if I need to pay when the other free progs work just fine.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2007, 05:58 AM   #259
suzi

silasm0, I've used iDailyDiary for years. It's great and I've used it as a personal offline diary.

Here are some of my personal recommendations.

For compressed files I use Filzip. Zip, rar, ace, tar and ones I've never heard of - it can handle them all. Very easy to use too.

When I want to be a little artistic I head to Free Serif Software. These are older versions of products they sell, but now offered for free. It includes photo editing, desktop publishing, graphic design, 3D animation and modeling, and website design and publishing software.

When I feel like recording or cropping music files I end up using Audacity. It's fairly straightforward to use and has plenty of options to play with.

For a long time I haven't used WordPad because I prefer RoughDraft. Firstly, all the documents are tabbed which is a huge plus to me. It also has special modes for when you want to write screen and stage plays, as well as being used for regular word processing.

The last piece of freeware I want to mention is called Easy Thumbnails. As the name suggestions it's an easy way to create thumbnails, including batch processes. The website also has some other interesting products available, although that's the only one I really love.
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2007, 11:39 AM   #260
silasm0

I daily diary

I'm glad to see that someone uses I daily diary. I was quite amazed that no one else seemed to use that software which works so well.
silasm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 09:39 PM   #261
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Shameless bump!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 01:35 AM   #262
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

With effect from today I can say FeedDemon RSS Reader. I only just realised it had become free.

It's at: http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals...n/Default.aspx
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:22 AM   #263
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

Freeware applications I currently use:

- OpenOffice (instead of Microsoft Office) - http://www.openoffice.org
- IrfanView (image viewer) - http://www.irfanview.com
- AVG Antivirus (doesn't slow down my computer) - http://free.grisoft.com/
- MwSnap (screen capture utility - still images) - http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
- The Kmplayer (Korean Media Player - one the best video player I ever used. It doesn't need installed codecs, it plays almost every kind of video/audio file, event truncated or in use files, you can define shortcuts, very flexible, extensive settings) http://www.download.com/The-KMPlayer...-10659939.html
- Foxit Reader (a replacement for Adobe PDF Reader - small application, fast loading, very simple) http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rea...own_reader.htm
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:37 AM   #264
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Another good site -- and a warning

www.thefreecountry.com seems to be a good freeware resource -- I found it whilst searching for a (preferably free) partition editor which could correct an error made by Vista's built-in partition manager (I split my 30Gb XP Pro partition into two 15GB ones, so that I could install Fedora 8 on the second, and of course I wanted the second created as a physical partition, bringing the physical partitions on the drive up to the maximum 4; but Vista created it as a logical (hence non-bootable) partition, and nothing I could find could correct the mistake.) I've already got GPartED but unfortunately it can't do the physical<-->logical conversion either; in fact, I'm not impressed with GPartEd, this is just one of the things it can't do which Partition Magic 5 can -- and PM5 takes only about 2Mb, instead of the 53Mb of GPartEd, hence starts a lot faster.

Beware, however; when searching for a boot manager (sadly, I've forgotten where I found one), I stumbled across several sites offering "Nero 9". I decided to check one out, and I suppose my suspicions should have been raised when they asked for my email address as a condition of the download (they subsequently sent me three spams in two days, so I bounced them and set my filters to bounce any further ones), but it wasn't until the next screen asked for my credit/debit card details that I thought "stuff this, I'll get it free from the official Nero site instead". It was thus that I found that "Nero 9" is bogusware; the latest version is the one I've already got (8.2.3.0)...
Old 2 Mar 2008, 03:58 AM   #265
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I'm not a developer so I feel a bit scared. Look here.

Firefox 3 for developers.
Quote:
Firefox 3 for developers

Firefox 3 Beta 3 has been released, and is now available for download. See Firefox 3 for developers for developer documentation.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Main_Page

I feel curious. Would it delete the FF 2 I have now or would it work beside it?

Have any of you used it?

The latest freestanding software me have used is Windows Live Mail Client for desktops. Works ok for me. I don't have so high expectations on such. I failed to set up Outlook Express but this one is easy.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 04:25 AM   #266
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I feel curious. Would it delete the FF 2 I have now or would it work beside it?
Fx 3 is still in beta - meaning they don't recommend it to anyone that isn't willing to tolerate a few bugs. Mozilla advise users not to use the same profile for two different versions, so if you choose to try it, make a copy of your Fx 2 profile directory tree, install Fx 3 to a different directory (...Mozilla/Firefox3/... for example) and have it use the copy of your profile.
Alternatively, copy your Fx 2 profile to somewhere safe and upgrade to Fx 3. If you want to revert, download the Fx 2 installer (do it first! Don't ask how I know this... ) uninstall Fx 3, restore your saved profile, and re-install Fx 2.
I did try v3 but I missed too many of my add-ons that wouldn't load or got failed in Fx 3. I'll probably upgrade when v3 is released and enough of my more important add-ons are upgraded. It didn't do anything bad, it was enough different to v2 to be distracting, but it will probably be enough better in the end to be worthwhile.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 05:29 AM   #267
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert View Post
... If you want to revert, download the Fx 2 installer (do it first! Don't ask how I know this... ) uninstall Fx 3, restore your saved profile, and re-install Fx 2.
One thing that's good to have is Portable Firefox. It doesn't require "installation" on the computer (you can put it on any media and use it). Then you can use it to download anything else you need.

There's plenty of free applications available at Portableapps.com that one can put on any storage media and then use on PC. When I went on my trip to London (UK) and to Canada last fall I bought a 4GB disk on key and put all my work files and several portable applications on it, and then I used it to work when I was in Toronto using my sister's computer but my applications. (I didn't do any work in London, though. Every precious moment was used to enjoy the visit!)
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 06:34 AM   #268
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Portable Firefox also works pretty well under Wine.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 06:47 AM   #269
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I've just discovered Unlocker, which as the name implies, is one solution to this common Windows problem. I found out about it through this thread...
Old 3 Mar 2008, 05:26 AM   #270
JRobert
Master of the @

VirtuaWin is a virtual-desktop manager for Windows (9x through Vista). I've been using it in XP for a few weeks and it has been very stable. Features include different backgrounds for each desktop (a must have, in my book), several ways of changing desktops, and the ability to make a window appear on all desktops.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote