EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Sep 2011, 02:05 AM   #1
sync00

Can I edit my FM hosted website online?

I have a very simple, personal site hosted by FM. Is there any way to edit the html online?
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2011, 04:07 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Creating and editing simple websites

Sure. Just click the (details) link adjacent to a file name in the listing. You can edit text MIME types (such as text/plain and text/html), but not non-text types (such as application/pdf or image/jpeg).

For those who want the details on setting up a very simple website:
  • Create a basic website text file and save it in some folder on your computer. For instance, on a PC use Notepad to create index.txt (or any other filename) with contents such as the following and save it in My Documents:
    Code:
    <html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <meta name="keywords" content="EMD, Fastmail">
    <meta name="RATING" content="General">
    <meta name="ROBOTS" content="index,follow">
    <title>Simple website</title>
    <style fprolloverstyle>a:hover      { color: #FF00FF; font-style: italic; font-weight: bold }
    </style>
    </head>

<body>
    <h1 align="center"><b>Some great websites:</b></h1>
    <h3 align="left">
    <p><a href="http://www.fastmail.fm">Fastmail website</a></p>
    <p><a href="http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27">Fastmail forums at EmailDiscussions.com</a></p>
    </body>

</html>
  • In the Files screen, select {My Files} in the Folders area in the sidebar at the left.
  • In the Action tool (which by default shows More actions) select Create subfolder, then enter a name for the new subfolder (such as website), then select Do.
  • Select the new folder name in the Folders list. You will see the contents of {My Files}>/website at the right.
  • In the Upload area at the bottom of the right section, select Browse... and select the text file you created earlier, then select Open.
  • Now enter index.html in the Rename field and select Upload. You should then see index.html in the listing.
  • Select the (details) link adjacent to the index.html file name. You will enter the File Properties screen, and can make the following changes if needed:
    • Mime Type: The default is Auto, which uses the filename extension to choose a Mime type. You can change this setting, then select the Change button to effect the new type. If the filename uploaded after renaming had the extension html, then the Mime Type should have automatically been set to Auto (text/html).
    • Edit Contents: You can edit your website in this box. Be sure to select Save Changes at the bottom when finished with your editing.
    • Select the Return to files link at the top to return to the files listing.
  • Now select the Websites button (or use the Options>Websites/Redirects link).
  • The File Storage Websites screen displays all websites you have created for your account, and allows you to add new ones.
    • In the Website section create the URL to your website.
    • Publish as -- select Files only.
    • File Storage Target -- select the website folder you created earlier.
    • Add -- select the Create website button.
  • You should now see your new website listed on the File Storage Websites listing.
    • Select the URL in the Website column and you will go to your site.
    • If you used my example, hovering your mouse over one of the links will cause it to become italic and change color.
    • Selecting a link will navigate to the indicated website.
  • Back at the Files screen:
    • Select the website folder in the Folders list at the left.
    • Select (details) for the index.html file.
    • You can now see a Web Link to the full URL for the website. You can drop the ending /index.html when entering the URL in your browser, since the browser always looks for an index.html file if it is not told which file to use.
    • You can edit your website in the File Properties screen.
      • Select Save Changes at the bottom to make your changes take effect.
      • You can then click the Web Link to see your changes.
      • Since browsers cache websites to improve loading speed, use the F5 key to force the website to be reloaded in the browser.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2011, 05:41 AM   #3
sync00

I was thinking of an HTML editor not a text editor.
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Adding HTML editor for Files Edit Contents box

You can use a javascipt tweak to use the Fastmail HTML editor in the Files screen. This will allow you to edit simple websites. Many (but not all) of the editor features can be used. Don't try to use the Save (disk icon) feature -- it will temporarily produce a crash.

To use this feature you will need to change the MIME type of the file from Auto (text/html) to just text/html (and save that change) so that the file will be detected as HTML and cause the editor to switch from plain text to HTML.

The detailed instructions are shown below. Be sure to use the exact folder and file names as shown (including case).
  • In the online Fastmail interface, be sure that the Options>Account Preferences>Display>Custom Styles box is checked. Click Save Settings at the top of the screen after you check this.
  • Click Files at the top of the screen.
  • If you don't have it already, create the top-level folder named exactly (including case): {My Files}/custom-ui
    • To create the new folder, first click {My Files} in the folders list at the left
    • Then open (click) the More actions tool at the top and choose Create subfolder
    • In the new entry box (after called), enter custom-ui then click Do
  • If you don't have them already, create subfolders of that folder named exactly (including case): {My Files}/custom-ui/css and {My Files}/custom-ui/js. The changes below don't use the css folder, but that will be where you place any tweaks.css file you might create.
    • To create these new subfolders, click custom-ui in the folder list at the left
    • Then create the css and js subfolders in a similar manner to the earlier instructions
  • Create the tweaks.js file in the {My Files}/custom-ui/js folder using the following code. I did this by copying/pasting into Windows Notepad on my PC, then saving the file on my PC, then uploading it and changing the name during the upload process. You could also upload any small text file to that Fastmail Files folder, then click the (details) link for that file to edit it, then paste the javascript, then save your edit.
Code:
/* Rich Text editor in Files details screen -- Bill n5bb 2009.10.19  */
window.addEvent('domready', function() {
    var detailsEditor = $$('textarea[name=FFP-Contents]')[0];
    if(detailsEditor && $$('option[selected]')[0].value == "text/html")
    {
        detailsEditor.set('id','FFP-Contents');
        new Asset.javascript('https://www.fastmail.fm/3pp/fck-latest/fckeditor.js');
        setTimeout(function() {
            var oFCKeditor = new FCKeditor('FFP-Contents') ;
            oFCKeditor.BasePath = "/3pp/fck-latest/";
            oFCKeditor.Height   = document.documentElement.clientHeight-20; //Set the height to the initial window size - 20 for the scrollbar.
            oFCKeditor.ReplaceTextarea();
        }, 200);
    }
});
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 26 Sep 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Is the FCKeditor tweak still working?
Some time ago FCKeditor was upgraded to CKeditor (that is much much better!) and since then all of my FCKeditor tweaks (in the Compose screen; I haven't tried the file editor tweak) have stopped working.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2011, 01:16 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow HTML editor for Files Edit Contents box works for me right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Is the FCKeditor tweak still working?
Some time ago FCKeditor was upgraded to CKeditor (that is much much better!) and since then all of my FCKeditor tweaks (in the Compose screen; I haven't tried the file editor tweak) have stopped working.
I'm not sure about Compose tweaks. But the File tweak I posted seems to work nearly perfectly right now. I added this code to my tweaks.js nearly two years ago, but I'm not editing HTML files every week. So it might have broken then started working again without me noticing. I assume I found most of this code in the FM NewInterfaceJS wiki, with the addition of the FCKeditor.Height editor size tweak, which I might have found at the CKSource forum. It's been too long for me to remember -- I found this with a Google search.
  • The About button shows: FCKeditor version 2.6.4 Build 22795.
  • As written, the tweak I posted only activates the FCKeditor when the MIME type is exactly text/html. So if you look at the details for a file with MIME type Auto (text/html) you get the basic text editor.
  • The Save button causes a temporary crash.
  • Some features just don't work. An example is uploading an image to the server. This request just hangs until the popup is closed.
  • The Source and Maximize the editor size toggle buttons seem to work well.
  • Nearly all other editing features work properly.
I wish that the few failures would be fixed, and this editor be made standard for HTML file types.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 29 Sep 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 07:46 PM   #7
fhapgood
Master of the @

[quote=n5bb;528023]You can use a javascipt tweak to use the Fastmail HTML editor in the Files screen. /QUOTE]

Cool. I didn't know about this. Thanks.

Fred
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote