EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Aug 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
ibcsweb
Cornerstone of the Community

1&1 Email

Looking at 1&1 to host my company email through the company website. Anyone have any experience of this?
ibcsweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcsweb View Post
Looking at 1&1 to host my company email through the company website. Anyone have any experience of this?
I once also tried it, but 1and1 rejected my registration since I'm not living in the countries they supported.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:05 AM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcsweb View Post
Stay away from 1and1... I've moved all my domains and email accounts from their servers.

I did not heed the warning when I got them and paid last month. I always knew their support was terrible, but figured I'd never need it. When an issue came up that I needed, I saw what everyone else was talking about.... it was insane. I did not push the issue too hard, figured I'd move those domains to customer service happy godaddy and pay a couple of dollars extra a year on the domains. No biggie.

I'd not trust them with my email...

I did try an exchange account with them late last year or earlier this year and it was terrible. I went back to everyone.net. Although, I need to setup ******* soon and try exchange again to see if the issue was 1and1 or exchange. I've been told it was 1and1... their customer service could not help there either.

1and1 does still have stellar uptime though.... and low prices. Get what you pay for though... I learned that the hard way.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
macleon

Thumbs down Stay away from this company

Same as Theog I had a really bad experience with 1and1, I had two domanis with them, the email part it was OK, customer support is horrible, but the real nightmare started when I tried to cancel my account, they just don't take a "no", they make it so hard to cancel I was charged one more year for my two domains, I had to ask my credit card to stop the payments and I end up changing the CC numbers. Later on I received a letter from a collection agency requesting payment from a service I had canceled months before, it was a hell to deal with this company. Do a favor yourself and do a Google search for 1and1 horror stories.
My two cents.
macleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 12:51 AM   #5
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleon View Post
Later on I received a letter from a collection agency requesting payment from a service I had canceled months before, it was a hell to deal with this company.
They sent you to collections as well?

Yea, that was the last straw for me.... I've only been sent to collections one other time in my life (when my apartment complex did not pay the gas bill after I moved out and the gas company thought I was still in the apartment... that was resolved). But one and one sent me to collections for $6 and some change. They automatically renewed a domain for me that I did not want but never told me. I did not know until a collection letter came in the mail.

Was not such a big deal. Plus my fault for not paying attention to unchecking the box that says "automatically renew this domain." I never have that box checked, but I accept I should have been paying attention. My fault. I could still use it, I mean $6 is nothing... no biggie... but collections? No prior warnings? Give me a freakin break....

Yea, 1and1 is ****.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 06:30 AM   #6
pin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleon View Post
Same as Theog I had a really bad experience with 1and1, I had two domanis with them, the email part it was OK, customer support is horrible, but the real nightmare started when I tried to cancel my account, they just don't take a "no", they make it so hard to cancel I was charged one more year for my two domains, I had to ask my credit card to stop the payments and I end up changing the CC numbers. Later on I received a letter from a collection agency requesting payment from a service I had canceled months before, it was a hell to deal with this company. Do a favor yourself and do a Google search for 1and1 horror stories.
My two cents.

I have also experienced this. Took me ages to figure out how to cancel my email accounts with them. It wasn't a simple process by a long margin. In the end though I managed to cancel my account and they haven't rebilled so the effort was worth it!
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 07:50 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

A suggestion: that EMD create a 'Buyer Beware' sticky thread (in the 'Early Warning' forum) with a link to threads like this one.

This would be of enormous benefit to everyone who uses these forums.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:09 AM   #8
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

I also had the same experience as the other posters with this company. Theog's post sound pretty similar to the experience that I had.

I agree with David's suggestion. A Buyer Beware would be a great thread to have on here as a sticky.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 08:49 PM   #9
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A suggestion: that EMD create a 'Buyer Beware' sticky thread (in the 'Early Warning' forum) with a link to threads like this one.

This would be of enormous benefit to everyone who uses these forums.
Any opinion expressed on this forum is just an opinion. Placing it in a special section would give the warning a legitimacy, whether that opinion or warning is founded in reality or not.
A better way (in my opinion... - pun intended) is to let readers do a search for the email service they are exploring. That will enable them to find this kind of a thread as well as other "non sticky" threads with perhaps as helpful information.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote