EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Dec 2016, 10:07 AM   #1
listening

Unhappy FM doesn't seem to be discarding virus laden messages

Mmmm ... I'm finding my account with FM doesn't seem to be discarding virus laden messages. Also finding that some contacts on hotmail.com and outlook.com aren't receiving message from fastmail.com - I've become uneasy about FM of late, sorry to say.

I don't find any reference to settings for virus protection, I feel sure they were there before all the changes.

Beginning to look to encrypted services now, tutamail.com etc and the one at Cern, protonmail.com

Sad to see change means less.
listening is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:46 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!
If you don't mind, please include a subject to a new thread so forum members understand the nature of your post before reading it. I assumed it was some type of forum spam initially, but see that it's a real post.

FastMail automatically scans incoming messages for viruses and discards them. You can search the online Help for "virus" and see more information. Years ago there was a tool on the spam filtering page to control this feature, but for quite a while it has been an automatic feature you can't disable. If you are receiving messages containing viruses, you need to file a normal FastMail support request for your account fully describing the issue. I never get such virus-laden messages.

I send messages to hotmail/outlook.com accounts all the time from FastMail accounts, and they are never blocked. I just sent test messages from FastMail to my test accounts at hotmail.com and outlook.com and they arrived writhin a few seconds. I used From identities at the following domains: fastmail.fm, fastmail.com, and my personal domain tied to my FastMail account.

If you send to hotmail.com, outlook.com, and many other large email providers, you need to be sure that you follow proper techniques to deal with the latest email security features which are now in common use:
  • Automatic email forwarding or redirection can cause difficulties with spam filtering, SPF, DKIM, and DMARC. It is always far superior to get a message directly delivered to the destination account rather than use automatic forwarding. This situation has changed in the last year or so, and has nothing to do with FastMail.
  • Be careful about the From identity you use when sending an email message. If you send from FastMail to another email service, use a FastMail identity associated with one of your FastMail aliases, or use a personal or business domain which is configured properly to specify SPF and DMARC set up to permit outgoing messages from FastMail.
  • SPF, DKIM, and DMARC are tools which are now becoming widely deployed. They help reduce spam and phishing messages, but they require senders to send using From domains associated with the email service generating the email. You could ignore this issue a couple of years ago, but not any more.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:15 PM   #3
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Subject changed to better reflect the contents
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote