EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Apr 2011, 08:24 AM   #46
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
But you've had them since before the merger of Opera and Fastmail. Maybe they would allow the people having had accounts since before the merger to keep their mailboxes (which would make sense) but not allow new subscribers to use both (which would come down to having two free Fastmail accounts, which as far as I know is against the rules)
As an official representative here of Opera, the owners of Fastmail, I'm not sure why the word of johanborg wouldn't be "authoritative" enough for any reasonable person, nor that he could have made it much more clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
...we have nothing against that you have an account at both sites.
I don't see any "qualifiers" there making reference to when a person signed up to the service(s), do you? Perhaps you require a personal invitation?
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:10 PM   #47
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Well, he said he has no issue with someone opening an Opera and a Fastmail account. This is his statement on EMD.

I assume Opera has multiple staffmembers, and that not all of them have read this statement. Hence, with some bad luck, another staffmember may close down an account when they notice you have two free accounts (one with Fastmail and one with Opera). By the time they find out about this "agreement" to have two accounts, the damage has been done and your one account is gone.

It can happen. I have worked in customer service several years and it happened several times that two staffmembers contradicted each other with the customer being the one who was experiencing the consequences of that misunderstanding within the company I know it shouldn't happen, but these things do happen in pretty much every company run by more than one person.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 12:17 AM   #48
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Generally speaking, "anything" could happen. And I suppose that a "rogue" employee might decide to do something on his/her own at any email service. However, I strongly suspect that Opera/Fastmail employees generally have more important/productive things to do with their time than scour their user base in attempt to rout out possible "extra" email accounts. And if they had some mechanism in place to automatically detect such "abuse" and "unceremoniously" remove suspected "extra" accounts (at least on such a small scale as those who might have a single "extra" account), I suspect that, as a representative of the company, johanborg might likely know about it.

In fact, it still appears to me that johanborg has stated their general policy about such things fairly clearly. Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone in these forums who seems to worry so much about the most remote possibilities.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 01:16 AM   #49
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Is there any chance that Opera can provide an email like: user@opera dot com there by shorting the domain? I would grab it if it became possible.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2011, 06:34 AM   #50
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I remember vaguely that they got that one asked on the Myopera forum and they told something about domains and so on. But sadly I don't remember details.

Maybe Johan read this and remember?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2011, 06:42 AM   #51
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
Generally speaking, "anything" could happen. And I suppose that a "rogue" employee might decide to do something on his/her own at any email service. However, I strongly suspect that Opera/Fastmail employees generally have more important/productive things to do with their time than scour their user base in attempt to rout out possible "extra" email accounts. And if they had some mechanism in place to automatically detect such "abuse" and "unceremoniously" remove suspected "extra" accounts (at least on such a small scale as those who might have a single "extra" account), I suspect that, as a representative of the company, johanborg might likely know about it.

In fact, it still appears to me that johanborg has stated their general policy about such things fairly clearly. Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone in these forums who seems to worry so much about the most remote possibilities.
You are right that the possibility is slim. That said, Safe Mail and Fastmail are the only providers I've used that I trust to the extend that I'd use them for registering domainnames, buying webspace etc. ... and if you use them for that purpose, it's quite normal that you want to exclude any potential hassle, even when the chance of the hassle occuring is slim.

(+ I have anxiety disorder, without wanting to lament about that --this is not the right forum for that and I prefer not to lament generally-- it does explain why I may worry a bit too often compared to the average forum user)
Old 25 Apr 2011, 06:48 AM   #52
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
You are right that the possibility is slim. That said, Safe Mail and Fastmail are the only providers I've used that I trust to the extend that I'd use them for registering domainnames, buying webspace etc. ... and if you use them for that purpose, it's quite normal that you want to exclude any potential hassle, even when the chance of the hassle occuring is slim.

(+ I have anxiety disorder, without wanting to lament about that --this is not the right forum for that and I prefer not to lament generally-- it does explain why I may worry a bit too often compared to the average forum user)
So you've said, and so I believe there's some evidence of here, and if so, then so be it.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 05:12 PM   #53
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Is there any chance that Opera can provide an email like: user@opera dot com there by shorting the domain? I would grab it if it became possible.
Only if all employees changed their e-mail addresses to @operasoftware.com or something, which isn't very tempting to any of us. Yahoo! did it and their professional addresses are at @yahoo-inc.com, but that almost sounds like a fake phishing address unless you know about it...

For our Opera-branded mail we want to have the same user names across all services including Opera Link, Opera Unite and the My Opera community. That's why we couldn't combine operamail.com with the rest, it had colliding user names.
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:54 PM   #54
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks johanborg for your reply. Actually I was thinking it would be nice if Opera could add another email in addition to present one, example: " user at opera dot com" In my opinion, it would be well received.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:00 PM   #55
Shelded

You mean user@opera.com? I think he's saying that's employee space. If you don't mean that, what do you mean?
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:15 PM   #56
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Shelded. Yes that is correct. I think it would be cool to have an address " user at opera dot com" Of course if that isn't possible then so be it.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:20 PM   #57
syood

I love the interface, which reminds me somehow of Roundcube, and I'll certainly use this service quite a bit if/when more features are added (e.g. checking external accounts).
syood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2011, 03:18 AM   #58
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Sorry if this has been brought up already in a different topic, but does the change of storage room in a free Fastmail account change in any way thanks to the take-over by Opera?
Old 3 May 2011, 05:26 AM   #59
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Well, although it's a year back, this blog post might answer your question. So, yes, the storage quota has been increased after the take-over:
http://blog.fastmail.fm/2010/05/30/q...-all-accounts/

As well as the bandwidth: http://blog.fastmail.fm/2010/10/06/i...for-all-users/
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 09:16 PM   #60
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
I would expect a setting to turn off conversation view when we enable the AJAX interface for fastmail accounts..

(feel free to quote me on that someday )
May I quote you on this today, more than a year after your statement?

Seriously, the option to turn off conversation view is IMHO overdue.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote