EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Nov 2005, 05:19 AM   #46
hobbes

Quote:
Originally posted by voxson
my trash has 15347 messages, all of which are useful. I often use the search to find a message, it's like an archive.

Now you're about to implement this change which I strongly dislike. Let's say that you warned us by putting in on the news (as if all os uf look at them). But tell me, how many tens of pages do I have to go through to move all these messages to a new folder and save them? Would you be willing to help me save these messages? I don't have the time to go through tens of pages to do this.
If you use an IMAP client, you can select all the message in the Trash folder, and move them to another folder. Very, very easy!

I reckon that's about 3 key presses and/or mouse movements. No need to go through 30 web pages!
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 05:38 AM   #47
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
You can also do it in the web interface with 2 screens.

There is a parameter called "limit10000" that can be added to the end of the URL to get 10,000 messages listed on a single page.

Go to your Trash folder listing. The URL in the browser will look something like this:

Code:
http://www.runbox.com/mail/list?folder_id=87154
add to the end of that "&limit10000=1" so that it looks like this:

Code:
http://www.runbox.com/mail/list?folder_id=87154&limit10000=1
Now you will get up to 10,000 messages listed on that one screen. Select them all and move them to another folder.

Do that one more time and you're done.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 07:48 AM   #48
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by voxson
my trash has 15347 messages, all of which are useful. I often use the search to find a message, it's like an archive.
Out of sheer curiousity, why do you delete things that are useful, rather than put them in an actual archive? Just trying to understand more about usage patterns, no offense intended.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:04 AM   #49
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Out of sheer curiousity, why do you delete things that are useful, rather than put them in an actual archive? Just trying to understand more about usage patterns, no offense intended.

Liz
I'm curious too.

Rich
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:27 AM   #50
MikhailT

Trash don't get taken out till you purposely throw it out.
I have a "trash" box in my dorm and I throw out all my term papers and other papers in there. Sometime in the near future when I have time, i'll revisit the box and clean it out so that i can keep the ones that is needed and throw out the garbag that is worthless.

I do the exact same thing with Trash folder. A delete button is on top of the mail message and it is much faster to click this button than it is to click on a different folder and than click on the move message button.
Plus it's too far on the left that it feels like its a different part of the interface and sometime it doesn't encourage me to use that path.
MikhailT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:11 PM   #51
hobbes

Another option for Thunderbird users, and other IMAP clients, is to configure the client to copy deleted emails to a specific, non-Trash, folder, ie "Archive".

Then, as long as you use the IMAP client, no email should go into the Trash folder when you delete them.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:36 PM   #52
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by hobbes
Another option for Thunderbird users, and other IMAP clients, is to configure the client to copy deleted emails to a specific, non-Trash, folder, ie "Archive".

Then, as long as you use the IMAP client, no email should go into the Trash folder when you delete them.
That's a very good suggestion for IMAP users.

Rich
Old 4 Nov 2005, 09:30 PM   #53
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Agreed - what we should have, is something similar for the webmail interface.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:03 PM   #54
drkotsius

Thumbs up Looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Agreed - what we should have, is something similar for the webmail interface.

Liz
drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:15 PM   #55
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Lightbulb Suggestion: Delete and Trash

Here's an idea!

Runbox adds a "Deleted" folder that doesn't automatically purge (same as "Trash" is now). The "Delete" button moves messages to the "Deleted" folder.

Runbox adds a "Trash" link next to the "Delete" link that moves messages to the "Trash" folder that is automatically deleted.

Users that don't want messages purged on a regular basis use the "Delete" link. Users that do use the "Trash" link.

Users that "Delete" messages can latter review the "Deleted" folder and "Trash" any of those messages if they really decide they don't want them anymore.

This would require the addition of one system folder to every account (the "Deleted" folder). The addition of a "Trash" link on the web pages. The current functionality of the "Delete" link would move to the "Trash" link. The functionality of the "Delete" link would change to move the messages to the "Deleted" folder.

That should work for almost everyone (except those that want other than 30 day auto-purging of trash) and would probably fit fairly smoothly into the current Runbox web interface framework (I'm not implying the time it would take to implement only that that it probably wouldn't require a lot of backend support).

Regards,
Rich
Old 5 Nov 2005, 03:20 AM   #56
voxson

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Liz
As long as the trash folder did not get emptied automatically it acted the same as an archive folder (and i didn't mind the name "trash"). Sending messages to the trash is actually one click faster than moving them to another folder.

Actually, I would return the question to you asking "Why would you mind using the trash folder as an archive folder (besides the name)?" Of course this question is asked taking the old system (no automatic purge) into account.
voxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2005, 04:01 AM   #57
MikhailT

Re: Suggestion: Delete and Trash

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
Here's an idea!

Runbox adds a "Deleted" folder that doesn't automatically purge (same as "Trash" is now). The "Delete" button moves messages to the "Deleted" folder.

Runbox adds a "Trash" link next to the "Delete" link that moves messages to the "Trash" folder that is automatically deleted.

Users that don't want messages purged on a regular basis use the "Delete" link. Users that do use the "Trash" link.

Users that "Delete" messages can latter review the "Deleted" folder and "Trash" any of those messages if they really decide they don't want them anymore.

This would require the addition of one system folder to every account (the "Deleted" folder). The addition of a "Trash" link on the web pages. The current functionality of the "Delete" link would move to the "Trash" link. The functionality of the "Delete" link would change to move the messages to the "Deleted" folder.

That should work for almost everyone (except those that want other than 30 day auto-purging of trash) and would probably fit fairly smoothly into the current Runbox web interface framework (I'm not implying the time it would take to implement only that that it probably wouldn't require a lot of backend support).

Regards,
Rich
Good idea but gotta think more about the typical users. Think how they'll see those two links and will be confused on what the difference between deleted and trash. Should use another word for it.
MikhailT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2005, 05:01 AM   #58
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: Re: Suggestion: Delete and Trash

Quote:
Originally posted by MikhailT
Good idea but gotta think more about the typical users. Think how they'll see those two links and will be confused on what the difference between deleted and trash. Should use another word for it.
Like what?

I don't really think that would be a problem. The "Delete" link would basically function the same as it does now with the expection of moving the messages to a folder called "Deleted" instead of "Trash". The messages would not be automatically purged so they wouldn't lose them if they were not aware of the difference.

Those that use the "Trash" link should know what it does because it would be a new link on the screen and people really shouldn't be using a link that they don't know what it does (although I'm sure some will).

To help clarify, after the "Delete" action is performed it could say "Message(s) moved to "Deleted" folder". After the "Trash" action is performed it could say "Message(s) moved to "Trash" folder. Messages over 30 days old will be purged".

I just thought of another issue that hasn't been clarified yet with regards to auto-purging the Trash folder. Should it be messages over 30 days old ... or messages that have been in the "Trash" folder for over 30 days. That's two completely different things. The second gives you 30 days to change your mind. The first doesn't. It probably should be the second "messages in the Trash for over 30 days".

In which case the message would need to say something like "Message(s) moved to "Trash" folder. Messages in "Trash" for more than 30 days old will be purged".

Regards,
Rich
Old 5 Nov 2005, 05:09 AM   #59
mail2me
Master of the @

Thumbs up

Way to go Runbox!

Automatic purging of messages in Trash folder - This is a feature I've been requesting for a long time.

Trash folder is not an archive folder. Those who want to archive should create a folder called "Received" and simply move messages to that - that is what I do. Trash folder should be there to recover messages deleted accidentally or very recently only. There should be a feature to automatically purge the very old messages.

Manually clicking on "Empty Trash" poses two problems:

1) The entire Trash folder is emptied instead of only the old messages in that.
2) It has to be done manually and periodically. It should be automated.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2005, 01:52 PM   #60
ALG

Why not create an "Archive folder then create a rule that all inbox mail goes to Archive. Then read your mail in the Archive folder and anything you truely wish to get rid of send to trash. The rest just stays in the Archive folder.

Unfortuneately Trash is named trash because that is the use it is meant for. Trash is unwanted discarded items, whether mail or food scraps or old clothes.
You would not wish to throw your food scraps into the trash for future sorting would you?

AL
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote