EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:00 PM   #1
alistair234

IMAP delete problem

hi, i've just upgraded to MS Office Professional 2010, and only started using IMAP since installing the 2010 software, i've followed the instructions how to setup imap http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/outlook2010.htm to the letter. as before i was sorely using webmail and thought I would have imap a go

in Outlook 2010 when trying to delete a E-mail message a the dialog box saying "The Deleted Items folder is unavailable"

i've connected up my gmail,GMX,fastmail via IMAP to outlook 2010, the message only appears when i delete email message in fastmail, rest i have no problems with

i have to log into webmail delete the email messages then in outlook 2010 right-click on fastmail account
and update folder list to stop the message appearing, had to do 2 or 3 times now and only been using using imap a day or two

what am i doing wrong please

thanks in advance

Last edited by alistair234 : 15 Dec 2010 at 11:23 PM.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Dec 2010, 10:40 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair234 View Post
hi, i've just upgraded to MS Office Professional 2010, and only started using IMAP since installing the 2010 software, i've followed the instructions how to setup imap http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/outlook2010.htm to the letter. as before i was sorely using webmail and thought I would have imap a go

in Outlook 2010 when trying to delete a E-mail message a the dialog box saying "The Deleted Items folder is unavailable"

i've connected up my gmail,GMX,fastmail via IMAP to outlook 2010, the message only appears when i delete email message in fastmail, rest i have no problems with

i have to log into webmail delete the email messages then in outlook 2010 right-click on fastmail account
and update folder list to stop the message appearing, had to do 2 or 3 times now and only been using using imap a day or two

what am i doing wrong please

thanks in advance
What this feels like is Outlook configured to move deleted messages to the wrong folder name. The 'Deleted Items' folder in Fastmail is called 'Trash'. As I remember, this is an account configuration option in Outlook. I think you will find a setting to move deleted items to 'Deleted Items' on Fastmail. Change this to 'Trash'.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2010, 01:42 PM   #3
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I do see this mentioned in the help. Check the step number 14 in this page:

http://fastmail.fm/docs/imap/outlook2010.htm

Can you double check if you haven't missed that step?

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
alistair234

Thanks, i must have missed that step, i thought i followed all step carefully too,

Everything is running with no problems now, this is first time I’ve dealt with imap, i know, I’m a bit slow on the uptake. Only dealt with pop before this, but think I’ll be sticking with imap from now on.

Thanks again

Last edited by alistair234 : 17 Dec 2010 at 05:00 PM.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote