EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
alistair234

double messages

hi, I知 an Enhanced Fastmail user, using Windows Mail on Vista to access my E-mails, I知 using POP, when I click on Include this Account when receiving mail or Synchronizing tick box, I知 receiving 2 copies of every E-mail that comes in, but when I untick the box I知 receiving one copy of each message, is this correct?

Thanks in advance
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Jul 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Can I recommend you use IMAP instead of POP? The built in Windows Mail in Vista works quite well with IMAP.

Advantages of IMAP, and setup instructions here:

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/ExternalMail.htm

Use the Outlook Express ones, they're the closest.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2008, 06:21 PM   #3
alistair234

Hi, I basically using pop because all my E-mails, when downloading messages can go through my E-mail scanner, which is Norton Internet Security 2008, as it doesn't have IMAP scanning.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
We already do a fairly good job at server side scanning. And in fact, virus spread emails are pretty rare these days.

Most "viruses" are spread by social engineering methods to get people to download them (eg those "you've got a greeting card" spams). They don't have the actual virus itself, they just point to a website that has it, which if you click on the link, is then downloaded via your web browser, which Norton should detect.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:35 AM   #5
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair234 View Post
hi, I知 an Enhanced Fastmail user, using Windows Mail on Vista to access my E-mails, I知 using POP, when I click on Include this Account when receiving mail or Synchronizing tick box, I知 receiving 2 copies of every E-mail that comes in, but when I untick the box I知 receiving one copy of each message, is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Check to make sure that you don't have two copies of that email account in your "accounts" list in windows mail.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote