EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 14 Sep 2015, 08:15 AM   #1
famadorian

Tuffmail Alternative

I've started using Tuffmail, but I've had bad experience with support there, not answering me, and I wonder if they're alive at all over there.

I need an alternative.

My basic requirement is that I need a powerful service and I'm willing to pay.

My primary requirements are that the webmail client is threaded. My second requirement is that I'm able to filter on arbitrary mail headers. I'm subscribed to over 400 mailing lists and they all mostly use the List-ID mail header to identify themselves.

I also got a huge load of mails I want to upload and parse.

For some reason, I got a really hard time to find a good service.

Please, advice me some alternatives.

Thank you.
famadorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2015, 08:21 AM   #2
famadorian

I've checked out runbox and they said:

1. No, we currently do not support threaded view in the Webmail. It is something that is on our list and it might land in the near future.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 11:37 AM   #3
emebrs
Essential Contributor

I don't have a suggestion for you, but your post makes me wonder what webmail software Tuffmail was using if it was actually powerful enough to meet your requirement.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2015, 01:51 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Tuffmail have been up the creek for a long long time, ever since the company changed hands,
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2015, 02:09 PM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I don't know which webmail you are using at Tuffmail, but Polaris mail has several to choose from. Horde is one of them. It has threaded view.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by famadorian View Post
I've started using Tuffmail, but I've had bad experience with support there, not answering me, and I wonder if they're alive at all over there.
Hmm, most of the times Derek answers quickly. Yes, they are still alive. Some quotes of my latest (August) conversation with Derek:

Quote:
[..] We have a new rack of equipment deployed at Peer1 in Vancouver and *mostly* configured with all the system components mirroring the functions of the old system in Miami. The final things to do include upgrading the Webmail clients and Account Manager. We didn't proceed with this on the old system since it was just too much of a hassle there. [..]
Quote:
[..] But I do wish to reassure that we're not going away any time soon. [..]
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
I don't have a suggestion for you, but your post makes me wonder what webmail software Tuffmail was using if it was actually powerful enough to meet your requirement.
Yeah, I wonder too.To my knowledge Tuffmail uses (old versions) of common clients: Squirrelmail (threads), Horde (threads) and Roundcube (no threads).
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2015, 06:14 PM   #8
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Hmm, most of the times Derek answers quickly. Yes, they are still alive. Some quotes of my latest (August) conversation with Derek:
Did he also mentioned something about upgrading account parameters to 2015 standards?
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2015, 02:44 PM   #9
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Hmm, most of the times Derek answers quickly. Yes, they are still alive...
That was not my experience, but it's been a long time since I had a Tuffmail account.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2015, 07:45 AM   #10
famadorian

Ok, thanks; I've selected Polaris and I hope this goes well. I'll let you know.

I first need to figure out how to upload my Maildir/ directories to it, but I guess I'll start a new thread for that.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 04:48 AM   #11
Tim79

I'm also wondering about the future of Tuffmail. I'm still sticking with them, because of their Account Manager and the Real Time Reports which gives me the feeling of being in total control.

From my perception Tuffmail stalled 5 years ago. It works, but there is no progress at all. Five years ago Derek was talking about a new Account Manager interface. Two years ago he rant about new storage systems to deliver more competitive pricing. Nothing ever happened. If not for the infrequent updates on http://status.tuffmail.net/ I would presume the service is on auto-pilot.

I don't want to complain, but I'm worried about the future of this service. I'm thinking about keeping it as incoming MX and use some other service to consume mails.

Is anyone aware of any service with similar configuration options and real-time reports? Having a similar track record of stability?
Tim79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2015, 05:35 AM   #12
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
I first need to figure out how to upload my Maildir/ directories to it, but I guess I'll start a new thread for that.
If you don't want/know how to do it yourself, I think someone at Polarismail will be able to do it for you if you can find a secure way of sharing a zip of your maildir with them. Might be the easiest solution.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2015, 05:38 AM   #13
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim79 View Post
Is anyone aware of any service with similar configuration options and real-time reports? Having a similar track record of stability?
The only service I can think of that meet both of those requirements is Luxsci, and they're likely to be much more expensive than Tuffmail unless you have a largish account with Tuffmail. Eumx has a reputation for being very open to customizations, so you may be able to have them set up something for you (for a fee).
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2015, 08:08 AM   #14
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Ok, thanks; I've selected Polaris and I hope this goes well. I'll let you know.

George the polarismail rep is a member here
usually he answers right away
either pm him or call the support number and he will call you back asw soon as he can
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2015, 07:39 PM   #15
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
My primary requirements are that the webmail client is threaded. My second requirement is that I'm able to filter on arbitrary mail headers.
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned FastMail yet. Their webmail is threaded, and you can either manually add a bunch of rules or just write a Sieve script.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote