EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Feb 2002, 11:05 PM   #31
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
The other thing we have to look at doing is tailoring our response with regard to people's service level. People who pay more probably expect and deserve better support than guest users.
That's what the people at Pegasus Mail (an outfit very similar to yours, even to being in broadly the same part of the world — New Zealand) do; the mail client is free, and will probably remain so, but if one buys a printed manual or give them a donation towards operating costs, one gets priority in technical support...

Quote:
And of course there's always improving the help system. The amount of knowledge buried in the faq is continuously growing. I recently wanted to explain how SMTP and POP are different to each other and what they're used for. I couldn't find a reasonable diagram elsewhere, so I created one myself http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/email_on_the_internet.html.
Sorry, that URL didn't work when I tried it just now...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 05:25 AM   #32
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

The forum has included the trailling '.' in the hyperlink. Remove this '.' and the URL will work fine: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/email_on_the_internet.html
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 05:45 AM   #33
kendp
Essential Contributor

Clarification, Please

As soon as rename feature reactivated, I want to rename my account. When I fill in the initial form on Preferences, do I enter current name or name that I wish to replace it with? Since I only get one shot, according to the info, I want to be sure I enter the correct name if this is where the desired name goes.
kendp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 07:30 AM   #34
tnt

Exclamation

My web account now works just fine! I knew it wouldn't take long!! ;-)
Thanks Rob!

There's only one very minor 'glitch' which I thought I should mention in case it has gone unnoticed and it's not only a one off.

In my new account the destination folder of all my filters had been changed to INBOX. Thankfully, the rules themselves were there so it was only a matter of just clicking on the drop-down box.

Nothing major, just thought you might like to know.

Cheers,
Theo
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 07:49 AM   #35
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
The forum has included the trailling '.' in the hyperlink. Remove this '.' and the URL will work fine: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/email_on_the_internet.html
Excellent page!

And a good point, that the SMTP and POP/IMAP services don't have to be the same server, or even the same ISP; I generally use the POP3 (and, soon, IMAP) of my mailbox provider, but for SMTP I use the server provided by my cybercafé's ISP (they had a glitch a few years ago; when they barred open relaying they accidentally barred their café users as well — but they've fixed this now)...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 08:11 AM   #36
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by tnt
In my new account the destination folder of all my filters had been changed to INBOX. Thankfully, the rules themselves were there so it was only a matter of just clicking on the drop-down box.
Ah! I know what caused that. I'll change the code so it works properly in the future!

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote