EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

IMAP data transfer rate

Can someone tell me what Runbox's data transfer rates are (or should be) for the IMAP servers?

What speed is it designed to deliver, what speeds should we expect? (beta and production)

- Randy
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Bump.

I'd still like to know what Runbox's target data transfer rates are - what should we, as customers, be expecting. What is the normal range, what would be considered abnormal? A high-low range would be great so we know if we're experiencing problems or not.

Thanks.

- Randy
Old 13 Aug 2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Okay, does either

1) nobody care?

or

2) nobody knows?

or

3) something else?

Do I need top open a support ticket to get this information?

- Randy
Old 14 Aug 2008, 06:43 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I don't think there is an "expected" transfer rate defined. At least none that I have seen.

The transfer rates a user would experience will of course depend not only on the Runbox servers but on the data transfer rates along the entire internet connection.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Of course that's true, Rich. Things will vary depending on a number of factors. However, I'm trying to get some idea if what I'm experiencing is symptomatic of a problem or if it's the way it should be.

I have a reasonably fast late-model computer with a reasonably fast (1mb) line. With nothing else running, my data transfer rate from Runbox is 4-60kb/second. When I'm surfing the web I get 80-300kb/second.

Surely Runbox has an opinion on this. Is Runbox capable of these higher rates?

From a customer standpoint, it seems a bit sluggish.

Does anyone else here using IMAP experience this? What are your data transfer rates? (I'm using the Activity Monitor application on my Mac to give me the network usage statistics.).

- Randy
Old 15 Aug 2008, 07:42 PM   #6
liteswap

Yes lots of people have experienced this - just scroll through this forum to find plenty of threads on this issue. It's caused me to quit Runbox after over five years as a loyal customer and go elsewhere. I too thought at first it was a configuration problem etc and fiddled about for ages trying to make it work.

After a while the light dawned: it's a Runbox problem, and they seem, sadly, to have no idea how to fix it, if the comments on this forum are representative of the company's views. All we get is platitudes about plans to fix it. So I upped stakes and moved my emails to another provider (also represented on this forum).

I'd come back to (Norway-based) Runbox if they fix the slow IMAP problem before my sub runs out in February 09 mainly because I'd rather host my emails with a European company, eg Norway, than in New York (where they currently live) partly because it's closer to me, but also because Norway's less of a target for the world's disaffected than New York. Or is that a tad too political...?
liteswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Rich,

You're not in Norway, you're in the States. What is YOUR data transfer rate when you send/receive from your IMAP client? I'd be interested in seeing how it compares.

Anyone else care to share their rates here?

- Randy
Old 16 Aug 2008, 02:53 AM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Our experience is that the new IMAP server (port 1143) is faster, with a download rate of 20-40 (periodically around 50) headers per second, depending on account and folder size, among other things. When downloading messages I'm currently seeing transfer rates up to 5 Mbps using Windows Mail (probably limited by my local connection).

We're currently testing the new IMAP server with large amounts of data to ensure it will not cause problems with large accounts. It is looking good thus far, and we should be ready to deploy it fully when the testing is complete.

Thereafter the plan is to improve the message storage structure on the servers to improve the IMAP server performance further, as the flat folder structure causes problems when processing large accounts.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 08:26 PM   #9
mdembski

download rates

I don't get anywhere near 20 or 30 headers per second, at best 1 or 2. But I am also scanning them for virus as they come in, so am not too disappointed with the performance. I am more disappointed in the upload performance with larger attachments and the performance in the files section. Neither of these are being scanned by my antivirus and they will frequently time out (this included both IMAP and webmail-webmail will frequently time out when sending and give me an error page and find that the email was sent inspite of error message). Forgot to mention, when I get the error message with webmail, the message never ends up in my sent folder, but the recipient receives it. I frequently end up sending multiple times because I don't know it was actually sent.
mdembski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 11:33 PM   #10
liteswap

I just checked my old account by seeing how long it took for a 60k messagebase to download. It ran at around 0.75 headers per second. Painfully slow - and worse, slow enough for operations such as moving emails form one account to another to time out.

Last edited by liteswap : 17 Aug 2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
liteswap is offline   Reply With Quote