EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Apr 2017, 06:14 AM   #346
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
They dont care about us and its sad.............

They dont care WHATS BETTER... They just wanna make it worse AND IN THIER MINDS think its better...

The way of the world now and its sad.......

Haridlty EVER for better...... IT USUALLY ALWAYS GETS WORSE and for no bloody reason
Um.... Who says you get to decide what's better for fast mails userbase? Seems the userbase decided what was better by the features they choose to use. The features they use are continued, while the features they don't, are discontinued. Seems like if you want to blame someone, blame the other users for not liking the same functionality.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 04:42 PM   #347
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya you have a good point there China!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 05:06 PM   #348
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Seems the userbase decided what was better by the features they choose to use.
No the old features we are talking about were never implemented so userbase did not decide whats best...Fastmail did.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 05:35 PM   #349
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
No the old features we are talking about were never implemented so userbase did not decide whats best...Fastmail did.
As a general rule, if features were not being used when the classic interface was in use by the bulk of the user base, they likely would not be used now if implemented in the current interface. That is assuming (i) FastMail is being truthful about the popularity of particular features; and (ii) it is not a matter of a feature having become unused because only available in the classic interface that few now use on a regular basis.
Insert Quick Note always struck be as a n"ice to have" option, but I can certainly live without it. It would be a bigger productivity aid on mobile than desktop interface, I think.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 05:43 PM   #350
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

I just emailed FastMail again..
Quote:
I am re-sending since I did not hear back from FastMail on these features...
for the two features I know, love, use, need listed below..

additional new thoughts.. as mentioned on the forums... some people did
not like these features sadly.. so I would like to recommend they be added
as optional settings in one of these locations:
- GENERAL Preferences --> under themes as a new sub-option??
or
- MAIL Preferences --> under a new section called folder options

calling them:
- Show folder counts (new/total)
- show Trash empty link

ps: I have used the guide
https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...ransition.html
to make as many changes to the New UI as I could, but lacking these
two features I use every day.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 06:05 PM   #351
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
As a general rule, if features were not being used when the classic interface was in use by the bulk of the user base, they likely would not be used now if implemented in the current interface.
Well what about folder count...we all used that, I now have to implement my own hack.

Also two clicks to log out....that's so stupid
Old 2 Apr 2017, 06:21 PM   #352
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Question

Quote:
Well what about folder count...we all used that, I now have to implement my own hack.

What hack are you using?!

I tried a GreaseMonkey script called "Fastmail - Folder Badge Controls v1.0.1"
GitHub -- michaelstepner/fastmail-FolderBadgeControls

9461-fastmail-folder-badge-controls (install from this page)

it doesn't works so well..
1) it uses long words instead of the ClassicUI's simple approach
(new/total) <-- Aligned right margin (ie. cluttering the UI )

2) while this script is enabled and I am already logged into the New UI, I have restart Firefox to get this script to actually work

I tried one other method uses the Firefox addon called Stylish
see this old thread for thoughts on the folder count feature:
How can I display unread and total message counts in normal folder list? loaded @ post 17
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 07:23 PM   #353
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

The one you listed below stylish in Firefox, I have also started to use Thunderbird a little bit.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 08:18 PM   #354
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
You have made this point many times, and I disagree with you.

You want FastMail to have a Logout button permanently present at the edge of the screen at all times. This is not good design, but a waste of screen real estate, especially as (even if such a button were present) using it would not be the most efficient way of signing out.

Regular users should learn the keyboard shortcuts for frequently used functions. To log out, you use Shift-g,l (mnemonic: Go Logout). This is quicker than your proposed move the mouse to a Logout button and clicking on it.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 03:41 AM   #355
Bamb0
Master of the @

I have no problems moving mouse to logout and clicking it..... Shortcuts just cause accidental actions! (Which have happend to me several times w/fastmail)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2017, 03:59 AM   #356
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
I have no problems moving mouse to logout and clicking it..... Shortcuts just cause accidental actions! (Which have happend to me several times w/fastmail)
If you dislike using the keyboard for navigation, by all means use whatever capabilities are available to achieve what you want. However, do not be surprised that the screen layout is not optimized for what most people would regard an inferior way of working.

Personally, while the mouse is useful for certain functions, I rarely touch it when using programs I use frequently, and know how to use effectively. I do use the mouse more when I am learning a program and do not yet know the more efficient ways of getting things done.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 06:33 AM   #357
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
You have made this point many times, and I disagree with you.

You want FastMail to have a Logout button permanently present at the edge of the screen at all times. This is not good design, but a waste of screen real estate, especially as (even if such a button were present) using it would not be the most efficient way of signing out.

Regular users should learn the keyboard shortcuts for frequently used functions. To log out, you use Shift-g,l (mnemonic: Go Logout). This is quicker than your proposed move the mouse to a Logout button and clicking on it.
Well the log out button was built into in the classic and does not take up much room
I don't use short cuts sorry
Old 3 Apr 2017, 07:04 AM   #358
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
I don't use short cuts sorry
I get that change is hard, but seriously, every little change is met with stubborn immovability and impertinent arrogance. Two clicks to log out, the world is coming to an end. An option is given for no mouse clicks and it's met with, will I don't do short cuts.

No wonder developers ignore these forums.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2017, 07:07 AM   #359
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Google has 2 clicks to log out so I suppose they have to follow the trend.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 07:20 AM   #360
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Since I have physical control and startup password access to my PC, I very rarely log out. I can then unlock the PC and the Fastmail website automatically updates when that browser tab is viewed. If I was using PC's I didn't own and control I would of course log out and clear cookies. It only takes two keypresses or two mouse actions, so it's very easy. Many other features (such as Help or Notes or Files or Calendar or Address Book) would be more suitable for a button than log out, in my opinion. But I don't want any of them to fill up my screen!

Most people use mobile devices more often than desktop PC's these days, and there just isn't room for all of those buttons on the small screen. Can you imagine using the conventional Thunderbird or Outlook user interface or the Fastmail Classic interface on a full Windows display on a mobile phone? It would be impossible. This is the main reason that user interfaces have been simplified over the last decade, hiding less-used features until they are needed. You only need to use the log off feature one time (or less) per session!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote