EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 1 Oct 2012, 04:07 AM   #1
R3nCi

For those who may be wondering why I no longer use Gmail...

This is directed toward anyone who has important content - emails, photos, etc. - on Google's servers, especially users of Gmail/Google Mail.

My story begins in January of 2009, when I first signed up for Gmail. Migrating from SoftHome.net, I found Gmail to be a definite improvement. A better (or so I then thought!) interface and larger attachment file-size limit were the main attractions; back then I tended to send large numbers of attachment-heavy emails, so it was wonderful to have all that space. Oh, and of course being able to chat with my contacts was an interesting idea as well, although looking back I realize that wasn't really a feature that positively contributed to my life much!

I lived happily with Gmail until late 2010 when I dived into the wide world of Linux. Using an alternative operating system was such an eye-opening experience for me; it was such an interesting prospect to be able to modify my system that much. The first night I had Ubuntu 10.10 up and running, I spent a sleepless 6 hours tweaking my setup, posting on the Ubuntu Forums (which I later discovered is run by a bunch of ban-happy totalitarians - but that's a story for another thread!) and generally reveling in my new-found freedom.

As I became more interested in extensively customizing my operating system, so came rising dissatisfaction with Gmail and with Google in general. Gmail is not thought of as a particularly lightweight system, and for good reason! I wanted something fast-loading, with a much more bare-bones interface that would let me customize it more than a solution such as Gmail, tailored to everyone who wants to get in. Also, privacy concerns were starting to nag me. "What will Google do with my personal data? They can scan my emails for relevant keywords; what stops them from putting together a dossier on me based on my interactions with Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, etc? Nothing, really. In fact, they probably do know all kinds of things I don't want them to, even now." I began to research alternative options for web search, email, etc.

And then, the catastrophe.

During the evening of March 1st, 2012, I attempted to change the password to my Google account, something I try to do fairly often to protect my privacy and lower the likelihood of my getting hacked (again - my Gmail account was hacked twice from somewhere in Poland). My new password seemed to be accepted, yet for some reason I was unable to log back in to my account using either my old password or the new one just set. No matter - I was back in a short while later, having answered my security question and passed with flying colors. I then attempted to change my password once more, and this time it accepted it and let me log back in (ta da!). But there was one problem - not a single one of the almost 2000 emails that were previously in my Gmail account were present. An empty inbox stared me in the face.

I started feverishly searching for my lost emails. All Mail was empty, as was Trash; my creative searching was to no avail. The emails were lost.

A brief web search led to the discovery that I was not the only one to have had this problem. A number of people had, in the past, experienced this very same issue of a wiped inbox. Google's basic policy seem(ed|s) to be, "You lost your email. That's not very nice, is it? Too bad." Impressive </sarcasm> help from one of the most populated email providers in the world.

Luckily, before this debacle occured, I did an extensive amount of research on alternatives to Google. Email, I found, is best either self-hosted (whether that means setting up that old computer in your garage as a mail server or purchasing a shared hosting account and running pop3 accounts from there), or run through FastMail. Yahoo! and other common 'free' webmail providers have similar issues to Google/Gmail, only in slightly different forms. They are not to be trusted.

I sincerely hope that this helps out those who may be considering a move away from Google. If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
R3nCi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Oct 2012, 04:25 AM   #2
petergh
Master of the @

Firstly, welcome to the forums, R3nCi. I'm sure you'll like it here, as these forums are brimful with email experts who will happily help you out with any email question you may have.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Gmail. Unfortunately, as you've discovered the hard way, you're far from being the only who's found out the hard way that once the s*** hits the f**, Google is not exactly your friend. It is for that very reason I've decided to abandon Google myself a while ago, despite the fact that I *still* think they have the very best webmail interface around.

I hope you'll stay and spend enough time here to find out what a great place EMD really is. I've been here almost every day since 2002, and I enjoy it as much today as I did back then.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
radtux

I had lost access to Google and then shifted to Fastmail.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
odedp
Master of the @

I've created a gmail account long time ago "because everyone did"...
Didn't like it from the start so actually never really used it.
Glad I didn't

Oded.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
... once the s*** hits the f**, Google is not exactly your friend. It is for that very reason I've decided to abandon Google myself a while ago, despite the fact that I *still* think they have the very best webmail interface around.
I agree with both of those opinions. I think that when things go wrong, that none of the free providers are really very supportive. That's why it difficult to trust them with important business or professional messaging. I also agree that the Gmail Web user interface is by far the best that there is.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Is it fair to have the same expectations of a free provider as a paid provider? The reality is, your email service may not be more secure or reliable with a paid provider, but at least you have a legitimate complaint.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:41 PM   #7
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Yes but some of us have no choice do we?
If one have an android smart phone then
for to be able to buy apps one need to be
or rather have a gmail account. okay one can
maybe restrict the usage to only be for to
sign the buying contract and not use it for
personal things.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:21 AM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Is it fair to have the same expectations of a free provider as a paid provider? The reality is, your email service may not be more secure or reliable with a paid provider, but at least you have a legitimate complaint.
And typically a more accessible and responsible support system.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes but some of us have no choice do we?
If one have an android smart phone then
for to be able to buy apps one need to be
or rather have a gmail account.
Who doesn't have a choice? I have an iPhone that requires an Apple ID, but that can either be my own address or an @me.com address. I also have a Google account that uses my own email address, and not a @gmail.com one.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:49 PM   #10
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Who doesn't have a choice? ...I also have a Google account
that uses my own email address, and not a @gmail.com one.
I trust you talk about something like buying a domain and setting up
your own email on that one. Like drew at swedenEU dot se or something.

I don't trust that Google/Gmail would accept I gave them my lavabit
or fastmail or myopera or EUMX or GMX or Zoho or ...

It has to be a privately owned domain that one relate the gmail account to.

AFAIK all smart phones with android if you want to pay on google market
you need to register and get a google account unless you have your own
domain.

My operator is comviq.se and AFAIK I need to give them my gmail address for to be member and send SMS online for free.

All such is related to gmail account. Can you explain I obviously don't get it
Old 24 Oct 2012, 01:50 AM   #11
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I don't trust that Google/Gmail would accept I gave them my lavabit
or fastmail or myopera or EUMX or GMX or Zoho or ...
Trust it. Google account isn't mailbox/gmail. You can create one google account (not gmail account) providing your current email ids, any of it.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2012, 05:09 AM   #12
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Oh Sorry, then I have to trust you and look into it
and test to see what happens. I have to look for
some example on their Help pages so I get how it
is set up.

Would I not get much spam if I have my
email address as the user name for Google?

Okay I have to look into it to get how they have done it.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:30 PM   #13
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Would I not get much spam if I have my
email address as the user name for Google?
I have/had several google account which are not gmail one. I haven't faced any spam problem yet. And FYI no phone no is required to create a google account ( Gmail needs).

Basically you get access to google services, and a dashboard to show up how much data google have collected from you (account activity).
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2012, 05:19 PM   #14
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I trust your experience it is more that I don't trust
that I am clever enough to click on the correct button
and enter the proper info for to set such things up.

I do have a gmail account with a user name that I
want to change. I wonder if I can somehow change
that one to a Google account with a another email
address? Hm I should go to their Help and look up
examples. I got Google+ automatically when I filled
in that one. So I am bad at logic.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 08:23 PM   #15
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have several gmail accounts; many were created back when it was new by invitation only and many of us here at EMD were amongst the first peoople to try it! Remember those days, folks?

It works well for me for certain things; but in my opinion, Fastmail still remains as my most reliable email provider that I trust and in the years since joining EMD and very shortly afterwards, purchasing various accounts from Fastmail, I still feel this way.

Yes, there has been a few issues, over the years, with Fastmail, but it is still my favourite and my main email provider.

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote