EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: How do you like to access your email primarily?
I use the fastmail.fm web interface primarily. 79 35.27%
MS Outlook is the best! 15 6.70%
I prefer Outlook Express. 52 23.21%
Pegasus Email is the king of clients. 3 1.34%
Eudora is my client of choice. 14 6.25%
The Bat! -- simple yet powerful. 5 2.23%
Mulberry owns all other email clients. 13 5.80%
Pine: what more could you want? 6 2.68%
The Mozilla/Netscape client rocks! 16 7.14%
I'm a freak! (choice unlisted) 21 9.38%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:48 PM   #46
MrBond

Quote:
Originally posted by esTester
That is only a feature of OE because of the identities feature. Netscape used to have identities, but I can't seem to find them in Version 6. I think Endoura might, but I am not sure. I think that most don't because they are aimed for personal use, instead of Family use like OE seems to be.
Netscape 6/7/Mozilla continue to support profiles. There is a different approach to it, however:

True multi-user support. NT OSes and *nix derivatives are just some of the OSes that have true multi user support. In these cases, Netscape creates a profile for each of these users and makes it the default. Each user is unable to access another's profile. Additional profiles can be added, but generally aren't necessary.

In addition, now that Netscape 6/7/Mozilla has complete multiple email account support, the main reason for multiple profiles is removed.

You can find it at STart>programs>netscape 6/7>profile manager
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:57 PM   #47
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I just wasn't looking the right place when I was looking for it before.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:59 PM   #48
MrBond

Mozilla baby!

I've been using Mozilla/Netscape for about a year and a month now; I was a bit of an early adopter. I use it as my main browser and main email too.

IMAP support is great, and so is POP. The fact that it splits multiple email accts into their own inboxes is a great plus for me. Quick search is another feature i find myself using often, even though I didn't think I would.

Browsing is topnotch, giving IE6 a run for its money as far as I'm concerned. 100% standards support, and no evildoer status associated with it.

Anyways, back to email. I like Eudora, but it doesn't work for me. Plus I found its IMAP support a little weird, but that's not a big deal.

I absolutely abhor OE and Outlook. Both contain all the downfalls of a Microsoft product, evil and all. I do however use Outlook for my school email, since they run Exchange for some reason. That's all I use it for though.
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2002, 03:28 AM   #49
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Smile Netscsape/Mozilla forever

I've been using Netscape (now Mozilla) forever, or at least since I started on the web. I've tried a couple of other clients, like Eudora and Foxmail, but I always come back where I started.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 11:05 PM   #50
octothorpe
= Permanently banned =

usually Eudora, but sometimes my cell phone: http://www.phonefish.com
octothorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2002, 05:54 PM   #51
reuben
Essential Contributor

pine pine pine pine
pine pine pine pine
pine pine pine pine

PINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINEPINE

and sometimes the web interface
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2002, 01:12 AM   #52

I have more email clients loaded on my hard drive than I care to think about - I'm always willing to try one more. I use OE because of it's IMAP support. OE has always worked well for me at home, and I am satisfied with it.

At work I use Lotus Notes - very complex and powerful, and after four months I am still wading through it and figuring things out.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 02:00 AM   #53
kc80027

Microsoft Outlook (Exchange Server Edition for Power Macintosh). I have this installed on both my work computer and home computer for my work email account, which handles most of my emailing. I use the fastmail account for my "personal" interactions with the web such as eBay, Amazon, Schwab, online banking, etc. I access fastmail using the web interface and leave the small poll window open to check for new messages every 15 minutes.

-kc
kc80027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2002, 07:31 AM   #54
Earendil

I use a Linux mail client called, Evolution.

Rick
Earendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2002, 05:16 AM   #55
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Earendil
I use a Linux mail client called, Evolution
...which MrBond might wanna try for Exchange access w/o Outlook.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2002, 01:20 PM   #56
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

Mozilla owns you...

I switched from Eudora to Mozilla, and looked back quite a bit, but haven't used Eudora for quite a while now.

Now that I'm using Linux once in a while, and thinking about using an Apple once in a while... Mozilla seems to be the only way to go.

- Marland
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2002, 05:16 PM   #57
psalzer

I just had my C drive swapped out and am running Win2k. I had 98 before. Did OE always have an option to read mail in plain text by default? If so, I never found it until now. So, in my mind that makes OE a better option than it was before and have been using it for the last..well, only for the last day. I think I still like the Fastmail interface the best, though. I might use OE for synching from here on in, though. It does it well and now that I know I don't have to have HTML mail in the preview pane I feel a little safer about it.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2002, 12:00 AM   #58
kc80027

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
...now that I know I don't have to have HTML mail in the preview pane I feel a little safer about it.
Pardon what is probably a very basic question, but what is the security issue with HTML and the email client?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 02:57 AM   #59
psalzer

As far as I know, malicious scripts, which of course, could happen on a web page, too, and tracking images, which I just don't like at all. Also, when HTML is disabled in OE, attachments don't appear in the preview pain at all. You click a tab to get to them.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2002, 02:40 PM   #60
kc80027

Yeah, I understand....you don't know what graphic image may be exposed on your monitor if you don't take precautions!