EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Nov 2015, 08:47 AM   #16
goob

I was going to ask what the purpose is of doing a DDoS attack but then read the post about the ransom (thanks for posting that). I'd not use a provider that paid a ransom of any kind, and I hope FM doesn't resort to doing that. It would just encourage the same type of behavior in the future.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 08:49 AM   #17
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Fine here in UK. Must have been a short outage, maybe they were expecting it after all the hoo-haa with other email providers.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 08:54 AM   #18
goob

Seems fine for me now but was down for a short bit just a few minutes ago.
Old 9 Nov 2015, 09:33 AM   #19
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You can keep track of these here:
http://www.fastmailstatus.com/

Fastmail was down for a short time for me about an hour ago.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 11:59 AM   #20
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Hopefully, these scum will shortly recognize that FM is not a soft target and focus their efforts elsewhere. The Pingdom reports indicate that, in spite of these DDOS attacks, FM has managed about 99% availability over the last 24 hours. This is why I do not begrudge FM a relatively high $ per GB figure. We pay for reliability.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 03:54 AM   #21
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Hopefully, these scum will shortly recognize that FM is not a soft target and focus their efforts elsewhere. The Pingdom reports indicate that, in spite of these DDOS attacks, FM has managed about 99% availability over the last 24 hours. This is why I do not begrudge FM a relatively high $ per GB figure. We pay for reliability.
Well, let's hope they pay enough $ to NYI (their primary datacenter) as it all pertains to them.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 04:21 AM   #22
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

With these sophisticated DDoS attacks, mitigation normally needs to be a shared effort. Certainly, boundary defense is an important part of this, and FM chose well in trusting their service to a well-prepared competent data centre. However, I would be surprised if FM got away without having to block stuff at the server level also.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 04:39 AM   #23
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
However, I would be surprised if FM got away without having to block stuff at the server level also.
Maybe, I am very far form being an expert in this field. But I would have thought that the mitigation has to be on a 'network level' rather than on a server level, as by then it is a bit too late (would the routers cope with a very high load of traffic?). One thing they could do is use a CDN (e.g. cloudflare), at the (very high, to me at least) cost of privacy.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 04:49 PM   #24
Just Bill

Cool

I've experienced no problems with my email. Seems they need to pick a fight with a smaller company.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 06:06 PM   #25
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Checked my account (I'm in Belgium, I have a free account predating the switch to paid-only registrations) ; worked flawlessly here.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2015, 08:57 AM   #26
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
We've been laying low for a few days while we get improved mitigation in place. We think we're ready now, so we've posted this:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2015/11/11/...ion-this-week/
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2015, 09:02 AM   #27
goob

From the blog:

Quote:
We do not respond to extortion attempts, and we will not pay these criminals under any circumstances.
That makes me very happy. Thank you!
Old 11 Nov 2015, 12:47 PM   #28
dodorkahedron

Thumbs up

I'm very impressed with how FM and NYI handled this. I appreciate the advance notice of possible service interruptions this week as they mitigate any further attacks. I much prefer that to paying ransom to miscreants!

My account is due for renewal, and I'm pleased to say I will be on board for another five years.
dodorkahedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2015, 01:56 PM   #29
Just Bill

Just the fact that Protonmail gave into their demands is enough to make me NEVER want to use their service
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2015, 02:04 PM   #30
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Just the fact that Protonmail gave into their demands is enough to make me NEVER want to use their service
I'd say cut 'em some slack. According to their blog, they had enormous pressure on them from their ISP and hundreds of other businesses that were affected as collateral damage. It sounded like they resisted paying as much as they could.
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote