EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Mar 2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

New Settings panel in web interface

I love it! Much easier to get to things now without having to go into the Advanced screen. When did this roll out? I've been using an email client a lot, so I didn't notice until today.

Last edited by Mugwhamp : 3 Mar 2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Mar 2016, 08:10 PM   #2
jssrea

Just a few days ago.
jssrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2016, 11:22 PM   #3
goob

Ugh, I hate the new interface. Specifically, it seems I can no longer use FM for work purposes even though I have an enhanced account. I work for a company that scans email signatures for people who request it, and I have been using FM to change my email signatures as needed. It was great because I could create a personality with an email address at any domain. I would then send email from those personalities to one or more of the gmail acccounts I use for my testing, after which I'd import the gmail accounts and check how well we processed the email signatures that I had previously created. Part of this depends on us being able to match the email "from" field to the email address in the signature.

Now it seems I can not send mail that appears to come from any email address. While this helps combat spam, it doesn't help people like me who needed this feature for our jobs, and yes while I'm sure the number of people who legitimately need this features is small, it's still a pain losing it. Now I need to find another provider that allows this functionality.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

well I can....I get a drop down box.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2016, 08:12 AM   #5
goob

There is a drop-down for personalities that were already created. It seems I can't, for example, create a personality for a gmail account unless I sign into that account. If I enter a gmail address I am prompted to sign in to gmail.

I realize I might be the only person affected by this change, and that's fine... I will just need to look elsewhere.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2016, 05:37 AM   #6
apa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
There is a drop-down for personalities that were already created. It seems I can't, for example, create a personality for a gmail account unless I sign into that account. If I enter a gmail address I am prompted to sign in to gmail.

I realize I might be the only person affected by this change, and that's fine... I will just need to look elsewhere.
Also affects me too :/

It's an unfortunate loss.
apa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2016, 03:16 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you use a full Gmail address, it's going to use the Gmail SMTP, so it needs to get permission from Gmail to log in as you for sending email. If you don't want to do that, you can do what has always been available. You can create an Account (new name for a personality) with a wildcard address. For example, use *@gmail.com or *@anydomain.abc or anything else which has * for the local part of the email address (to the left of @). When you use that as the sending account on the Compose screen, you can change the From address to anything you wish at the domain you chose or any other domain.

The only thing which appears to have changed is that Fastmail now automatically sets up external SMTP for Gmail and a few other services when you enter a full email address for that non-Fastmail domain.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote