EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Oct 2002, 11:40 PM   #1
Houman

Next Enhancements ?

I was wondering if there would be any inside info on what would be the next enhancements added to Fastmail ?

Just fyi, I stopped using the web interface and am using OE at work, because of the tab issues where you'd have to press it a lot to switch between to, cc, etc... (I know the enhancement is coming)

Houman
Houman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Oct 2002, 12:14 AM   #2
kc80027

Check out Coming Enhancements or do you mean additional enhancements besides these?
kc80027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 09:55 AM   #3
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

We're currently working on performance--we hope to be able to provide some substantial speedups soon. We've also been working on reliability, and have almost completed a new infrastructure design that removes all single points of failure.

Next major launch will be reseller and business/family products. These will provide integrated billing, user management, and customisation.

We haven't set priorities after that yet. I'm keen to get address syncing and file storage working. Also I'd like to add a few minor web interface functions, like raw-message view, and adding spam scores (optionally) to subject lines. But Rob and I will discuss all that once the other stuff is done, so it's too early to say what the priorities will be...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 10:20 AM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

HTML

A lot of us would like HTML..............about 75%.... so will it be this year ? as I hate using hotmail.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 11:04 AM   #5
psalzer

Addressbook fields. I'm in Fastmail all day. I would so like to be able to use it to store snail mail addresses. Of course, performance is more important, but I was really hoping that the addressbook thing was high on the list after that.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 02:55 PM   #6
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Yes, HTML composition is also high on the list (at least something basic; preferably a proper [optional] rich text editor).

The address book would be enhanced when we do address book syncing (otherwise we'd have to redo the sync stuff as we change the data model...)
Old 12 Oct 2002, 04:09 PM   #7
AndreasW

Sorry, but what about error corrections? There are a lot of known bugs.
AndreasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 05:39 PM   #8
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
We're currently working on performance--we hope to be able to provide some substantial speedups soon. We've also been working on reliability, and have almost completed a new infrastructure design that removes all single points of failure.
Good to see the priorities are right! Speed has not been as good as it should be recently. I look forward to the address book enhancements too - both extra fields and synchronisation. I won't be using the HTML composition though....
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:44 PM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

AndreasW, squashing bugs is always a priority. Sorry I didn't explicitly mention that.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 08:56 AM   #10
eggman
Essential Contributor

For me an extra field of 50 characters in the address book would mean I could move my [street] addresses off yahoo and onto Fastmail.

Is that an easy thing for you to add? I know it impacts on capacity but this would mean several of my friends may move over......

</Pleading>

Last edited by eggman : 14 Oct 2002 at 09:00 AM.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2002, 01:54 PM   #11
mikemee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Next major launch will be reseller and business/family products. These will provide integrated billing, user management, and customisation.
Jerry, are the details / timeframes of either of these available? (Point me at an url or email me, whatever you prefer). I inherited ~20 email customers of varying sizes (about 120 mailboxes total at $2/ea/mth) from a dot com and would happily move them all to fastmail (which, after all is my main email service) if possible.

FYI, the main thing they require is the ability to easily administer mailboxes within a domain. Currently its a little too clunky for my (mostly very inexperienced) customers to deal with the twists and turns of setting up an enhanced account with the domain, then aliasing / forwarding to other fastmail accounts. (I'd be happy to give you an admin account on a dummy domain so you could check out the UI, btw).

I'm also not fussed whether I resell or just move them over to you directly as long as their needs are met.

cheers, michael
mikemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2002, 01:57 PM   #12
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

It's looking like about middle of next month. Email salesATfastmailDOTfm with the details of what you're after and we can give you pricing details. You should be able to make a profit reselling at $2/month.

When you email, please do include details about admin interfaces that you like. Rob is working on this at the moment, so we're always looking for ideas.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:30 PM   #13
chrisdamato

Ignore/Prefix/Append Preference

I know that the fastmail.fm team has a whole lot of great value-adding features in the works, and it's great that we users have so much to look forward to. But if they added one tiny little feature it would be a big hit with me and maybe some other folks:

Please can fastmail remember what I want to do with the original message when I forward it or reply to it?

Thank you in advance.
chrisdamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2002, 07:05 AM   #14
sjk
Master of the @

I hear you on that one, Chris. I think it's quite an important option for streamlining message composition. Achieving a condition with overly repetitive actions that could be a default doesn't serve those users well.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2002, 07:15 AM   #15
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I hear you too. It's probably the most common 'little' request we have...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote