EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jul 2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Google Calendar invitations not arriving in FastMail inbox

Work is requiring us to use the G-Suite. I have the Gmail account IMAP-enabled in my FM settings (and in Gmail settings), and receive all other mail from my Gmail account into my FM account with no problem. However, some, not all, Google Calendar invitations created by others and sent to my Gmail inbox do not make it into my FM inbox. Guidance?
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2020, 01:27 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I am not sure, but it feels like you are receiving regular emails sent to your Gmail account (likely as a result of a forwarding rule on the account) but special messages sent by Google to your Inbox (such as with calendar invitations, but perhaps other cases too) bypass the forwarding rule. Usually, I would expect pulling from the Google inbox using Mail Fetch (previously POP retrieval) to do the trick, but there appears no easy way of creating new Mail Fetch targets. Hope someone else can help. Maybe, support can create Mail Fetch targets for an account.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2020, 07:13 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Maybe the people sending the Google Calendar invitations aren't using their "real" Gmail address, but instead some other address to send them, and that other address is considered suspicious by Fastmail. This would be using the "Send mail as" feature of Gmail. Do the calendar invites arrive at the original Gmail account even if they don't show up in FM?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Mugwhamp

Thanks for the responses, though I think I've figured out the problem. In FM I have been archiving those calendar invitations after I've responded to them. When a new invitation comes in, which is a response to the previous invitation, it is also ending up in my Archive folder threaded with the previous one, which is why I didn't see it in my inbox. Now I need to figure out a way around that.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Mugwhamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwhamp View Post
Thanks for the responses, though I think I've figured out the problem. In FM I have been archiving those calendar invitations after I've responded to them. When a new invitation comes in, which is a response to the previous invitation, it is also ending up in my Archive folder threaded with the previous one, which is why I didn't see it in my inbox. Now I need to figure out a way around that.
Update on the post above. Both meetings to which I was invited by a co-worker this morning who used Google Calendar to create the event with their work email address landed marked as read into my Archive folder. Checking Gmail, both invitations are in the Gmail inbox. I am genuinely stumped.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 03:04 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Update on the post above. Both meetings to which I was invited by a co-worker this morning who used Google Calendar to create the event with their work email address landed marked as read into my Archive folder. Checking Gmail, both invitations are in the Gmail inbox. I am genuinely stumped.
Are you viewing any of these emails from another device?

Are you certain that you don't have filter rules defined that are processing them?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:59 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
That is pretty odd. At this point, I would be taking a very close look at the full headers from both messages, and considering them in conjunction with your rules. Clearly, FastMail is receiving the messages, and I cannot really see how a FastMail error or external mail filter is going to archive the message.

EDIT: Actually, I just had another idea. Is it possible that the messages you never saw arrived in your Inbox just before you archived the conversation? I could foresee this resulting in the message being archived (by you) without your noticing it.

Last edited by BritTim : 27 Jul 2020 at 09:13 AM.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote