EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 5 Nov 2004, 03:48 AM   #1
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
JLmail Reopen

JLmail.com is no longer closed we have prematurely ended the deal with the other partnership. If you are still interested in free emails visit the website provided. Thank you all for your cooperation.

Last edited by jlnt : 23 Jan 2006 at 12:06 AM.
jlnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Nov 2004, 04:46 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Will you give time for users to remove their emails to other accounts? Two weeks notice would be nice.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2004, 08:20 AM   #3
mnn2k

so the account that i had with JLMail will be deleted???
mnn2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2004, 09:01 AM   #4
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

The accounts must already be disabled. I've been trying to login for the last couple of days and haven't been able to.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2004, 10:38 AM   #5
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm surprised to see that jlmail still existed. I thought it had closed permanently.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...ghlight=jlmail

In fact, the whole history of jlmail is interesting reading if one cares to search the archives.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2004, 12:12 PM   #6
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
Hey guys, I just had an idea come up today. If you liked the name JLmail.com, and would like to continue using that name, but just storing the mail at your own location then I will be happy to make you an alias.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Also, I could possibly forward you your emails as well.
jlnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:16 AM   #7
Largehotmail

Quote:
Originally posted by jlnt
Hey guys, I just had an idea come up today. If you liked the name JLmail.com, and would like to continue using that name, but just storing the mail at your own location then I will be happy to make you an alias.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Also, I could possibly forward you your emails as well.
What do you mean by "you an alias"?

Ernie
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:51 AM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by Largehotmail
What do you mean by "you an alias"?

Ernie
As an administrator yourself, you should know what an alias is. An alias in email term is an account that only does forwarding and nothing else. This is also know as alias.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 11:18 AM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
As an administrator yourself, you should know what an alias is. An alias in email term is an account that only does forwarding and nothing else. This is also know as alias.
I suspect Ernie knows what an email alias is. But I also found Jeremy's statement a little confusing, since he adds at the end, "Also, I could possibly forward you your emails as well", almost as an afterthought, after already offering the use of the jlmail name as an alias. But without any mail service actually available at jlmail, how else could a jlmail alias be used except by forwarding? In other words, the way he explained, or phrased it, is somewhat confusing.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
I suspect Ernie knows what an email alias is. But I also found Jeremy's statement a little confusing, since he adds at the end, "Also, I could possibly forward you your emails as well", almost as an afterthought, after already offering the use of the jlmail name as an alias. But without any mail service actually available at jlmail, how else could a jlmail alias be used except by forwarding? In other words, the way he explained, or phrased it, is somewhat confusing.
Jeremy's last sentence could probably be refering to non-email experts. Instead of normal users not able to understand, that last sentence probably is there to let them know it simple. I wouldn't be suprised if some newbies or ordinary users ask the question but the question coming from an administrator is worrying.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 11:30 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
Jeremy's last sentence could probably be refering to non-email experts. Instead of normal users not able to understand, that last sentence probably is there to let them know it simple. I wouldn't be suprised if some newbies or ordinary users ask the question but the question coming from an administrator is worrying.
Any way you look at it, the way Jeremy phrased it was confusing, if nothing else it was needlessly, even somewhat "clumsily", redundant, and I think it was obvious that Ernie was just asking for better clarification. You don't really think Ernie doesn't know what an alias is, do you? I really don't think you have anything to "worry" about.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:58 PM   #12
CyberSmurf

Doesn't hurt to clarify.

I've heard the term "alias" with reference to forwarding before, my family-name .net includes "aliases".

But the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "alias" is an alternate e-mail address for an account, such as providers like alinto.com, fateback.com, freezone.co.uk, gmx, humour.com, i12.com, & Telus (a Canadian ISP) allow.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 10:17 PM   #13
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
Doesn't hurt to clarify.

I've heard the term "alias" with reference to forwarding before, my family-name .net includes "aliases".

But the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "alias" is an alternate e-mail address for an account, such as providers like alinto.com, fateback.com, freezone.co.uk, gmx, humour.com, i12.com, & Telus (a Canadian ISP) allow.
I agree that the term "alias" doesn't automatically bring to mind "forwarding" for me, but rather I tend to first think of just an alternate name for a mailbox. That's why I think it's somewhat confusing that Jeremy offered "aliases" even without any longer offering mailboxes with a "primary" name, never mind an alternate one, and only as sort of an "afterthought" offers forwarding.

But although I still can't say I know for certain myself exactly what he meant in offering to "make you an alias", on second thought (or possibly third or fourth thought by now), I'm thinking that by his offer to "possibly forward you your emails as well", he may have been offering to forward users' existing emails to a different address? It seems like the more times I read the post, the more alternate interpretations I see.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 10:49 PM   #14
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
[...] on [nth] thought [...], I'm thinking that by his offer to "possibly forward you your emails as well", he may have been offering to forward users' existing emails to a different address?
That was my first thought...

I can find another interpretation: in addition to setting up an alias @jlmail.com that forwards to someone's address elsewhere, he can also forward email addressed to one's own domain.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:31 AM   #15
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S
That was my first thought...

I can find another interpretation: in addition to setting up an alias @jlmail.com that forwards to someone's address elsewhere, he can also forward email addressed to one's own domain.
Then I guess I'm not the only one to find his post somewhat ambiguous. At least it's good to know I'm not the only crazy one around here.

Er....um...I mean.....