EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: What is your Favorite Web Browser
Internet Explorer 7 25.93%
Mozilla 4 14.81%
Opera 4 14.81%
Other 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:06 AM   #31
curious
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
I have a popup blocker, but it keeps saying that these popups come from GAIN software on my computer. So, I deleted that software...but the popups still come back. I don't have any software related to these popups anywhere on my machine, but they won't...go...away.
Sounds like you still have some spyware on your computer. If you're up to putting more effort into removing it, you might try Spybot. Or you could hassle Gator until they help you get it off your machine. According to their FAQ, Gator support should help you uninstall the beast.

(and yes, Opera is a very nice browser. Too bad it doesn't work with my cookie manager (CookiePal).)
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:34 AM   #32
Gankaku

I FINALLY got Avant Browser downloaded today. My ISP cannot reach the site either...so it's not just me. Anyway they sent me a different way to reach the site and I was able to get there and d/l.

It looks good so far. This roboform thing is getting annoying and will take a little getting used to, but I can see how it can be handy.

The first thing I noticed that I LOVED is that both my Favorites and my Links span THREE columns! YAY. No scrolling forever and ever just to get to a folder or link at the end of the list.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:55 AM   #33
Raymond

you can disable the Roboform if you don't want to use it.

The cool thing about Avant is that you get all this features that you would other wise have to download seperately to enhance IE...

If you like IE you will love Avant.

-Raymond

Last edited by Raymond : 2 Jul 2003 at 10:55 AM.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:18 AM   #34
psalzer

Even if you're not too crazy about IE you might like Avant. I like Roboform a lot. Password management is something I really need and it has to be for mutiple users of some sites. That's one of the things I like so much about Mozilla/Firebird browsers. People have recommended Roboform to me before, right here on this forum, but I never got around to checking it out.

Lisa, you can make Roboform sit there quietly until you ask it to do something. That's what I finally did because the popping up did get annoying, but you can change all that in options. Now I just tell it to Save if I want to do that, or Fill and Submit without asking, if that's what I want it to do.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:40 AM   #35
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond
you can disable the Roboform if you don't want to use it.

The cool thing about Avant is that it has all this features that you have to download...sometimes even pay to enhance IE...

If you like IE you will love Avant.

-Raymond
Like what, Raymond? What are the cool downloadable things you like about Avant?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:41 AM   #36
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
Lisa, you can make Roboform sit there quietly until you ask it to do something. That's what I finally did because the popping up did get annoying, but you can change all that in options. Now I just tell it to Save if I want to do that, or Fill and Submit without asking, if that's what I want it to do.
Pat, ok I will do that. I think I'll use this browser exclusively for a few days to get to know it. There are alot of options on it.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:57 AM   #37
Raymond

Gankaku,

Sorry i said that completely wrong,and it made no since. i have edited what i said to express what i really meant to say.

what i fool i am...I SUCK.

-Raymond
Old 2 Jul 2003, 11:09 AM   #38
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I use Firebird, Slim, and MyIE. Whatever I cannot do with Firebird I can do with the others and all three have terrific features and are very configurable. And, most importantly, the pop-up blockers in each works excellently.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:15 PM   #39
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond
Gankaku,

Sorry i said that completely wrong,and it made no since. i have edited what i said to express what i really meant to say.

what i fool i am...I SUCK.

-Raymond
Raymond, you don't SUCK. I was thinking I read it wrong. Anyway I see what you mean now.

OK question: yesterday I installed Google's toolbar beta (in IE). It's SUPER! I really like the Google toolbar as it is from Google.

With Avant I read that I could get the Google toolbar. However, I see that Avant says on one point on its "What's New" upgrades and enhancements page:

*Hide Google and Yahoo toolbar for Win9x/ME for compatibility reason.

So does this mean they couldn't get the Google toolbar to work as Google means it to work? I use Win98 right now. I have a search bar that uses Google in Avant, but it's just not my Google toolbar and doesn't have all the features.

I guess this means what I read that it means, I just wanted to check here. I can't check Avant's forums, because though I can get to the page through an ip address, I still can't reach their forum page without dialing in through Netzero/Juno.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 01:21 PM   #40
Raymond

Gankaku,

I went to the forums and it looks like that the google toolbar might not work with a win9x/ME machine...but from one avant forum member said the yahoo bar works.

But what i noticed is that you don't need the google toolbar with the latests verison 8.02 build 001, because you can easily use the "search bar" which uses google, and has and the basic google toolbar features, it acts just like the toolbar.

So if you want try it out, on your machine, if you are confident that you might be able to repair any unforseen complications.

-Raymond
Old 2 Jul 2003, 01:27 PM   #41
Raymond

Gankaku,

I found this on the Avant FAQ...

"What is the system requirements for Avant Browser?

You will need a Pentium 166 PC or higher, 16MB RAM or more. The operating system should be Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME or Windows XP. For Windows 95 systems, IE 5.5 or higher version should be installed. For Windows NT systems, Service Pack 6 and IE 5.5 should be installed, and IE 6.0 are recommended.

For ideal performance: a user should have at least Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 6.0 installed, and Windows 2000 installed if at all possible. For more information visit the forum.

Tested System:

AMD K6 400 / 64 Ram / Windows 95 / Internet Explorer 5.5

Pentium II 333 / 64M Ram / Windows NT + Service Pack 6 / Internet Explorer 4.01

Celeron 500 / 128 Ram / Windows 98 / Internet Explorer 5

Celeron 1.7G / 128 Ram / Windows 2000 / Internet Explorer 5.5

AMD K7 800 / 256 Ram / Windows XP Home Edition / Internet Explorer 6

Pentium-4 2.4G / 512 Ram / Windows XP Professinal + Service Pack 1 / Internet Explorer 6 SP1"

I hope it helps.

-Raymond
Old 2 Jul 2003, 08:47 PM   #42
gpdoyon

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
The first thing I noticed that I LOVED is that both my Favorites and my Links span THREE columns! YAY. No scrolling forever and ever just to get to a folder or link at the end of the list.
Hmmm.....where do you set the multi-coumn favourties? I couldn't find it.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:08 PM   #43
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon
Hmmm.....where do you set the multi-column favorites? I couldn't find it.
I think it does it automatically as soon as the list is full, it expands your favorites over more then one column. It appears that the Avant browser doesn't have the option to either scroll or have the expanded columns.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2003, 05:44 AM   #44
Gankaku

That must be it, because I didn't see anything about setting the scrolling. So add some more favorites and links and see what happens. :-D
Old 3 Jul 2003, 05:53 AM   #45
Raymond

You dont have to scroll if you go to the top of the window and select favorites.

but if you select the little star icon, for favorites which then opens up a small window on the left hand side, then you have to scroll down to select your favorites.