EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Nov 2001, 10:47 PM   #1
ambassador

Eudora SSL problems

does anyone know how to configure Eudora 5.1 so that the SSL works, I use the standard configuration will everyone, but this email does no accept the standard setting on POP 3, thanks in advance
ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Nov 2001, 03:42 AM   #2
ikxu

eudora

I have the same problem with eudora's pop and imap.
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2001, 04:31 AM   #3
neerav

Lightbulb

The following are instructions for the Mac version of Eudora. The initial menu ("Special") might be different in Windows.

You need to use the "required (but alternate port)" setting of SSL. To set this. Go to: Special->Settings->SSL. Choose the fastmail personality on the top right side. Then choose "required (but alternate port)" for each of pop, and imap. TLS for smtp DOES NOT WORK -- make you sure you choose "none".

The webmaster should have a screen shot and directions in the FAQ sometime soon (when I get around to sending it to him!)

--Neerav
neerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2001, 12:23 AM   #4
nikyboy

I am having problems trying to use POP with SSL with Eudora 5.1 for Windows ME. I have set the Eudora .INI file to use port 995 and set the options to use SSL(but alternate port) but I receive the following error:

SSL Negotiation failed: Certificate Bad: Destination Host Name does not match host name in certificate Cause (-6984)

Any suggestions?
nikyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2001, 12:28 AM   #5
nikyboy

Sorry, I wasn't adjusting the correct setting in the Eudora .INI file (AlternatePOPPort). I'll pay closer attention to the help files in the future!!
Old 14 Nov 2001, 12:38 AM   #6
nikyboy

Me again!. Ref: 2 posts above: I still receive this error message after changing the correct parameter in the .INI Eudora file:

SSL Negotiation failed: Certificate Bad: Destination Host Name does not match host name in certificate Cause (-6984)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by nikyboy : 14 Nov 2001 at 12:40 AM.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 01:00 AM   #7
nikyboy

Again. I apologise. I've just checked the Fastmail FAQ's again and found the answer to my problem. I swear this FAQ wasn't there before!!
Old 14 Nov 2001, 03:59 PM   #8
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

That's possible, Nikyboy--Rob's been working on the FAQ over the last few days a bit.

For the record, the answer that Nikyboy found in the FAQ (I assume) is that you have to use 'www.fastmail.fm' as the server name to avoid this error. Just 'fastmail.fm' won't work correctly.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2001, 01:38 AM   #9
jennifrance

Question questions

Hi, This is my first post & I registered for FastMail one day ago. After lots of reading of FAQs & posts & experimenting, I still don't have Eudora/FastMail functioning properly.

I use ME & Eudora 5.1.

QUESTIONS
1. Current experience: error - "IMAP command failed". But then it proceeded to download my IN box from FM. Does this mean that IMAP isn't functioning? If so, what activity is not occurring? I'm usng IMAP 'on faith' from FM because it's supposed to be better than POP.

2. I also received this message: "The mailbox list for the IMAP account 'jslfm' is not up to date. would you like to refresh it now?" What does this mean?

3. Is there a way to upload Eudora address book into FastMail?

4. This is probably a Eudora-specific question: I now seem to have FastMail as my Dominant Personality and as an alternate Personality? When does a new e-mail become Dominant & when does it get set up as an alternate?

5. Is there a way to use FastMail & save info on the hard drive without an e-mail server like Eudora or OE?

COMMENTS

1. Per a recent comment from Jeremy, I added www. to both server setups.

2. The Eudora setup instructions in the FAQ are confusing, because the screens & instructions are for Mac- -- & nothing is identified as such. It took me awhile & a fair amount of slowdown to realize that the handwriting style font wasn't a font style but Macintosh style!

So far so good with FastMail. Thanks for all help & ideas. I know this is a lengthy message. Hope it's not too lengthy to plow through.
jennifrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2001, 06:21 AM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Jenni, I've just added Eudora for Win screen shots: https://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/imap-eudorawin.html

Let me know if these answer any of your questions.

3: I am not aware of any way to upload the Eudora address book into FastMail.FM. If there are any Perl programmers who use Eudora please contact webmasterATfastmailDOTfm and I'll give you the details so you can add a Eudora importer to the upload screen.

5: To back up messages using the web, click 'Folders' and then 'Purge'. You will be given the option on the Purge screen to have FastMail.FM compress messages according to criteria you specify and have them downloaded in a single file to your computer.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 02:03 AM   #11
jennifrance

Eudora quirks for fastmail

Hi,
Thanks for the screen shots, Jeremy. They helped. I seem to have only one (I hope) challenge left. I now 2 Inboxes: 'just plain' Inbox & one marked Inbox (dominant); dominant referring to the main Personality/address in Eudora. My Outbox & Trash aren't affected by these 2 Inboxes.

The dominant Inbox contains all new mail since my Eudora setup. The 'jp' Inbox contains all previous received mail.

So, my 1st & 2nd questions are: how did this happen & how do I fix it.

I don't seem to be able to delete any of these messages. If I try instead to do transfer/trash, the message either doesn't move, copies itself into Trash and/or crashes Eudora with an exception error.

Somewhere along the line during my Eudora/Fastmail setup, Eudora wanted to update my Inbox Table of Contents & I authorized that. Then, as I was working with the delete function, it asked to update my Trash TOC & again I authorized it, but that hasn't seemed to fix anything.

Any ideas? Perhaps this is more of a Eudora question than a Fastmail question. Sorry if I've gone on too long; found it difficult to articulate the problem. Thanks everybody
jennifrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2001, 01:04 PM   #12
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix

Maybe this will help... I have similar issues...

When I do not specify anything for the IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix I get the other folders as subfolders of Inbox:

+Inbox
- Drafts
- Sent
- Trash

When specify "inbox" for the IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix I get the other folders as subfolders of Inbox, and the other folders as subfolders of the root account:

-Inbox
| - Drafts
| - Sent
| - Trash
- Drafts
- Sent
- Trash
Neither of these is right. I'm not sure if there should be a ".." or a" \" or something along with "inbox" in that IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix box on the Accounts Settings.

I have found the first (one set of folders) preferable to the second, so I'm leaving "inbox" out of the IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix for now.

Hopefully someone tells us what's up. I solved the certificate issue by using "www.fastmail.com", and solved the secure sockets issue by selecting "Reqired, Alternate Port".
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2001, 01:14 PM   #13
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Sounds like Eudora is misbehaving. With 'Inbox' as the root folder, you should see everything on the top level, and only on the top level.

Do you have the most recent update to Eudora? Try contacting Qualcomm support and ask them if they know a fix. The main thing you'll need to say is "I am trying to use Eudora IMAP with a Cyrus IMAP server, which uses a root folder of 'Inbox' and a delimiter of '.' " And then copy your explanation of the display problem you describe below.

Is anyone else using Eudora IMAP with FastMail.FM? Are you experiencing this problem when setting the root folder path?
Old 29 Nov 2001, 03:37 PM   #14
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

I would guess that Eudora is misbehaving as well, but it doesn't do that with my MailAndNews IMAP account.

Of course, that account doesn't have Inbox as a root folder.

Eudora always has some sort of problem, but it has been well behaved as of late.

Netscape Messenger 6.2 also puts the rest of the folders as subfolders on inbox, regardless of whether I use "inbox" as the root folder or not. It doesn't do the double folder bit...

The only other IMAP account I've ever had was back at Purdue University. They had "inbox" as the root folder as well. Recent versions of Eudora never had any problems similar to this.

I haven't been a student at Purdue for a while... and I really missed IMAP...
Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:04 PM   #15
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

I should also note that I just tested Outlook Express, and found it to work "correctly".

subfolders when "inbox" is not specified as the root folder

all folders on the same level when "inbox" is specified as the root folder.

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the client. I'm not planning on bothering with Eudora tech support though... I'll just find another client.

Time to try out Pegasus Mail 4...