EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:23 PM   #1
Gankaku

Question What Personal Firewall Do You Use?

Based on this thread, I was wondering what personal firewall everyone uses?

I use Zone Alarm currently. I like to test out lots of software to try, but haven't done this with my firewall because well, I want it to work all the time and don't want to screw things up by having different ones installed.

So what good things or problems have you seen with your firewall?

My experience with Zone Alarm: it was easy for me to set up, and it's easy to configure, I think. I've never had any break-ins as far as I know, although there've been some attempts. I turned off notification long ago, because I was getting so many popups that the firewall was blocking certain addresses.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:32 PM   #2
Raymond

I use BlackICE, this is one of the best firewalls that i'ved used (personal use)...Its blocked lots of attacks that i would have been oblivious to, and also blocked websites that we malicious, and it reports to you the DNS, IP, WINS,NETBios of the attacker plus more.

I also use the Norton Firewall with also the firewall that my router has.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:46 PM   #3
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I use 3 firewalls in total.

1) The one my router uses, no idea what it is, but it seems to be not very effective.
2) BlackIce Defender - Great firewall, I use this on my network-proxy server and my own PC. Extensive logging facilities, userfriendly and it's got the power I need.
3) Zonealarm - used on the other PC's in the network. Mostly because the users there don't care about security very much and want an easy-to-use system.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 12:50 AM   #4
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

I use the free version of Zonealarm. It works great on my PC and no complaints. But -and this is a big but- since they refuse to fix a security issue in the free version (as described in the thread Gankaku mentioned) I am on the lookout for a new free firewall, so I will be following this thread closely in hopes to find another simple but good firewall.

I found Avant browser because of this forum so I am sure somebody will come up with a good alternative

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 03:59 AM   #5
Gankaku

Well it sounds that BlackIce is worth a look. What about Outpost? Or Tiny Personal Firewall (is that it?) or Kerio's Firewall? Anyone use those?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:08 AM   #6
mammaduck

Since we got two users now that use Black Ice, maybe one of you can answer my simple question. Is the following statement true or false?

Zonealarm will stop everything going in and out. Black Ice won't stop anything going out.

Hanneke
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:17 AM   #7
Raymond

False, BlackIce checks every transaction that is going in and out of the machine...
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:41 AM   #8
mammaduck

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond
False, BlackIce checks every transaction that is going in and out of the machine...
According to this comparison of firewalls it does allow outbound traffic. (just click on the review under the chart).

I admit this review is from 2002 so it could have changed, but all the info I have been able to find so far is that is does allow outbound traffic. I'll keep digging and searching and see if I can find some more info on this.

Edit: from another review:
Quote:
Highly ineffective. Did not detect or attempt to stop Sub7 (Trojan Horse) connections.

Hanneke
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:57 AM   #9
Raymond

BlackICE has something called "Advanced Application Protection" which is used to block any application that is trying to access a network without your authorization.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 05:02 AM   #10
mammaduck

Thanks for the clarification Raymond.

Hanneke
Old 4 Jul 2003, 06:16 AM   #11
Si1

Here's a good alternative to Zone Alarm: Sygate Personal Firewall.
This version is free. It will notify you by email if there's an attack on your system. It's also easy to set up.
Si1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 06:24 AM   #12
dragon1

I use Zone Alarm Pro after using the free version for over a year.

They made me an offer I couldn't refuse: MailWasher Pro, PestPatrol, and ZA Pro for one price.

But I want to check out the statement in the article about yearly update fees for ZA Pro.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 08:09 AM   #13
anj
Master of the @

Any thoughts on McAfee Firewall?

Here in California, it is on July4 sale at CompUSA for $30 - $20 Mfr Mail In Rebate - $10 Mfr. Upgrade Mail-In Rebate = $10 (or free if you have previous license).
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 09:42 AM   #14
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Although I prefer the "user-friendly" zonealarm but somehow it will crash my XP despite numerous reinstallations. Now I am using Outpost Firewall. It also got banner blockers and DNS cache.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:02 PM   #15
Jessm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Any thoughts on McAfee Firewall?

Here in California, it is on July4 sale at CompUSA for $30 - $20 Mfr Mail In Rebate - $10 Mfr. Upgrade Mail-In Rebate = $10 (or free if you have previous license).
Every time I tried to use McAfee, when it came installed in my new systems, has been troublesome. It conflicted with many programs, it wasn't stable, and it slowed down the system. I use ZA and no problems so far.
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote