EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25 Jun 2019, 03:45 PM   #1
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 53
Thanks for breaking alias search

I use alias emails for everything. One for every company, I often disable them to stop spam & re-enable before placing an order or if I phoned and need a response. It was quick & easy, it worked.

Before today, I'd go to aliases & type a bit of the company's name in the search box. I contain the company name within the email address so it is easy to identify. It cannot be at the beginning because it can cause problems sending an email from [email protected] to [email protected]

So I give each alias prefix before a bit of the company name so it would be [email protected].
I could search the alias list in a second have the correct email address by typing in welches. I can see if it is enabled or not & change it if needed. Easy Peasy

Until Fastmail ruined it. Search is now broken.
Searching for Welches shows no matches & the word none appears in the Alias section. If I search for anything that isn't the start of the email address it can no longer recognise it. So if I search for trees I get the entire alias list.

~ Alias search broken by the update
~ Demanding a password to change alias settings (which I do every day) is a major pain & utterly pointless. This is about as sensible as making us give a password to change the background
For me this has turned using my email into a bloody nightmare

Last edited by ferrety : 25 Jun 2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2019, 08:50 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 127
I see what you mean! I also use multiple aliases but mine are of a different form, eg

[email protected]

and I find that the search will find things if it looks for some or all of any of the individual parts of that, so for example

p or pz
d or df
q or qa
w or wo or wor or word
2 or 27 or 278 or 2784

etc will all narrow down the display in a useful way, but search will not find anything if I type in eg d.2 or as you found, 84


Here, all my aliases are listed in alphabetical order so it's not impossible to find things. And (Firefox's) Edit -> Find will also find substrings of alias names.


I hope you're going to raise a ticket with FM and let them know about this. Posting it here is no use...

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 25 Jun 2019 at 08:59 PM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 12:04 AM   #3
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I see what you mean! I also use multiple aliases but mine are of a different form, eg

[email protected]

and I find that the search will find things if it looks for some or all of any of the individual parts of that, so for example

p or pz
d or df
q or qa
w or wo or wor or word
2 or 27 or 278 or 2784

etc will all narrow down the display in a useful way, but search will not find anything if I type in eg d.2 or as you found, 84


Here, all my aliases are listed in alphabetical order so it's not impossible to find things. And (Firefox's) Edit -> Find will also find substrings of alias names.


I hope you're going to raise a ticket with FM and let them know about this. Posting it here is no use...
I'm using Vivaldi's (a browser) find function. Really annoyed that I have to password in each time
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 01:16 AM   #4
solenoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
I'm using Vivaldi's (a browser) find function. Really annoyed that I have to password in each time
So you opened a ticket?
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 03:27 AM   #5
Grhm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 179
If you have your own domain and you have a wildcard set up, you can invent identities on the fly without having to use aliases at all.
Provided you keep a record of them somewhere searchable, such as a simple text file, that's all that's needed, I have found.
If you start getting spam at a particular address, just block mail to that address.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 07:05 AM   #6
solenoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Not to mention the fact that FastMail has always said to allow up to fifteen minutes to allow any changes regarding an alias to take effect. The OP's method appears to be questionable in the first place.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Grhm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 179
I don't agree that there is anything questionable about the OP's system.
It used to work perfectly, but now, suddenly, with no warning and for no good reason, it doesn't.
That is infuriating. He is right to be cross.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 03:22 AM   #8
solenoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
The OP was getting lucky—it really isn't practical to rely on a feature like that when it can have a lag time at 15 minutes.

Regardless, I want the password-protection feature for aliases. The ability to delete an entire subdomain from a web interface without confirmation via password is, arguably, dangerous. Saying it is "utterly pointless" is just hyperbole.

I swear, some people just like to be sarcastic, complain, and assume someone doesn't care about them, rather than attempt to approach the other party in a calm, adult-like manner. This is why Fastmail staff have stopped regularly reading this forum. This.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2019, 05:03 PM   #9
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solenoid View Post
The OP was getting lucky—it really isn't practical to rely on a feature like that when it can have a lag time at 15 minutes.

Regardless, I want the password-protection feature for aliases. The ability to delete an entire subdomain from a web interface without confirmation via password is, arguably, dangerous. Saying it is "utterly pointless" is just hyperbole.

I swear, some people just like to be sarcastic, complain, and assume someone doesn't care about them, rather than attempt to approach the other party in a calm, adult-like manner. This is why Fastmail staff have stopped regularly reading this forum. This.
Your contribution to this thread has been to make derogatory comments about me. Because horrifyingly, I object to the search function being broken. And am not a fan of the changes. How dare I hold a different view to you. You have written 7 posts in 9 years & 3 of them are in this thread being rude to me. What's your alternate name on here? Looks like the kind of thing Bron would write.

Last edited by ferrety : 4 Jul 2019 at 05:08 PM.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2019, 06:01 PM   #10
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,829
Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 4 Jul 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2019, 04:12 PM   #11
solenoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
Your contribution to this thread has been to make derogatory comments about me. Because horrifyingly, I object to the search function being broken. And am not a fan of the changes. How dare I hold a different view to you. You have written 7 posts in 9 years & 3 of them are in this thread being rude to me. What's your alternate name on here? Looks like the kind of thing Bron would write.
Conspiracy theories aside, my contribution to this thread was that you were being a rude, sarcastic, presumptuous ingrate to Fastmail in the first place before they could even take any action regarding your query. That was what I was upbraiding you for. This probably does not dawn on you because you fail to acknowledge any of my actual points.

Thank you for the comprehensive recap of my posting history. Please update your records to note that it is now four posts in this thread.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 01:32 AM   #12
ReuvenNY
 Moderator 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 4,209
Moderator's Comment

Civility is number one on this forum!

Please no upbraiding, scolding or any other types of reprimanding!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 01:48 AM   #13
SideshowBob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
It cannot be at the beginning because it can cause problems sending an email from [email protected] to [email protected]
How does that cause a problem?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:46 AM   #14
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rupert, WV
Posts: 623
Quote:
If you have your own domain..
I do and set up addresses like this: [email protected].

- Bruce
http://emdpics.somdcomputerguy.com/
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:01 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,829
Thanks for the pic's...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 05:33 AM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy