EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 28 May 2020, 09:39 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

If you had to switch tomorrow...

If you had to switch your main email service tomorrow due to some catastrophic change or circumstance, who would you move to and why? The answer has to be another service you don't currently use as your day-to-day service. My main service is Gmail and I would switch to Outlook.com, and could do so pretty quickly. I already have an account there that receives some email, but just forwards to Gmail. I like that it is big enough to be stable and reliable, has good security, and the web interface is good. Also, the email app is good. In fact, I use them both for work. Price is right too--free! I happen to have I think 30GB of free OneDrive space that I can use for various things, and I could live with the online Office apps if I had to. Overall, Outlook.com offers a pretty good substitute for Gmail, if I had to move. How about you?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 May 2020, 10:52 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I have used google drive for 250TB, so nowhere I can switch to.
For email I use pobox/FM primarily, I can switch to TM/RB or yandex quickly.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 08:34 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Jeffpan, I suppose you could download the 250GB, or as I suspect you already have that data backed up on other devices or in other locations. I have about that much stored in Google Photos, and for me that is the big stumbling block if I wanted to move completely away from Google. Can't beat free storage of Photos!
Old 28 May 2020, 10:23 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Jeffpan, I suppose you could download the 250GB, or as I suspect you already have that data backed up on other devices or in other locations. I have about that much stored in Google Photos, and for me that is the big stumbling block if I wanted to move completely away from Google. Can't beat free storage of Photos!
Please double check my answer, it’s 250 TB.
Still increasing, I expect to 1 PB.
Only google can support this storage with a low end price.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:05 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Please double check my answer, it’s 250 TB.
Yes, you are locked in!
Old 29 May 2020, 01:39 AM   #6
ReuvenNY

Quote:
When it comes to photos, if you are Prime member with Amazon, they also offer free photo storage. Personally I have a paid service from Smugmug.com where for about $50 a year I can back up (store) an unlimited amount of photos and videos.
I prefer not to tie in email with storage (as a sole backup).
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:19 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

SmugMug would be an option, but it does cost more than free Google Photos. How good is the app at backing up from your phone? The worst hassle would be moving 250GB of photos from one service to another.
Old 29 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #8
ReuvenNY

Quote:
SmugMug would be an option, but it does cost more than free Google Photos. How good is the app at backing up from your phone? The worst hassle would be moving 250GB of photos from one service to another.
I set Smugmug to automatically back up every picture I take with my phone to a specific folder. I also have it backed up to my Google (free) account.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 08:39 AM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
For heaven's sake what are you storing?
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2020, 04:34 AM   #10
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Dumb question: TM? Who is that?
Also how is Yandex?
Thanks
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2020, 10:21 AM   #11
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
Dumb question: TM? Who is that?
Also how is Yandex?
Thanks
TuffMail
Yandex is slow for me.

thanks.
Old 7 Jun 2020, 05:20 AM   #12
Milgi

From ProtonMail to Tutanota.
Milgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2020, 01:36 PM   #13
Cory
Essential Contributor

I use my own domain so I could switch to any provider pretty easily.

I currently use Google Apps (grandfathered free edition)

If Google ends this service, I would switch to Polarismail, Fastmail, or MXRoute.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 02:36 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
When it comes to photos, if you are Prime member with Amazon, they also offer free photo storage. Personally I have a paid service from Smugmug.com where for about $50 a year I can back up (store) an unlimited amount of photos and videos.
I prefer not to tie in email with storage (as a sole backup).
I use Smugmug too, unlimited storage AND great fast support too! Despite that, I've considered Flickr. I believe they offer 1 TB for free, and they're now owned by Smugmug which gives them the stability they didn't have before. I also like the simple interface of Flickr. On the other hand, I doubt that you can sort your pictures the same way as in Smugmug proper, where you can sort all albums in folders and subfolders.
In the end I guess the main issue when having to choose, is which service combines reliability with visibility. Maybe due to being free and community-focused, Flickr will attract more visitors to your photo website? On the other hand, what is the future of Flickr with Smugmug now owning them?

I back up my photos on an external HD, and in a way Smugmug is an additional backup. I also prefer to keep email and storage/backups separated.

To answer the question in the opening post: I have two main accounts for day-to-day communication, Gmail and Outlook.com. So I guess I cannot say I'd switch from Gmail to Outlook or vice-versa.

So assuming both would suddenly become unavailable (highly unlikely) I guess I'd either go for Protonmail after a first satisfying experience with them, or give mail.be a try.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 07:55 AM   #15
Milgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
So assuming both would suddenly become unavailable (highly unlikely) I guess I'd either go for Protonmail after a first satisfying experience with them, or give mail.be a try.
Mail.be haven't been accepting new registrations for a while.
Milgi is offline   Reply With Quote