EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 5 Jan 2006, 02:25 AM   #31
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
In a somewhat related vein, I'm trying to remember what I did when my post count reached 666. I can't recally if I posted twice just to get to 667 or if I deliberately kept it at 666 just to see what people might say.
I think I hovered around 666 for awhile, too, just for the heck of it But I do remember that when I hit 11 posts, I waited until I found three threads to comment on, so I could go up to 14.
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2006, 04:52 AM   #32
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Is there any truth to the story I once heard, that Brazil got its name from the Irish legend of a land "far to the west" called Huy Braseal(sp?)?
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2006, 06:54 PM   #33
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Why do moths come out at night and hang around lights?

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2006, 01:40 AM   #34
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Is there any truth to the story I once heard, that Brazil got its name from the Irish legend of a land "far to the west" called Huy Braseal(sp?)?
The COED and Wikipedia both say it's named after the brazil tree that grew there, and was use for making red-dye. The word is Portuguese for ember.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 02:07 AM   #35
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Having recently watched my DVD of Educating Rita, I wonder:  Does Michael Caine's lines in the movies he does always include his catchphrase, "Not many people know that"?  I think this line was in Batman Begins as well...
Old 26 May 2006, 05:28 AM   #36
Chipper
Master of the @

Two questions: The phrase "phone it in"
1) Does this mean "to give a half hearted effort"?
2) Where does this phrase originate from?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2006, 04:42 PM   #37
Edwin
 Administrator 

Why do blatantly obvious things like packets of peanuts or walnuts often say "contains nuts" or (worse) "may contain nuts" on their packaging?

And a bonus: why does it seem that many, many more people have nut allergies these days? When I was a kid (not THAT long ago), I'd never even heard of anyone having problems eating nuts, now you hear horror stories all the time.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2006, 07:41 PM   #38
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
And a bonus: why does it seem that many, many more people have nut allergies these days? When I was a kid (not THAT long ago), I'd never even heard of anyone having problems eating nuts, now you hear horror stories all the time.
One hypothesis I've come across is that the incidence of young children being given nuts, and nut products such as peanut butter, is vastly increased from what it was only two or three decades ago; nuts contain some pretty complicated proteins, and if a child is young enough that its immune system is still in the learning stage, said immune system could mistake the nut protein for a virus and sensitise the body against it.

To add plausibility to this, it's said that only in Western cultures (where young children are allowed nut products) is there widespread incidence of nut allergy.
Old 28 May 2006, 05:41 AM   #39
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

It's also curious that peanuts trigger a "nut allergy" when they are actually a form of pea, and their only connection with nuts is the name. Is this some form of Nominative determinism?

What makes it odder is that you never hear of pea allergies.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 09:58 AM   #40
Rip Slagcheek

my only food allergies (not serious) are peas and peanuts - both are legumes. the roasting process in the US has been discussed as a possible reason for the high incidence of peanut allergies.
Rip Slagcheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 02:18 PM   #41
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Why do blatantly obvious things like packets of peanuts or walnuts often say "contains nuts" or (worse) "may contain nuts" on their packaging?

I reckon!! There was an ad on tv for the new Subway sub with peanut subway dressing - and at the bottom of the screen - may contain nuts!?

You'd reckon it'd be obvious huh!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 02:50 PM   #42
JeffK

As The Storm would know, it's pretty bad if you've got a peanut allergy where I live.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 04:34 PM   #43
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
As The Storm would know, it's pretty bad if you've got a peanut allergy where I live.

Jeff
Hehe true, I went thru kingaroy on route to the tropics bout ten years ago when I was 12. And I can still remember the massive peanut farms on the outskirts of town. And for some reason massive corn/cotton?? storage sheds/silo's as well.
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2006, 02:38 PM   #44
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Why is it that on this Dasani water bottle it says "Non-Carbonated". Show me a water bottle company that makes carbonated water O_O.

I also wonder - why does said water bottle have nutrition facts? Not only that, but the number of servings is 2, and there's 0 grams of everything there. Why would you number the servings to 2 in a water bottle? That's like slicing a nut in half and then giving someone both halves of the nut. Why do it?

It's like they exceeded federal regulations.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2006, 02:58 AM   #45
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
And a bonus: why does it seem that many, many more people have nut allergies these days?
The current issue (24 June 2006) of New Scientist has an interesting article on this very subject, though sadly reading the entire article requires a subscription...