EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Mar 2008, 07:02 AM   #16
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about this site.

I have had a domain registered with Moniker.com for awhile now. They are a good company to do business with, and seem very focused on their customers security measures.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldR View Post
There is also the option of finding a TLD whose letters match the last few of your name. It has the potential to confuse people. Instead of emailing joe AT balderda.sh, they write balderdash.com
Is this your experience? I have a lastname.us domain/address and have never ever had problems. As long as you emphasize to people the domain most people seem to get it.

I wish we could give you something more helpful, no_basho...the .me would be great, wouldn't it? I snagged mylastname.us when I realized I wanted it. The .com was taken by another with my last name, even though my last name is very very uncommon. (I do check it from time to time to see if it's coming up for renewal. haha)
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Is this your experience? I have a lastname.us domain/address and have never ever had problems. As long as you emphasize to people the domain most people seem to get it.
I wish we could give you something more helpful, no_basho...the .me would be great, wouldn't it? I snagged mylastname.us when I realized I wanted it. The .com was taken by another with my last name, even though my last name is very very uncommon. (I do check it from time to time to see if it's coming up for renewal. haha)
Gankaku, let me ask: I just recently registered a .us domain with a portion of my name. I subsequently realized that the "Whois" privacy protection is not available in the .us domain.

I realize this may drift OT, but what can be done to protect my private registry information with the domain registrar???
Old 1 Mar 2008, 09:55 PM   #19
MarkD

Back in 1999, I wanted to register mysurname.com and although it is an extremely rare name, it was already taken. So I went with mysurname.net instead.

The domain mysurname.com expired in mid February and it seems that it has not been renewed. I believe the registrar, Network Solutions, have a 60 to 90 day grace period before an expired domain is deleted and becomes available to register again.

Hopefully it stays available and we can finally grab it - nearly 10 years later!
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2008, 10:08 PM   #20
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Gankaku, let me ask: I just recently registered a .us domain with a portion of my name. I subsequently realized that the "Whois" privacy protection is not available in the .us domain.

I realize this may drift OT, but what can be done to protect my private registry information with the domain registrar???
There are really only a couple of options:

1. Register the domain in the name of a company, if you own one.

2. Register it in your own name, but use a P.O. box for the address and get a forwarding number (like GrandCentral) for the phone.

As I understand it, those are the only options. Under ICANN rules, use of a false name, address and/or phone is considered a violation and can get your domain revoked.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2008, 10:26 PM   #21
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
There are really only a couple of options:
1. Register the domain in the name of a company, if you own one.
2. Register it in your own name, but use a P.O. box for the address and get a forwarding number (like GrandCentral) for the phone.
As I understand it, those are the only options. Under ICANN rules, use of a false name, address and/or phone is considered a violation and can get your domain revoked.
Thanks for that information,Lawrence!

Is it an option to use my work phone number and work address?
I really don't mind that I use my real name, as it is the domain name anyway

Also, is there a reason that .us isn't covered by the whois privacy option,
but most of the other domains (.com, .net, etc.) are?
Old 1 Mar 2008, 10:29 PM   #22
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Gankaku,

I recall a few times (maybe the same person several times) someone being confused by an uncommon top level domain. Instead of "na.sh", the email tried to go to nash.com. This was after they had sent some successfully, but were using someone else's computer. I only found out because they emailed a mutual friend when it failed. I wonder how many have failed without any hint to me of the problem.

BTW my last name is not Nash.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 06:03 AM   #23
Shelded

It's not worth much money to get your name. I have my surname.net since I missed the .com. I thought certain things when I bought it:
1. it would be good for a future business site.
2. it would be a memorable email address for anyone who remembers my name.
3. it would be cool, a vanity domain
4. I would share the domain with my extended family so they would not have to buy a domain.
5. it would be a lifetime address for us all

These things are partly true.
1. You don't wanna run your business on your surname site because you may sell the business or you may not want all your family stuff running on that same site (photos, children's blogs, etc.).
2. It really isn't memorable. It's so unimportant to everyone they never get the connection. They just put it in their address book and never notice it.
3. It's so cool that nobody but a geek gets it, and they are not impressed because they know how simple it is.
4. This is absolutely the largest source of spam -- my family doesn't understand that this address isn't like the AOL screen names you toss aside every 6 months. They subscribed to all manner of idiotic things, and when the spam became too much for them they went back to some other address. This left me with permanent effects to my catch-all address scheme -- I have to block brother's name and all weird variants of it too. My bandwidth is consumed rejecting all this stuff. They didn't even bother to unsubscribe from the legitimate subscriptions, it all keeps coming.
5. It is a lifetime address for me, since I have a good spam control methods. My niece is getting married, and will hyphenate or replace her name, so it won't work for her anymore. My mom wants a cutesy address instead of her name. My nephew created so much spam we had to retire his name.

Instead I recommend:
* Get your own domain. Don't share it with the family (maybe your wife OK).
* It should be .com and nothing else unless you're outside the US.
* Keep the name short. I can still find good 6-character ones without dashes whenever I try.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 06:49 AM   #24
Aimlink
Master of the @

Shelded,
A nice post there. I enjoyed it and after a few years of owning a domain with my name, I now share a lot of your expressed sentiments and opinion.

I no longer use the domain name with my name in it. I'm now more concerned with security and nowadays, long after the fun and novelty of having a domain name with my name faded away, I now wish that my name not be advertised. It's better to use a domain that gives away the name of your business. If your business changes, then it's time to get a new domain and not renew the old one.

The coolness of your name in your domain name is only in the eyes of the owner. The positive responses I've gotten out of it have been transient at best.

I now have a domain that's unique, does not contain my name, has meaning for me and is one which I want to have permanently for personal and other non-business related uses. The domains owner information is also ID Protected.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 08:49 AM   #25
Shelded

I pay $8.50 for my domain and it's worth it -- everyone should do that for the spam reduction alone. But it's unimportant for it to be my surname. I really hope OP doesn't pay $500 to buy his and then pay $100/year to host it.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 07:43 PM   #26
no_basho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
I pay $8.50 for my domain and it's worth it -- everyone should do that for the spam reduction alone. But it's unimportant for it to be my surname. I really hope OP doesn't pay $500 to buy his and then pay $100/year to host it.
This has been a very interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone's input.

Shelded: I have no intention of forking over $500 for my lastname domain and then paying $100/yr to host it. I'm far too frugal for that and am content to stick with using my firstnamelastname.com domain for personal email. I would prefer to have a firstname@lastname.com-style address--again, I would simply like to make things easy for family and friends, and there's a simplicity to this sort of address that I find appealing--but I will rest easy at night should this not happen.

Again, though, I appreciate you relaying your own experiences. This thread has proven very helpful for me.
no_basho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2008, 09:44 PM   #27
MarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
I no longer use the domain name with my name in it. I'm now more concerned with security and nowadays, long after the fun and novelty of having a domain name with my name faded away, I now wish that my name not be advertised.
I sort of half agree. I don't always want to give out me@mysurname.net. Because of this I have another domain also.

So in short, I use:

me@mysurname.net for personal mail (close friends and family) and other family members also use this domain for their own email addresses.

xx@myotherdomain.com for more general use

xx@myalias.fastmail.fm for questionable spam risk signups etc (I have more than 1 alias)

This setup along with Fastmails spam protection and filters (i.e. the defined rules), work really well for me.

Anyhow, so I still like having me@mysurname.net and am crossing fingers that the newly expired mysurname.com is available for me to register soon (C'mon Netowrk Solutions what are you waiting for - release it already!)
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2008, 12:57 AM   #28
Shelded

I agree with MarkD's method. For economy and clarity I might exchange the general use one for anotheralias@mysurname.net or myalias2@fastmail.fm but the ideas of three levels of addressing and of limited exposure to your surname are right on the money.

Consider what happens when your fatherinlaw thinks it would be great to have a family reunion and sends your address to literally everyone in his addressbook. Mine does, and does it each year. So among that group I hope there's not a spammer or a person who has a bot-infected computer. FWIW I asked him to instead use anotheralias@mysurname.net