EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Dec 2001, 05:10 AM   #1
fmtico

How Can We Tell How Much K We Have Used?

As I am transferring a ton of email from Visto to FastMail.FM, I went to the folders to see if I could tell how much K worth of email I have transferred. I could not find an indicator of how much K (or Mb) of data I have moved. Where do I find this?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I am a new guy.
fmtico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Dec 2001, 05:24 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Currently this is not shown. It will be shortly. If you go over 80% of quota (quota is currently 100MB) you will get a warning email. If you use IMAP, you will get a warning alert box pop up as soon as you get to 80% of quota.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2001, 01:10 AM   #3
fmtico

That is good news....

Jeremy--

I am glad that you will be adding that. I must say that I am very much enjoying this service so far. You were not joking when you named it 'FastMail'. This is about the least hesitation in login that I have seen in any service. And it is easy to use, fairly idiot-proof, which is important in my case.

All my best....
Old 18 Dec 2001, 10:51 PM   #4
fmtico

Need a clarification

You said that the upper limit is 100K. I thought that was only for paying subcribers; that the limit for the free service is 10K. I am in it for the free service only. Please advise if the limit is 10K for people in my category.
Old 19 Dec 2001, 01:07 AM   #5
odedp
Master of the @

fmtico,
Jeremy said "quota ia CURRENTLY 100MB"....
It will be so for the next few months.
Goto http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/about.html and read all details.
Oded
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2001, 01:49 AM   #6
fmtico

I know that.....

I already read that document before I posted my question. The way I read this, a Guest account has a limit of 10Mb, but the current limit is 100Mb.

I read that to mean that, for the time being, you can go over 10Mb and up to 100Mb for the next few months. However, once the introductory grace period is over, either you will have to go back under 10Mb on your account or start forking over the $$$ for more Mb capacity. OK, am I right or wrong?

My read is also that the Guest level of membership is going to continue forever and that those with accounts under 10Mb will be able to keep them on a free basis for as long as Jeremy is still alive. OK?

I am interesting in Guest level only because:

-I just don't want to pay for a service that is still free at a zillion other email services listed at www.emailaddresses.com

-I have absolutely no need for all those spiffy, wiz-bang options that other people are indulging in. I don't need an email service that does scheduling, calculating, contacts the Global Positioning System, can find Osama Bin Laden, does my taxes, makes love to my girlfriend, etc. I don't give jack squat about that. I just want a place to store my email, period.
Old 19 Dec 2001, 05:58 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Re: I know that.....

Quote:
Originally posted by fmtico
I read that to mean that, for the time being, you can go over 10Mb and up to 100Mb for the next few months. However, once the introductory grace period is over, either you will have to go back under 10Mb on your account or start forking over the $$$ for more Mb capacity. OK, am I right or wrong?

My read is also that the Guest level of membership is going to continue forever and that those with accounts under 10Mb will be able to keep them on a free basis for as long as Jeremy is still alive. OK?
Right on both counts. Well, obviously I can't guarantee that the service will even exist as long as I'm still alive! But we certainly plan to maintain free guest accounts at 10MB.

Quote:
-I just don't want to pay for a service that is still free at a zillion other email services listed at www.emailaddresses.com
We're not really trying to just provide another email service. Hopefully FastMail.FM saves you enough time each day because it's reliable, responds quickly, and is accessible from everywhere you go, that you might decide it's worth a one-time charge of under 10 bucks to become a member and support us. If not, that's cool, you still get a guest account that is better than pretty much anything out there...

Quote:
-I have absolutely no need for all those spiffy, wiz-bang options that other people are indulging in. I don't need an email service that does scheduling, calculating, contacts the Global Positioning System, can find Osama Bin Laden, does my taxes, makes love to my girlfriend, etc. I don't give jack squat about that. I just want a place to store my email, period.
...But have you discussed that with your girlfriend?
Old 19 Dec 2001, 06:11 AM   #8
fmtico

OK, this sounds great....

>...But have you discussed that with your girlfriend?

Yes, and she is demanding payment, so I am in trouble!!!
Old 20 Dec 2001, 02:03 AM   #9
spruce

Question Local message storage or backup & IMAP

I am just trying out your IMAP service and am used to POP. With POP, if i save alot of messages, I can just buy more hard drive. In IMAP, is there a way to mark a message to be archived locally, to the main machine I want to store email on, while keeping the important/recent emails I want available from anywhere on the IMAP server? What methods do other people use for message backup? Knowledge of this should reduce the general amount of messages users tend to store online, and help with any usage limit problems, so I think you'd like this on the forum very much.
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2001, 04:41 AM   #10
dartsmaster

The archive method I use is to simply highlight and drag the messages from the FastMail inbox to the local folders inbox in OE6. This marks the messages for deletion in FastMail, which can then be purged.
dartsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2001, 01:54 PM   #11
Shelded

Cool I like to drag LOTS of messages at once.

Or locate such messages in a folder structure that you periodically empty entirely onto your hard drive. No need to have them 'selected' in that case. Suit yourself.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2002, 02:15 PM   #12
raydunn

Ummmmm pardon me for asking but how DO you save your emails onto the hard drive directly from fastmail without using OE or Eudora etc.
Thanks.
Ray
raydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2002, 03:41 PM   #13
pobelly
Cornerstone of the Community

if you go to the 'folders' page from within the interface, there's a link near the top: 'purge old messages and/or archive folders...' which will take you to a page where you can download folders as .zip files... there may be other ways, but that's the one i know of.
pobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2002, 12:58 AM   #14
raydunn

Thanks pobelly, tried it but keep getting empty zip files no matter what i try to do. Guess I'll just do it the hard way lol, copy an paste.

Ray
raydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2002, 07:32 AM   #15
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Yeah, it's not working for me either. I'll ask Rob to look into it--looks like something's going wrong there...