EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Mar 2003, 02:15 PM   #1
mandy

Why Have The Colors Changed??

When I logged in just now, I saw my box was no longer green on green (jolly green), it was aqua on green + was a horrible clash (really hideous)! I went into the newest fastmail letter hoping to find an explanation but there was no mention of it. What's happened? I loved my color scheme, now it offended my eyes. I changed it to a nice blue but
miss my green!
mandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Mar 2003, 03:50 PM   #2
petergh
Master of the @

Which stylesheet are you using?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2003, 08:29 PM   #3
psalzer

Jolly Green is in parenthesis so I'd guess that's the one. I just switched to it to check and it's green on green for me. No aqua. If you haven't changed computers, color settings or your video card, I'd try rebooting and see what you get.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2003, 02:22 PM   #4
mandy

I haven't changed anything at all. Altho I think rebooting is turning off + then on a computer, I doubt that doing that with my Webtv would matter one iota. The colors were fine for the whole time I've had this e-addy + all of a sudden yesterday they were changed. This is nothing I've done. All I ever do there is read my email. I can't understand why, all of a sudden, the colors are different....it doesn't make sense! I really liked my Jolly Green when it was truly green but that new aqua on green is absolutely hideous! Someone must've changed something that affects Webtvers. Are there any other WTVers on this board? If there are, could you help me out + try the Jolly Green + see if you get what I get...aqua on green (aqua lettering on green bkgd....shutter, shutter!!)??
Old 16 Mar 2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by mandy
If there are, could you help me out + try the Jolly Green + see if you get what I get...aqua on green (aqua lettering on green bkgd....shutter, shutter!!)??
I'm not a WebTV user but thought I'd ask how the colors look on your TV. Could they be off a little?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2003, 11:40 PM   #6
Gankaku

I just received a message from someone who has been using my Provence stylesheet since it became available. The extreme dark purple (eggplant color) links have just recently become light blue for him. However I tested Provence on my machine and it worked fine. So something weird has changed for some users. Here's part of the message I received about the sheet:

Quote:
Dear Lisa:

I have a brief question for you. I use the Provence style sheet. On my FastMail Inbox screen, all the hyperlinks, except those at the top of the screen, are LIGHT blue. These links include the senders of the emails listed, the subjects of the emails, the tool-tip question marks, etc. Until several days ago, all of these hyperlinks were DARK blue (or is it black?), the color of the dates and times on the Inbox screen. What color blue are these hyperlinks on your computer? I should add that I have used the Provence style sheet ever since it became available and that this change in color had not occurred before. Also, the same LIGHT blue hyperlink color is present when other style sheets are used. Even though I have rebooted several times and have disabled my cookies and then enabled them again, the LIGHT blue color has persisted.

As you probably know, "mandy" stated in a post in the FastMail forum yesterday that the colors of her FastMail interface had suddenly changed. I was wondering whether yours had also.
Jeremy/Rob, has something changed to make this happen? Thanks...

Lisa
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2003, 01:15 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I'm not aware of any relevent changes at our end...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2003, 02:04 AM   #8
merrie

Something similar happened to the links in neutral grey--dark blue became bright blue. I wrote Rob about it and he said, "I've found the problem, and will upload a fix in a day or two."

I don't know if this will fix similar problems for all styles.

Also, this problem happens for me with NS and Opera, but not with IE.
merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2003, 03:35 AM   #9
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

True..even Ive got a few msgs from ppl asking abt the chages that I made to naturals when I have made none.. something seems to have changed...

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2003, 03:36 AM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I've emailed Rob to ask him - sounds like he knows what's going on...
Old 17 Mar 2003, 05:05 AM   #11
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
To summarise: the changing of colours and look and feel is done via stylesheets. On most modern browsers, this is done by sending the stylesheet to the browser, which alters the rendering of the screen as appropriate.

Unfortunately, some older browsers don't support stylesheets very well (eg NS4), so for those browsers, we parse the stylesheet on the server side, and try and 'emulate' it using appropriate HTML <font> tags.

There was a bug in the parser that seems to only have recently manifested itself, because it happened to do with certain orderings of items in a hash.

I've fixed this now, and it should be uploaded shortly.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2003, 03:07 PM   #12
mandy

Well, I thought it was fixed but then it kept going back + forth. One minute it'd be the aqua on green + the next, it'd be back the way it was originally supposed to be, black on green (not green on green as I erroneously mentioned earlier). Now, no matter how many emails I go in + out of or how often I reload or refresh, it just stays the ugly aqua on green...ugh! The comeback was ever so fleeting! Has anyone else experienced this same problem??

Rob, would it be possible for you to figure this one out?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 03:30 PM   #13
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mandy
Rob, would it be possible for you to figure this one out?
Rob said it would be uploaded "shortly". So... just be patient!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 04:10 PM   #14
matthewo

What a horrible sounding situation... my beloved Jolly Green (of which i am the author) turning aqua...

I hope it all got sorted out.

Well at least now i know that someone is using it

Cheers.
Matt
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2004, 11:58 PM   #15
sandy47

Unhappy

I see it's been a while since thee were any postings here, but on a related subject...

I too, am on webtv, and I find that the stylesheets that incorporate bg images don't work for me. I get the colours, but not the images. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sandy.
sandy47 is offline   Reply With Quote