EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Aug 2019, 08:52 AM   #16
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
~ Demanding a password to change alias settings (which I do every day) is a major pain & utterly pointless...
For me this has turned using my email into a bloody nightmare
Without password protection, it would take a savvy passerby maybe 20 sec to edit an alias to forward a copy of all incoming mail to any address of their choosing, without you ever being the wiser.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2019, 11:16 PM   #17
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
...but search will not find anything if I type in eg d.2 or as you found, 84.
d*.*2 should work, as should *84
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2019, 04:21 PM   #18
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Interesting... The *84 idea does work, but d*.*2 does not. However *d.2 does.

Did you just experiment, or did you find a useful help page somewhere?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2019, 05:33 PM   #19
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:

I experimented. d*.*2 worked foe me - no clue why it didn't for you - sorry!
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2019, 11:53 PM   #20
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

It is worth remembering that some valid search strings will nevertheless end up with search failures, if there are many messages, as they time out. Search strings with multiple '*' are a good candidate for timeouts. They try to match as much text as possible, then need to backtrack when later parts of the search string do not match. This is computationally expensive.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2019, 01:47 AM   #21
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

> It is worth remembering...

This is not a discussion about searching messages, but instead one about using the search box on the Settings -> Users & Aliases screen of the FM webmail interface.

FM seem to have replaced a simple substring search with a more complex one that does not find things easily.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 03:07 AM   #22
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
> It is worth remembering...

This is not a discussion about searching messages, but instead one about using the search box on the Settings -> Users & Aliases screen of the FM webmail interface.

FM seem to have replaced a simple substring search with a more complex one that does not find things easily.
Regular expressions are, indeed, tricky if you are not used to them.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2019, 06:32 PM   #23
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

> Regular expressions are, indeed, tricky if you are not used to them.

I think I am used to them. I'd noted before that they use POSIX Extended REs but when I tried to find that info again in their help system a few minutes ago I was surprised not to be able to. Searching in 'Help' for regex produced only 4 hits, all Sieve-related. See: https://www.fastmail.com/help/search/?q=regex

Also, if searching the Users & Aliases page did allow regex one might expect \. to find a literal dot in an alias value, and it does not seem to.

If on the other hand their normal message-search logic is in use, one would expect a value enclosed in quotes to work, and it doesn't.

However it now works, it is much less useful than a filtered display where you're only shown those aliases whose values contain the literal characters you type in the search box.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:48 AM   #24
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

It seems to be a simple glob, but anchored only on the left.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2019, 05:33 PM   #25
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
It seems to be a simple glob, but anchored only on the left.
If you only have simple alias values, it may seem so. But if you recall I said earlier that for aliases of form:

pz.df.qa.word.2784@domain

the search will find things if it looks for some or all of any of the individual parts of that, so for example

p or pz
d or df
q or qa
w or wo or wor or word
2 or 27 or 278 or 2784

all filter the display in a sensible way. The problem seems to be that the search only looks at the characters between the dots AND it treats each 'word' as a separate entity.

So a search for, for eg: wor works, even though that's a long way from being anchored at the left of the alias' value.

That might as well have been implemented without any sort of wildcard use, as a simple "does the alias contain 'wor'?" test is enough to make that work, and is easy to understand.

But a search for eg rd or ord does not work. It only works if you code eg *rd, and I think that that's satisfied not by logic that matches "*rd" against "pz.df.qa.word.2784@domain", but logic that maches it against "word" or maybe ".word".

And compared with a simple subtring search that would find "f.q" easily, here you need something like "*f.q".

And all that might be fine, if there was any help available that told anyone how this works... but there isn't.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 10:32 PM   #26
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:

all filter the display in a sensible way. The problem seems to be that the search only looks at the characters between the dots AND it treats each 'word' as a separate entity.
It does both as far as I can see. It match against the whole string or an individual 'word'.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:03 AM   #27
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
It does both as far as I can see. It match against the whole string or an individual 'word'.
When you introduce an asterisk, yes. But not without.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 04:46 PM   #28
vehicularsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
I use alias emails for everything. One for every company, I often disable them to stop spam & re-enable before placing an order or if I phoned and need a response. It was quick & easy, it worked.

Before today, I'd go to aliases & type a bit of the company's name in the search box. I contain the company name within the email address so it is easy to identify. It cannot be at the beginning because it can cause problems sending an email from Welches7yuj7@fastmail.com to welchesfruit@wherevever.com

So I give each alias prefix before a bit of the company name so it would be Treeswelches7yui7@fastmail.com.
I could search the alias list in a second have the correct email address by typing in welches. I can see if it is enabled or not & change it if needed. Easy Peasy

Until Fastmail ruined it. Search is now broken. Review Run 3 online.
Searching for Welches shows no matches & the word none appears in the Alias section. If I search for anything that isn't the start of the email address it can no longer recognise it. So if I search for trees I get the entire alias list.

~ Alias search broken by the update
~ Demanding a password to change alias settings (which I do every day) is a major pain & utterly pointless. This is about as sensible as making us give a password to change the background
For me this has turned using my email into a bloody nightmare
The OP's method appears to be questionable in the first place.
vehicularsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:24 PM   #29
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I've raised a ticket with FM, asking for their comments on this.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:27 PM   #30
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicularsin View Post
The OP's method appears to be questionable in the first place.
There's no point in making an observation like that, unless you explain what you think is wrong with the OP's method.

Whatever the OP used to do, it no longer works. But it did work, for them, in the past.