EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Jan 2014, 11:34 PM   #1
send1

Runbox.com / Posteo.de

I am hesitating between Runbox.com and Posteo.de. Which one provides better service and is more secure? Or is there even any better European provider with all servers located in Europe (for approximately the same rate)?
send1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jan 2014, 11:36 PM   #2
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by send1 View Post
I am hesitating between Runbox.com and Posteo.de. Which one provides better service and is more secure? Or is there even any better European provider with all servers located in Europe (for approximately the same rate)?
EuMX.net is also hosting mail in Europe.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:02 AM   #3
north

Quote:
Well runbox = norwegian and not a part of the EUdSSR; posteo.de are german hipsters and politically left (wing) supporters and located in germany (a substate of the usa and member of the EUdSSR).
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2014, 07:44 AM   #4
jeffster

Quote:

I looked at Posteo.de and it does look a great service. However, the fact that you cant, at the current time, use your own domain with them, was a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully, Posteo will reconsider this in future, as I would then be happyt o try them out
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2014, 09:22 PM   #5
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
I looked at Posteo.de and it does look a great service. However, the fact that you cant, at the current time, use your own domain with them, was a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully, Posteo will reconsider this in future, as I would then be happyt o try them out
Do you've any news on this?

I would also give them a try if we could use our own domain..
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2014, 09:29 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Do you've any news on this?
Their FAQ says own domains are not supported.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2014, 10:19 PM   #7
che

There is also mailbox.org (Germany).

https://mailbox.org/en/can-i-use-e-m...h-mailbox-org/
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2014, 06:59 PM   #8
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
There is also mailbox.org (Germany).

https://mailbox.org/en/can-i-use-e-m...h-mailbox-org/
Ya, I know about mailbox.org... Sadly, they allow a very low number of aliases and their yubikeys are SERIOUSLY expensive!

They're asking 35euro for a standard yubikey (!!!!!)

Lastpass asks for around 25euro for the same yubikey, and you get 1 year of premium in that price!

They're trying to make serious money out of two factor authentication and that's just sad. I'm not gonna support them in any way.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
EuMX is also hosted in Europe, and has a lot of praise on this forum

Mail.ru seems to be getting more and more good comments and also is out of the US' preying eyes (to the furthest extent you can totally avoid a bit of spying)

Mail.be is from Belgium and with servers in Belgium, I'm just not sure if they have any backup server outside of the EU.

You can also get a domain (or free subdomain from .afraid.org or .eu.org) and use a free DNS provider in Europe to set up your own service on EU soil.

Two PS'es:

* a service openly left wing should not be an issue. People can be left wing ; some others may just use it because it's good service without caring about the political visions of the site ; and most of all the receiver of the email will likely not know and/or not care what the mail provider stands for.

* as long as you email to people using Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc the efford to avoid preying US eyes is pointless. It'd only work if both sender and receiver use a provider outside of the States.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2014, 06:56 AM   #10
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Ya, I know about mailbox.org... Sadly, they allow a very low number of aliases and their yubikeys are SERIOUSLY expensive!

They're asking 35euro for a standard yubikey (!!!!!)

Lastpass asks for around 25euro for the same yubikey, and you get 1 year of premium in that price!

They're trying to make serious money out of two factor authentication and that's just sad. I'm not gonna support them in any way.
and still keep in mind, mailbox.org is a political-motivated hoster too! i would never ever say that they support freedom of speech.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 10:08 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
EuMX is also hosted in Europe, and has a lot of praise on this forum
Agreed, though I don't use EuMX currently, I received superb service from them while I did.

Quote:
* a service openly left wing should not be an issue. People can be left wing ; some others may just use it because it's good service without caring about the political visions of the site ; and most of all the receiver of the email will likely not know and/or not care what the mail provider stands for.
Agreed: I always wonder why it is an issue as well - the far right extremists, and the services who support them, rarely ever get mentioned, I notice
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2014, 05:11 PM   #12
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
user should know about the background of a company before they sign-up. in this case its important to know because political motivated companies (left or right, or in any other way radical (animal liberation, religious) motivated) can use their access to your mails to act against you.
in my point of view, a mailprovider should be as independent as possible and not driven by political views.
the german situation is more specific. if you are not into the leftgreen corner you are in the far right corner. there is no differentiation! strange but true.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
user should know about the background of a company before they sign-up. in this case its important to know because political motivated companies (left or right, or in any other way radical (animal liberation, religious) motivated) can use their access to your mails to act against you.
in my point of view, a mailprovider should be as independent as possible and not driven by political views.
the german situation is more specific. if you are not into the leftgreen corner you are in the far right corner. there is no differentiation! strange but true.
So imagine you use one of the politically loaded email providers. They still have to obey laws, an anarchist cannot just pretend to suddenly live in an actual anarchy. So I very much doubt they'd get away without sanctions if they would read or use any emails from their customers. I also don't think, unless the user is very political himself, that such movement has anything to gain by using someone's email in which he talks about the weather, the school results of the kids, the scores of his favourite football team, the latest new TV show ... The average email will not really be useful for any political means.

All summarised I think there is little chance that using such service could lead to issues. Even if you support a certain political direction: nothing wrong with that. And wrongful assumptions would implicitly require the receiver of the email being fully aware of the backgrounds of the email providers, which is rarely the case.

I'd not even look up the believes of a service, if it's safe and steady then it's fine by me. I never was asked the question which ideology my email provider was obeying to.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote