EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Apr 2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Bosch

GMX anyone?

I am frankly surprised, search GMX on the forum returns nothing.

GMX is one of the hugest email providers, free and commercial started in Europe (Germany) a long time ago.

They got advanced and unique service features free and paid options which include SMS services etc.

you can check here http://www.gmx.com/
Bosch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Apr 2011, 06:24 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
have got many discuss threads here.
the main drawback of GMX is its slow load speed.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
iPhone User

If you do get a GMX account, it will eventually be blocked for no reason. It has happened to thousands upon thousands of users. Just read the comments on their Facebook page. It says it all. It's not worth bothering with.
iPhone User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
I am frankly surprised, search GMX on the forum returns nothing.
You can't search on 3 chars.
Try Google: gmx site:emaildiscussions.com.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Bosch

on German version of the site GMX site states that FREE accounts not logged into for 6 months will be deactivated.
Can't find same disclaimer on international site but could be silently applied the same rule to them. Possible explanation for blocked accounts. But I dont think I can fully trust them.

side-note:
one feature that stood out for me was ability to create multiple aliases and being able o collect them in same interface. basically youralias@gmx. (. any country extension, co.uk .fr.de etc.)
Bosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:30 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
on German version of the site GMX site states that FREE accounts not logged into for 6 months will be deactivated.
Can't find same disclaimer on international site but could be silently applied the same rule to them. Possible explanation for blocked accounts. But I dont think I can fully trust them.
Neither of my two gmx.com accounts have been blocked/locked AFAIK despite the fact that I only extremely rarely log into them. On the other hand, logging into them as rarely as I do, and never making any real use of them, there's no telling how long it might take to notice it if it they were blocked..

Quote:
side-note:
one feature that stood out for me was ability to create multiple aliases and being able o collect them in same interface. basically youralias@gmx. (. any country extension, co.uk .fr.de etc.)
That was a pretty big selling point to me when I first opened my accounts there soon after the service opened. However, that and all their other highly-touted features mean nothing since the service has always seemed essentially worthless to me -- for some of the reasons stated here, including the horrible web interface (although, sadly, Gmail and others are gradually "catching up" with them in that regard IMO), and horrible spam filtering (including many silent discards and the complete ignoring of my blacklist while continuing to accept into my Inbox repeated messages from the same spammers using the same From address), filters not working properly, and practically countless other problems and bugs.

The truth is, if they were the only email service available, I would probably completely give up on email once and for all as a viable medium of communication (which I've come very close to doing anyway).
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a GMX account and it works just fine. I have never experienced being blocked or locked out. I check my account at daily. I don't have problems with speed since I use rarely use the web interface. I use POP3 to access my account.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Ennis
Cornerstone of the Community

GMX is good. It is not slow. I don't know where that comes from. The problem is they won't host domains. So it's just yet another useless email address for me. But I like it.
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Shelded

Approaching 10 years using GMX.net They work without any concerns. I POP the account several times/day into my Fastmail account. Almost never use the web login. Nobody should criticize the performance of such a service.

Note that GMX.net and GMX.com may be different providers. My actual address was given as GMX.co.uk but I have also adopted their GMX.com variant.

Last edited by Shelded : 4 Apr 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
GMX.com and GMX.de are very different things. GMX.de is open only for residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland. They have an excellent reputation and are used by an amazing amount of people in Germany. Extremely reliable.

However, these are not open to sign up to if you are not in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Hence they created an international version, GMX.COM, which however does not use the same technology and has lots of flaws.

This forum does not allow searching for 3 digit search terms (which indeed can be tricky when thinking about AOL, GMX, etc). Use Google Advanced Search, searching for GMX and limit search results to the .emaildiscussions.com domain. You'll see plenty of topics, with however very mixed reactions.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2011, 05:41 AM   #11
Shelded

I won't say you're wrong because I am not sure, but my GMX.com (GMX.co.uk) has been German ever since I signed up. IT IS the real thing. Robust. Anyway you slice it, I have the pure GMX.de experience. I suppose possibly I have a login which redirects me to the good site?

I never lived in DE and squeaked in before they were clever enough to stop me. I may have misrepresented something, I dunno.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 05:42 AM   #12
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
GMX.com and GMX.de are very different things. GMX.de is open only for residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland. They have an excellent reputation and are used by an amazing amount of people in Germany. Extremely reliable.
Well, gmx.de/net/at/... indeed is used by a large amount of people, but do they really have an excellent reputation?
My perception is that they started quite early with their free email service, so it was easy for the mass to get an email address without any complication. Now that there are many email providers on the market, most people are stuck on gmx, because that is the email address they have been using the past 10 years and they don't want to change.
Nevertheless, gmx is one of the largest spammers in the free version. I've never seen any other email provider sending that many emails to their customers containing only advertising for their own payed services, combined with promotions of other "business partners".

Regarding the reliability: yes, usually they are reliable. but there was a recent case when incoming emails didn't arrive for 2-3 days, for free as well as for paying customers. when there really is something wrong with their servers, a large group of people is affected. not sure whether this increases the view of the service's reliability.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2011, 06:16 AM   #13
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
I won't say you're wrong because I am not sure, but my GMX.com (GMX.co.uk) has been German ever since I signed up. IT IS the real thing. Robust. Anyway you slice it, I have the pure GMX.de experience. I suppose possibly I have a login which redirects me to the good site?

I never lived in DE and squeaked in before they were clever enough to stop me. I may have misrepresented something, I dunno.
I have a GMX.net from those days too, when they opened it up for English Speakers. It was at least nine years ago.

But they soon closed it down, letting us keep the accounts.

Go in with IMAP, though, and the default folder names are all in German.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Shelded

I still can use the web interface in german. If I try to log in at gmx.net I am presented a german interface and I succeed. If I try to log in at gmx.com I get english and cannot log in. I'm in the USA (my profile shows my home address in "Deutschland" ). I have used their system in the past to change my aliases but can't figure if they still allow that. So I have a couple gmx.net and have abandoned the original gmx.co.uk alias.
(Yup, I was wrong above where I said I was using gmx.com -- it's gmx.net.)

Yet it's pretty evident the gmx.com is somehow related to the gmx.net people. There's a wikipedia entry which tries to explain this.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

Every now and then I have login problems (.com, not .de) - I'm not sure enough of their reliability to really use my gmx accounts for much of anything yet. Still kind of wary given all the negative comments about their service I've seen here

I think my main objection to their .com site, however, is the integration of facebook into the system. I detest FB and really hate the way it's worming into everything nowadays. When I go to the gmx site I'm not even sure whether I'm visiting gmx or FB, they have so many FB references and plugins plastered everywhere!
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote