EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Jul 2010, 06:51 AM   #1
m_s

Sending email from my own domain - and it saying so in the message headers

I have my personal domain set up (and hosted) on my Fastmail account. I have made a Personality with this domain and can send email from it both in the web interface and from my email application. However, though I select the personality when sending, messages all reach their addressees as having been sent from the Default Personality and not from my domain address. Have I missed a step somewhere, or is this just the way things are and there's no way to fix it?
m_s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jul 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

have you set up your email address in your virtual domain part? mine works ok I have just done a test.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Drencrom
Master of the @

I have catch all aliases for all my domains but it seems to me that it shouldn't matter as long as you have a personality. The issue here seems to be sending emails with the right From address, not receiving them. This is very strange what you describe, m_s. Can you try and change the From address to something completely different (e.g. che@whitehouse.gov or smth.) by clicking "Change" next to it and then send yourself a letter? Do you get the same result?

Last edited by Drencrom : 10 Jul 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:18 PM   #4
m_s

Yes, email is set up in virtual domain - as *@domain with target set to my main Fastmail account (not my main Personality, though it still arrives as sent from the main Personality).

And, yes, hitting 'Change' and typing nonsense made no difference - message still arrives as coming from my main Personality. In fact, I searched for the nonsense in the messages headers, and it doesn't appear there at all.

My domain email address is set up in my Personalities and in Virtual Domains, but the closest I can get to messages actually arriving from that address is to specify it as the Reply-to address in the Personalities page.

This recently was an issue when I needed to get changes made on a server that I'm registered on with my personal domain email - I couldn't send them an email from that address, try as I might! Eventually, they accepted a message sent from the Personality of the account because it at least included the address as the Reply-to.

I just tried deleting the Personality and remaking it, and exactly the same results. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by m_s : 10 Jul 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Further information
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Drencrom
Master of the @

So, if you delete your default personality, the same continues with the new default personality? I find you problem very interesting, personalities have always worked flawlessly with me, never a single problem.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:56 PM   #6
m_s

I hadn't tried deleting the Default, but only the one I need to work properly. I'll test deleting the Default later and report back here,,,
Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:42 PM   #7
m_s

OK, I really don't know why this has happened, but... I deleted my Default Personality (firstname.lastname@eml.cc) and then tested sending from the Personal Domain personality and it arrived as from the Personal Domain email address. Success! I then reinstated the Default, and tested again, and it appears still to be working correctly - both in Apple Mail.app and in the web interface.

I wonder what could have been happening? Thanks for your support Drencrom and Terry.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Drencrom
Master of the @

Wonderful!