EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 May 2015, 07:45 AM   #121
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Sergei - I am continually impressed with number and velocity of features you are single-handedly implementing. Great job. I hope you can sustain this service for the long term.

One major feature is interoperability of PGP with other services, so that not everyone has to have the same accounts of one service. E.g. I tried exporting and importing my public key between Scryptmail and Lavaboom to see if I can exchange encrypted emails. That was a no-go, unless I am doing something wrong.
Thanks rockman, working hard for a great good I would say There is a plan to make PGP, but seems like there are two protocol: PGP inline and PGP/MIME I will need to research some more into that to see what limitations exists and what is the best way of lifting them.

I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong, I personally experienced same problem with keys at lavaboom, even importing original keys form them still gives me a error message. I just assume there are some issues they will fix soon.
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 07:34 AM   #122
rockman

DarkMail

Speaking of interoperability, what are your thoughts on DarkMail? If DarkMail ever gets off the ground, would you build support in SCRYPTmail for it?
https://www.darkmail.info/

Or, is it far simpler to add public keys to your contacts for exchanging encrypted mail with third parties?
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 08:40 AM   #123
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Speaking of interoperability, what are your thoughts on DarkMail? If DarkMail ever gets off the ground, would you build support in SCRYPTmail for it?
https://www.darkmail.info/

Or, is it far simpler to add public keys to your contacts for exchanging encrypted mail with third parties?
I think darkmail aiming to protect identity for sender and recipient, which in fact we do but only between scryptmail users. PGP is just protecting context of conversation, leaving meta data in clear text.

I'm very positive soon or later both of this features will be implemented.
Old 20 May 2015, 12:44 AM   #124
rockman

To make it easy for the masses to adopt more secure email, then at least PGP interoperability should be a key feature. I think would open it up, since there are already plugins and apps to implement PGP with traditional email services such as Yahoo, Outlook and Gmail. As a matter of fact, having at least emails signed with a PGP signature would be a great initial cut. It's just way to easy to spoof traditional email. Make this user friendly and you will win customers.

I believe competition in this space should not be driven to win the most users of proprietary secure email services, but to compete on features, UI, usability and interoperability of secure email services.
Old 22 May 2015, 05:35 AM   #125
Here today

What happens to unencrypted messages that are received and their metadata? Are they encrypted?

To me this is even more important than sending encrypted e-mail. I know I'm never going to be able to convince the people I know to talk to me exclusively through encrypted e-mail. I would like for there to be no possibility to snoop in my e-mail account or request the data and see who I talk to, and which newsletters and sites I am subscribed to.

Also if there are limitations in keeping/displaying many encrypted messages with such a service with limited ressources, then it would be good to have a function to download or export e-mails somehow so that they don't remain captive on the server.
Here today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 06:05 AM   #126
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here today View Post
What happens to unencrypted messages that are received and their metadata? Are they encrypted?

To me this is even more important than sending encrypted e-mail. I know I'm never going to be able to convince the people I know to talk to me exclusively through encrypted e-mail. I would like for there to be no possibility to snoop in my e-mail account or request the data and see who I talk to, and which newsletters and sites I am subscribed to.

Also if there are limitations in keeping/displaying many encrypted messages with such a service with limited ressources, then it would be good to have a function to download or export e-mails somehow so that they don't remain captive on the server.
Yes, when server receive email from outside its get encrypted same way as you would send it from scryptmail, i.e 100% data encrypted, before stored in database.

Message import/export is something that may be implemented. Pls vote on our blog for feature, or add yours. Due to limited HR we working on highest ranked features
Old 22 May 2015, 06:24 AM   #127
Here today

Done. Actually, for now, if we can have more space or messages then it wouldn't matter as much to me. I understand there are limits and you're doing this out of goodwill at least for the beginnings, but we receive so many promotional e-mails these days that a limit of 1000 messages would last a few months tops before we'd have to delete everything.

I must join the others and congratulate you for this incredible service. You're adding a lot of worthwhile features and you go to great lengths to listen to your users. Thank you very much Sergei. I look forward to making this my main e-mail account.

And I must say I believe you when you say the metadata is encrypted. I know that on Protonmail there is a small delay in loading the message body, because the body of unencrypted messages is unencrypted. With Scryptmail there is a small lag when you load the list of e-mails itself. To my knowledge no other private e-mail service offers this yet.
Old 22 May 2015, 06:27 AM   #128
rockman

Quote:
I understand there are limits and you're doing this out of goodwill at least for the beginnings, but we receive so many promotional e-mails these days that a limit of 1000 messages would last a few months tops before we'd have to delete everything.
I would think promotional emails would have an ephemeral inbox lifespan.
Old 22 May 2015, 06:29 AM   #129
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Done. Actually, for now, if we can have more space or messages then it wouldn't matter as much to me. I understand there are limits and you're doing this out of goodwill at least for the beginnings, but we receive so many promotional e-mails these days that a limit of 1000 messages would last a few months tops before we'd have to delete everything.

I must join the others and congratulate you for this incredible service. You're adding a lot of worthwhile features and you go to great lengths to listen to your users. Thank you very much Sergei. I look forward to making this my main e-mail account.
Thank you. In fact we will be increasing limits for free accounts. Let me just finish migrating to reactjs.
Old 22 May 2015, 01:37 PM   #130
Here today

Another small suggestion I can think of which I reckon might be very easy to implement: an indicator of the amount of unread messages appearing on the browser tab. This way we can see while browsing when we have received a new e-mail.

I currently use Yandex, and one feature that I like is that it has an optional chime sound effect that plays in the browser when you receive a new e-mail.
Old 22 May 2015, 02:08 PM   #131
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Another small suggestion I can think of which I reckon might be very easy to implement: an indicator of the amount of unread messages appearing on the browser tab. This way we can see while browsing when we have received a new e-mail.

I currently use Yandex, and one feature that I like is that it has an optional chime sound effect that plays in the browser when you receive a new e-mail.
Infact there is number showeup in the browser tab, but I agree we can add some sound too, and mb make it blink
Old 23 May 2015, 02:45 AM   #132
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Infact there is number showeup in the browser tab, but I agree we can add some sound too, and mb make it blink
No blinking or sounds. Please!
Old 23 May 2015, 02:47 AM   #133
Here today

Quote:
No blinking or sounds. Please!
Blinking I don't care too much for, but a sound alert I found handy. The key is if it is optional. In Yandex it is a case that you check, so you have to opt-in.
Old 23 May 2015, 02:47 AM   #134
rockman

Quote:
a sound alert I found handy. The key is if it is optional. In Yandex it is a case that you check, so you have to opt-in.
Acknowledged.
Old 23 May 2015, 02:49 AM   #135
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Blinking I don't care too much for, but a sound alert I found handy. The key is if it is optional. In Yandex it is a case that you check, so you have to opt-in.
Yeah, of course it will be an option based.
Lol, I just imagined for a second, if rockman open email at midnight and there is fire siren coming instantly..