EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Apr 2011, 06:46 AM   #1
willinhwd

My Opera mail was being forwarded to Fastmail

Hello -

I now have both Opera and Fastmail accounts. I was having my Opera mail forwarded to my new Fastmail account when Operamail said they were shutting down. Do I still need to maintain (log in occasionally) to my new Opera/Fastmail accounts to receive the mail in my first Fastmail account?

I don't need 3 accounts. I've paid for the first Fastmail account, it's IMAP'd to my computer's mail app, and I've started telling people to use that one, so I want to keep it. But, there are still people and institutions that have my old Opera ones.

My guess is that a lot of people are in the same situation, but I didn't see any posts about it, or a mention of it in the announcements.

Thanks.
willinhwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Apr 2011, 06:35 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

If your operamail account has the same name (before the @) as your paid Fastmail account, then you are entitled to use it as an alias. I think you can just submit a support request asking them to convert the operamail account to be an alias of the Fastmail account.

Otherwise, it might be safest to set up a little script on your computer that periodically logs in to the operamail account just to ensure it stays active. In my experience, it is dangerous to rely on doing these things manually.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2011, 09:19 PM   #3
willinhwd

Thanks, BritTim

I've submitted a support ticket for the one that has the same name (how did I know that would come in useful someday?), and I'll see if I can do the script for the other one.

Cheers, mate!
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:08 PM   #4
willinhwd

Update

I went throught the process with support, and was, in fact, able to set up both operamail accounts as aliases of my fastmail account. I don't think it can be done without them. For anyone else who wishes to do this, the terminology he used was that he could "consolidate" both my operamail accounts into my fastmail account, then "both the operamail.com addresses would be set as an alias for you".

Problem solved. Thanks again for setting me on the right path, BritTim.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Glad it went smoothly.

Also, a belated welcome to the forums!
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote