EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Dec 2003, 08:35 PM   #1
stumcgoo

Reply with sent to address?

I thought this had been discussed before but i can not find any thing about it.

I have my own domain. When i sign up to something i use a unique email address (e.g websitename@mydomain.com).

When i receive an email from <a_website> (which would be sent to <a_website@mydomain.com) I would like to reply with the from address set to <a_website>@mydomain.com and not my main email address my friends use (stu@mydomain.com).

Is this possible? Something to do with personalities?

Cheers
Stu
stumcgoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Dec 2003, 10:45 PM   #2
PJS

Yes, it is something to do with personalities.

I do the same with my domain.

If you are really keen you can set up a personality for all the website specific addresses you have given out. Provided, of course your membership level allows (a Guest can have 2, Member 3, Full 8 and Enhanced 500!!!!). However this is tedious and you probably don't have enough allowance anyway.

You can, however, simply press the "Change" button just to the right of the “From” box on the compose screen. Then you can type in anything you want.

If you send a lot of mail to one of these sites then it would be best to set up a personality (options/personalities) for them, associate it with a dedicated folder (options/folders) and set up a rule (options/define rules) to file incoming mail from them in that folder. Then when you reply the correct personality will be selected automatically.

This, of course, assumes you are using the web interface. If you are not it gets a bit more complicated (no, rather awkward and not very satisfactory, especially with Outlook and Outlook Express).

Peter.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 12:29 AM   #3
stumcgoo

mmm. This is what i have done in the past, but i often forget or cant be bothered!

Im sure somebody suggested a way to do this automatically.

Like you suggested I have 100s of website signups so creating a personality and folder for every one would be a pain.

Cheers
stu
Old 14 Dec 2003, 03:25 AM   #4
XB77
Essential Contributor

I never thought of having an address specific to each suspect correspondent entity as one can do if one has one's own domain. It would then be easy to track which entity gave up your address to the world of spammers. It's like infinite oneoff addresses that are permanent. I suppose that evenutally the domain begins to get spammed with any manner of strings in front of the @, but that must be the case for anyone with a domain.
XB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 08:00 AM   #5
stumcgoo

Quote:
Originally posted by XB77
I never thought of having an address specific to each suspect correspondent entity as one can do if one has one's own domain. It would then be easy to track which entity gave up your address to the world of spammers. It's like infinite oneoff addresses that are permanent. I suppose that evenutally the domain begins to get spammed with any manner of strings in front of the @, but that must be the case for anyone with a domain.
Thats exactly why i do it (to catch spam). I have only actually had one spam mail sent to sales@mydomain.com (this is an address i have never used) in about 1 year. He/she was obviously trying anything on my domain. But still the spammer has to choose an address on my domain then get past all the spam filters!

I think I must have been dreaming about the reply to an email using sent to address! Anyone?

Cheers
Stu
Old 14 Dec 2003, 08:09 AM   #6
Gankaku

This "reply to from sent address" has been brought up many times before. hmm....I'm not sure if it's being worked on or not. I'll check the upcoming enhancements (you can too). You can also do a search for this problem and find where this problem's been discussed, and read through those threads.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 04:35 PM   #7
ewal
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by stumcgoo

I think I must have been dreaming about the reply to an email using sent to address! Anyone?

Stu

I don't have my own domain so use one of the fastmail domains - sent.com

I just sent from an extenal account an email to myself to <anything>@myusername.sent.com Waited for that to arrive in fastmail. Then hit reply. The "from" address was <anything>@myusername.sent.com

Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 05:38 PM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by stumcgoo
This is an old thread but it's the last I remember reading.

This one is about plus-addresses and sub-addresses
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...907#post144907

And this one is Rob's answer when asked about virtual domains
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...066#post145066

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote