EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jul 2004, 05:31 AM   #61
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Actually, you can rename only after an upgrade.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2004, 06:34 AM   #62
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by kurianja
Actually, you can rename only after an upgrade.
I remember, way back, that I posted you can rename and you posted you can't as we're doing now. Some follow up posts said they "had" renamed their accounts without upgrading and had no problems. I really don't want to test it as I like what I'm using. Has the policy changed officially since the time when you had the "you can rename your account once" policy?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2004, 07:42 AM   #63
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Not sure why/how of this before, but you definitely cannot rename now wihtoutt upgrading. Just tested.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 08:00 AM   #64
JeffK

But an enhanced user in good standing may make a special request to fastmail support to change their username, can't they?

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2004, 08:07 AM   #65
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by kurianja
Not sure why/how of this before, but you definitely cannot rename now wihtoutt upgrading. Just tested.
Thanks for testing it. Now I'll quit posting that you can rename and I appoligize to the other poster for saying you can...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2004, 08:23 AM   #66
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
But an enhanced user in good standing may make a special request to fastmail support to change their username, can't they?

Jeff
Definitely. The only requirement is that they shouldn't be from Kingaroy
Old 29 Jul 2004, 08:26 AM   #67
JeffK

Got me!
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2004, 01:08 PM   #68
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
Thanks for testing it. Now I'll quit posting that you can rename and I appoligize to the other poster for saying you can...

Sherry
That's fine.

I thought you had to upgrade first, and thanks for the confirmation, Kurian.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:35 AM   #69
jfinlayson

on-the-fly from address

Quote:
Originally posted by s a
i'm trying to focus on what FM offers that no other webmail provider does - this may be rather restrictive so feel free to contribute items that are RARE (and where else they occur).

i'll set the ball rolling;
  • Sieve scripting (Tuffmail)
  • On the fly "from address" (Bluebottle)
Does Bluebottle support on-the-fly from addresses? I recently registered there, and I don't see how that's done. The From field in the BlueBottle's web mail compose window is not editable. In FM, there's a "Change" button next to the from address that lets you alter it. I see nothing like that in BlueBottle.
jfinlayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2005, 05:51 PM   #70
s a
Master of the @

Re: on-the-fly from address

Quote:
Originally posted by jfinlayson
Does Bluebottle support on-the-fly from addresses?
[ I don't use Bluebottle ] They used to support this feature. As far as I'm aware they did not announce or explain their sudden decision to simply disable the feature (probably an abuse-prevention move). The feature will probably return as a part of their premium offering.
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:49 PM   #71
specialK
Essential Contributor

intellegant autocomplete for To: BCC and CC addresses. I know many others provide nicknames, but FM guesses which address you mean, for Jow Bloggs if I enter:

j bloggs

joe

etc then it still comes up - great!
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2005, 02:35 AM   #72
jfinlayson

Re: on-the-fly from address

Quote:
Originally posted by s a
[ I don't use Bluebottle ] They used to support this feature. As far as I'm aware they did not announce or explain their sudden decision to simply disable the feature (probably an abuse-prevention move). The feature will probably return as a part of their premium offering.
By itself, I don't have much use for this feature, but in combination with something like FM's plus-addressing or subdomain-addressing it provides an efficient way to generate disposable addresses on the fly.

If abuse (spoofing) is a concern, the mail service provider could restrict the editable portion of the email address during on-the-fly changes to ensure that the from address is indeed owned by the sender.
jfinlayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2005, 07:27 AM   #73
rbpickup
Master of the @

Representative of:
Truedomain.net
Yes, the ability to spoof (even though it may be legimate spoofing) was the reason we did disable the ability to change the from address from within the webmail environment. This of course does not stop spoofing when sending using an email client.

Robert
rbpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2005, 07:51 AM   #74
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rbpickup
Yes, the ability to spoof (even though it may be legimate spoofing) was the reason we did disable the ability to change the from address from within the webmail environment.
I do not consider this to be 'spoofing' at all. Spoofing is pretending to be someone else.

If the email (and return address) are legitimate, it is not considered spoofing by either the sender or the receiver - therefore it is not a spoofed email.

On the fly changing of the 'from address' (to an address you have not previously defined) is a 'Fastmail unique offering' that nobody else (afaik) can match.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2005, 11:16 AM   #75
Shelded

This spoofing was incredibly convenient for some of us a week ago. I used another FM account while awaiting mine to be restored. When I was restored I just copied all the mail from the folders in one account to the other account. Tada.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote