EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 27 Feb 2019, 03:40 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You're not using the official Gmail app

Got this e-mail today from Google:

Quote:
Hi Fred,

You're not using the official Gmail app on your Android phone or tablet. The Gmail app is:

• Smarter: Respond to emails quickly with suggested responses
• Safer: Ensure the highest level of security for your Gmail
• Faster: See important mail first by separating social and promotional messages

Update to the official Gmail app to get the most out of Gmail on your Android phone or tablet.

SWITCH NOW

The Gmail Team
Thoughts, anyone?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2019, 09:21 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Personally, I like the Gmail app. Lightweight, simple, fast, and reliable.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2019, 09:29 PM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

So which app are you using?. The Gmail app is just like any other mail app. You can disable a lot of the "features" if you want. It's not as light as K-9 mail app on my (old) tablet, it takes much longer to load. In my opinion Google should be stopped from referring to all of its products as an "upgrade". This is blatant false advertising.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2019, 12:41 AM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps I need to expand on the reason for the post.

My reason for posting is nothing to do with their app, it's with the fact that Google know that I'm not using their app.

As regards my app of choice, it's AquaMail Pro - it just fits for what I want.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 12:52 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
it's with the fact that Google know that I'm not using their app.
Ha! They probably know what you had for breakfast.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 12:54 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Ha! They probably know what you had for breakfast.
I am a creature of habit, so you're probably right!
Old 28 Feb 2019, 01:06 AM   #7
Adrian Bell

My ISP email used Gmail as a provider a while back. I used to use Thunderbird (an insecure app according to Google) on a netbook when I travelled. Every time I tried to send an email when I was abroad I got an email from Google telling me that I was emailing from an unusual location and that I had to log in via their web page to verify my identity. This made the whole thing impractical. My ISP have their own system now which works much better. However I wonder if you would have the same problem using AquaMail or possibly they will be a bit more lenient with mobile apps?
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2019, 09:15 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

I have not traveled abroad in some time, but the last time I did I had the same problems with Gmail. I also recently moved and changed my phone number, and I am still in the process of discovering the many, many sites and apps where my old phone number and address still reside. Having anything out of date on your Google contact information could prove fatal if you are trying to retrieve access to an account and you realize that they are trying to send access codes to an old phone number or email address. Not sure of the answer to this problem, other than to consider having a backup email service that can be switched to if you lose access to your main Gmail account. In my case, I back it up to another Gmail account, which might not be ideal. This is an obvious huge disadvantage to those of us who regularly use free email with limited or no access to real customer service via human beings. I have had to work with G Suite CS and you can reach a real human there, so that might be an option if you are a frequent traveler.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 09:32 PM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have not traveled abroad in some time, but the last time I did I had the same problems with Gmail.
I've had this happen to me, but I was prepared for it, so it wasn't really a problem.

The use of an authenticator app would be my primary way to ensure access to my Gmail/Google Apps accounts.

As a way of a back-up, in the event my 'phone should fail etc, I have also taken screenshots of the QR codes for my accounts, and they are saved on various devices I would always have to hand - so a re-scan of the QR code to an authenticator app, and I'm (fingers crossed!) back in business.

And, yes, I have tested the saved QR codes, and they do work.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 09:12 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Google can be tricky about this stuff. This thread reminded me of a Gmail account I hadn't checked in awhile and when I went to log in it failed even though I had the correct username, password, and even 2FA set up. For some reason Google detected unusual activity and prevented me from logging in unless I could enter a code sent to my recovery phone number, which unfortunately is no longer correct. I couldn't select any other option even though on my account I have set up alternate email addresses and one-time backup codes! Google wouldn't give me those options. I finally was able to log in successfully using my phone, which apparently Google recognized. I could then reset my phone number to the correct one. I was once locked out when abroad even though I had the correct username and password, but in order to set up my phone service I needed to access a message sent to my email. This effectively blocked me from getting 2FA codes via the app or SMS, and I had no wifi. In any case, the moral of the story is to think ahead, have backup email setups, and have patience!
Old 1 Mar 2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline
Thoughts, anyone?
Just ignore it bud,stay with what you like
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2019, 09:44 PM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Just ignore it bud,stay with what you like
If it is like other advertising on the Internet you will get that prompt for weeks and months. That is one of banes of being tracked for advertising purposes--the algorithms just won't give up. I recently searched for and purchased a small backpack, and weeks later my online activity is full of ads for backpacks and even the very one I have already purchased. You would think this is wasted ad dollars, but apparently not according to the algorithms.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 05:08 AM   #13
emoore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bell View Post
Every time I tried to send an email when I was abroad I got an email from Google telling me that I was emailing from an unusual location and that I had to log in via their web page to verify my identity. This made the whole thing impractical.
Same type of problem with Gmail if you use a VPN (at home) with any email client.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2019, 11:14 PM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Same type of problem with Gmail if you use a VPN (at home) with any email client.
I had this problem while trying to login to a second Gmail account from home using a laptop that was already logged into one of my Gmail accounts. No VPN but I was tethered to my cell phone, which was also logged into Gmail. I wonder what is considered "suspicious activity" about that?
Old 4 Mar 2019, 09:20 PM   #15
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
it's with the fact that Google know that I'm not using their app.
My thoughts? Well your accessing Gmail via another email App. Seems reasonable they would know your not using the Gmail App.

I use the Gmail App on my phone and Claws Mail on my computer.

Back in 2013 I traveled to the US for a couple of months. I checked my mail almost daily from my laptop while there, it took three weeks for Google to notice unusual activity.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote